in Brooklyn NY. Bird is paralyzed.Vet says if back is broken that it should
be put down. He is fine otherwise. Has anybody ever kept a pigeon with
a broken back? Am I being foolish for wanting it to live? Please i need
advice!

Pat

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Can you describe his\her abilities. Do you mean completely still and unable to move from one place to another at all ? Wings unable to move or spread ? That sorta thing ?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Hi Everybody haven't posted for a while.Picked up a pigeon from AC & C
in Brooklyn NY. Bird is paralyzed.Vet says if back is broken that it should
be put down. He is fine otherwise. Has anybody ever kept a pigeon with
a broken back? Am I being foolish for wanting it to live? Please i need
advice!

Pat
So I think its not diagnosed yet, right ? Can be a case of leg paralysis or must be deficient in calcium and just laid eggs.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
There have been a couple of permanently paralysed pigeons that were kepts as pets of members of either this forum or fprc (or both!)

Cynthia

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
This bacteria...Clostridium botulinum ...causes paralysis that would lead one to suspect a broken back. The bacteria thrives in damp conditions and is quite common in pigeons in spring and fall. Fortunately, it's easily treated with antibiotics.
Egg paralysis Sreech suggested as a possibility is also easily treated.
I understand this isn't answering the question you asked but it just feels like you are a bit a head of yourself with the question at all. I do understand how easy it is to worry though.
If it turns out the bird does have a broken back and you want to think about what to do...take the time you need. Never allow anyone to pressure you into euthanasia until you are ready to accept that has the best solution. Sometimes it is though, in my opinion.
When are you taking the bird to the vet?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the exception of not being able to move its legs it seems fine not in pain
trying to fly . When I first picked him up the droppings were green very liquidy
and smelled bad. I gave him some B-12 and some tri sulfa and he seemed to respond. I touched his feet and he curled his toes a little bit today. He is eating
and drinking on his own. Is is possible it could be Salmonellosis?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
With the exception of not being able to move its legs it seems fine not in pain
trying to fly . When I first picked him up the droppings were green very liquidy
and smelled bad. I gave him some B-12 and some tri sulfa and he seemed to respond. I touched his feet and he curled his toes a little bit today. He is eating
and drinking on his own. Is is possible it could be Salmonellosis?[/QUOTE]

Sure is a possibility, especially when you consider that pigeons feed on the ground and so do rodents. Both are attracted to the same food. It would be easy for a pigeon to eat some rodent dropping or food contaminated by a rodent.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Kidney inflamation pressing upon the Sciatic Nerve can do this...Legs go out, and or they can loose bowel discretion inhibiting elimination.

Check reflex of the opening of the Vent to touching...

Any grey gainy-granular material in the poops? Anything sticking unusually to the Vent area Feathers?

Anyway, I have had various ones with pro-tem limp Legs, and from various causes...and, these can resolve...so...keep an open mind, and maybe we-all can narrow this down a little as for what is doing it, and hence, what to do about it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brooklyn is improving

Hi everybody:

Brooklyn the pigeon is improving. I have an appt for the new vet on Friday
and continued pallative care. His legs are responding to touch and he is eating
and pooping alot. Will let you all know what the vet says. Thanks

Pat:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brought Brooklyn to another vet.Vet said he/she had some sort of impact injury
not a broken back and just to wait and see what happens. Brooklyn ate alot of
seed this weekend and has been crawling around on her butt using her wings. The vent area is very swollen and she passing very liquid droppings.I am concerned Any advice?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Agreed that it's something else going on- & gotta say - swollen vent and vet did NOT prescribe anything ? That's a bit odd !! At least prescribe some anti-inflammatory and perhaps a wide-net antibiotic ! Can you contact NYC Pigeon Rescue (do a websearch) and get a referral for a good avian vet ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry guys i didn't have access to email. This problem occurred after I brought
her to vet on Friday 4/30. Actually started on Monday 5/2 @ 2 am. I got a hold
of the vet and she took her from me on Monday night. I haven't heard back
yet as to her condition.

Pat

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brooklyn went to the RAINBOW BRIDGE

Sorry to report that Brooklyn died yesterday. Will give my tribute in Hall of Love

Pat:(

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am so sorry.

Cynthia

1 - 20 of 20 Posts