Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Throat is clear . The bike is soft I think vitamin deficiencies. Do you think green beans will help ?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Peas not beans. No, you will need to get liquid calcium with added Vit D3 from a petshop. If you can't get, try to get cuttlefishbone. Also has lots of calcium. You can crush till fine powder and mix in with his food. But then he will need direct sun exposure for about half an hour every day. Birds get their D3 from the sun and this helps with calcium absorption.

Is the crop emptying? You haven't posted a photo of his droppings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Peas not beans. No, you will need to get liquid calcium with added Vit D3 from a petshop. If you can't get, try to get cuttlefishbone. Also has lots of calcium. You can crush till fine powder and mix in with his food. But then he will need direct sun exposure for about half an hour every day. Birds get their D3 from the sun and this helps with calcium absorption.

Is the crop emptying? You haven't posted a photo of his droppings.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Is he deteriorating? Is there no way you can get him to an avian vet? He probably needs antibiotics and in your country you will probably need a prescription.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Correct but I can get it . Do you know what kind of Antibiotics is good for him ? Maybe I could get it .

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Start with Nystatin for yeast. Give him 0.4 to 0.5 ml on an empty crop twice a day. Wait half an hour and then feed him. This is not an antibiotic and does not get absorbed into the body, but needs to come in contact with the yeast to kill it. First try this and if there's no improvement after 2 or 3 days, continue with the meds below.

Metronidazole for canker. He needs 10 mg per 100 gr birdweight once a day. So if he weighs 200 gr, then 20 or even 25 mg will be ok. Treat 7 to 10 days.

Betamox (500 mg amoxycillin capsules). You can empty the capsule and divide the powder into heaps of 25 mg. Give twice a day.

Best to give: take small piece of wet bread, soak with the powder and feed to him. I've used both meds together in the past, so will be ok. He can have yeast, canker or a bacterial infection. By using the above, you will be covering almost anything.

I hope you can get all these meds and that there will be an improvement.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Use the amoxycillin also for 7 to 10 days. So metro once a day and the amoxy twice a day. You can also keep him on the Nystatin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm going to try metro however I think it's vitamin deficiencies and I couldn't find Multi vitamin for birds .

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Well he definitely has a vitamin and calcium deficiency. If you think he is sick as well, won't hurt to treat him.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Gave him amoxicillin . Will try to help if not I'm considering to put him done😌

21 - 40 of 47 Posts