Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there I found two babay pigeons and start feeding them with mixed grounded lentus , quinoa, lentus and rice .
After 10 days one is growing good but second one got paralyzed leg and became skinny. Bother eating same diet.
I was wondering what could that be ? Some thing related Vitamin D deficiency or or deficiency?
I'm posting some pictures and would be happy if you could help me . I tried to sysring feed with water (added salt and sugar) . View attachment 97889

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you are in N Y you can bring to the Wild Bird Fund on Upper West side for treatment. I only know that older pigeons can get paralysis from too much lead in the water but I am not sure that would effect a baby one.
Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Toronto Canada .I think it's something related to feeding . Probobly some deficiency. Any idea what to feed to baby pigeon and how to help this little one ?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I couldn't view the attachment, will try later on the computer. Can you get a handraising formula for baby parrots and parakeets? Have all the necessary vitamins they need. Are they both eating the same amount? Is the smaller one keen on getting fed? Could be from lack of calcium.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn't view the attachment, will try later on the computer. Can you get a handraising formula for baby parrots and parakeets? Have all the necessary vitamins they need. Are they both eating the same amount? Is the smaller one keen on getting fed? Could be from lack of calcium.
They were eating the same amount but recently this one became weak . Less muscle and paralyzed.
Will get parakeets formula this morning.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Still no attachment. Any other symptoms? Can you post a photo of his droppings as well? Can you also take a flashlight and check deep inside his throat for yellow growths? He might have canker.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No diarrhea but will check for canker.
Not eating getting worse.... Try to force feed but I'm at work and can't do till 7 hrs. But syrenge feed before I go to work.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Is the crop emptying well? The urates of the droppings should be white. If the beak and throat is clear, you can handfeed defrosted green peas. Much quicker and safer. Just put one deep inside the beak and over the tongue and let him swallow. Feed 90 peas per day, depending on how good the crop is emptying. Is he drinking more water than the other baby? Canker makes them very thirsty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not drinking at all. I'm planning to leave my work and feed him with parakeets formula.
But I will try green pees as well. I think the bik is soften a little bit.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
You can add some apple cider vinegar (5ml acv to 1 litre of water) and use this as a base to mix with the dry formula. This will help with digestion. Sounds as if he might have a calcium deficiency, but this won't affect his eating and drinking. You can give extra calcium with added Vit D3. The D3 will help with absorption of the calcium. Something else might be wrong with him. Remember the photo of his droppings and to check if the crop is full or not (so basically if he is digesting his food that you've fed this morning).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I fed grounded Brockley (3 cc) to help with calcium deficiency as well as some salt-suger water before I leave . Hope it helps but going to feed green pees in 2 hrs and post new pictures. Hopefully get better. I'm just trying to keep him hydrdrated enough. I will use vinegar as well.
Thank you for all tips . Hopefully could save this little one .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm just worried about him not drinking water to become dehydrated . Andy idea ?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
You can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) to get him to drink. Peas have a lot of moisture, so don't be worried if he does not drink. Have you checked inside his beak and throat? Photo of his droppings will also help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No diarrhea. Not interested in water once I offer him so try to syringe feed . Will check their now

1 - 20 of 47 Posts