Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pij's have been prescribed Panacur, they have been diagnosed with "eimeria" I believe. So the vet said they should get .16 mL of it once a day for ten days. From what I'm seeing panacur is usually negative for pigeons, and is somewhat outdated for them. I gave them one dosage last night, and this morning one of my pigeons threw up undigested seed. Is this related/a side effect of the Panacur, or could it be something else? He seems fine other than that. He's still walking around and cooing and doing his thing. But I'm thinking about stopping the panacur, I don't want to make them more sick or do anything detrimental to their health. Any advice or thoughts on what I should do? I have some pro-biotics and medicine on the way for them, I was just hoping I could do something sooner for them.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Amprollium is safer and is available at feed stores and online. Glad Steven is acting as you describe, the signs of an assertive pigeon who is getting to know you. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, pigeons do not respond well to panacur. It is poison to them.

There are so many better wormers out there for pigeons. Here are some: http://www.siegelpigeons.com/catalog-worms.html

Here is a link on coccidiosis: http://siegelpigeons.com/asked-coccidiosis.html

I would even use garlic until you get a "pigeon friendly" wormer.

I ordered this in the mail, I read that this should help with it. I also have some garlic things on the way. http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/medications/multiple-use-medications/2508-aviocox-powder
Is the vomiting related to the panacur, or is it something else I should worry about? I saw the same pigeon regurgitate I think, some liquid out of the blue a month or so ago, and after it he seemed fine, and I haven't seen him do anything like that till now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amprollium is safer and is available at feed stores and online. Glad Steven is acting as you describe, the signs of an assertive pigeon who is getting to know you. :)
It's not just Steven that is on it, I have two others too, but they seem to be acting normal overall. The one that vomited seems a little lethargic though, like it was warned. I'm going to stop the treatment and wait. What should I tell the vet?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Yes...do stop the panacur. It will kill your pigeons. You can tell the vet exactly that.
Coximed will work for coccicdia but not for worms.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
My pij's have been prescribed Panacur, they have been diagnosed with "eimeria" I believe. So the vet said they should get .16 mL of it once a day for ten days. From what I'm seeing panacur is usually negative for pigeons, and is somewhat outdated for them. I gave them one dosage last night, and this morning one of my pigeons threw up undigested seed. Is this related/a side effect of the Panacur, or could it be something else? He seems fine other than that. He's still walking around and cooing and doing his thing. But I'm thinking about stopping the panacur, I don't want to make them more sick or do anything detrimental to their health. Any advice or thoughts on what I should do? I have some pro-biotics and medicine on the way for them, I was just hoping I could do something sooner for them.

They have been diagnosed with coccidia, and Panacure is a dewormer. One has nothing to do with the other. Panacure, which is Fenbendazole is toxic to pigeons. I did tell you in your other thread, that people have lost birds by treating them with Panacur.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have been diagnosed with coccidia, and Panacure is a dewormer. One has nothing to do with the other. Panacure, which is Fenbendazole is toxic to pigeons. I did tell you in your other thread, that people have lost birds by treating them with Panacur.
I know, but after my bird vomited, who isn't Steven, I felt like it would be more appropriate to make another thread. I will contact the vet when I can, and I am stopping the treatments. They should be okay though, correct? I only gave them one dosage.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts

Panacure is a dewormer
Amprollium is for cocci
2 different things.
Panacur is Fenbendazole which has been proven to be toxic to pigeons. Many vets don't even realize this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Panacure is a dewormer
Amprollium is for cocci
2 different things.
Panacur is Fenbendazole which has been proven to be toxic to pigeons. Many vets don't even realize this.
Okay, thank you very much. I will let them know, and I will wait for my supplies to come in, and try to get some garlic in the mean time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Panacur? That is what I use to worm my horses! Fenbendazole is the active ingredient and it is said to be quite toxic to birds. I would not use it. I would also look around for another vet. I don't know why a licensed avain veterinarian would prescribe a known toxic substance to you when there are known lethal side effects for the animal.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Panacur? That is what I use to worm my horses! Fenbendazole is the active ingredient and it is said to be quite toxic to birds. I would not use it. I would also look around for another vet. I don't know why a licensed avain veterinarian would prescribe a known toxic substance to you when there are known lethal side effects for the animal.
Because it isn't toxic to many others. But it is to pigeons.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ehh, she is an exotic vet, she saw my bearded dragon when he was sick, and she has seen pigeons before. How do I change vets? I'm sure we can find another, but I don't know how I would cut ties with them.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
What do you mean? You just start going to someone else for the pigeon. But there are many avian vets who are not up on pigeons.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Because it isn't toxic to many others. But it is to pigeons.
I know, but the fact that she did not know it was toxic to the animal she was prescribing it to, and did not look it up before telling the owner to give it to their pet without knowing if it was safe or not, seems extremely irresponsible. If that was a human she was prescribing to it would be malpractice. That was all I was saying. I hate it when vets don't do their homework and I always wonder if they think "well it's just a pigeon" because I had that said to me before I found a good vet for my birds.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
We see that happen a lot with vets. They know more about the other birds they treat than they do pigeons. But it's also hard to find a good vet to treat pigeons unless you want to travel a lot further.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We see that happen a lot with vets. They know more about the other birds they treat than they do pigeons. But it's also hard to find a good vet to treat pigeons unless you want to travel a lot further.
Yeah, I talked to the vet office and they said the vet would look into it. The vet then called me back and said it was toxic to pigeons in higher doses, 3x the dose she gave my pigeon would've been toxic she said, I believe. Then she said how medicine for people is the same, but I thought that was a given?? But she's going to give me some other medication, free of charge she said, I guess. When I get it, I'll make sure to leave a post in this thread detailing what it is.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Many pigeons have died when given the correct dosage for the med.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many pigeons have died when given the correct dosage for the med.
Yeah, I know, but I didn't want to argue with the receptionist, and I don't know how to go about telling the vet that they're still wrong. When I get the new meds I wanna check if they're safe too.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It would be good for the vet to understand, simply so that they don't prescribe it for someone else's pigeon. It could cause harm.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts