Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my last couple of round of babies,some of them are growing to be undersized and light weighed.They do eat and drink,but are puffy alot of times.I do have babies that are healthy in the same loft,but the weak ones come from the same pairs.I also have one of the two eggs hatch,or some times both hatch with one of them dying afterwards.

I had a hen that was paralyzed one day and fine the next.Then the cock did the same thing after that( couldn't jump a couple of feet up,not even walk)I have this pair by them selves for now(they're puffy for the most part).The cock did feed his babies though when they were together,now i have a pair that adopted the young with their own.All this happened 3 days ago.

I just wormed the babies ,and put the whole loft on amoxicillin 3 days ago.i am thinking they have paratyphoid.Now my question are??

Is it possible to heal the young birds in which they grow fully ,healthy and be able to fly?
Is it possible to heal the pair that was paralyzed,or should they be removed completely as i am worried they'll be carriers for ever.
Is it better to remove all the birds that i think has the disease,or is my whole loft infected now?
And last can i give grit with amoxicillin at the same time?

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
It could be paratyphoid but it really sounds more like cocciida and worms or both.
Definitely treatable. Please don't allow any babys to hatch until you have figured this out and treated your birds. Please replace all eggs with wooden or plastic ones.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Personally, I don't think Amoxicillin is going to help with your birds. I suggest you call one of the major pigeon supply houses and get yourself either individual bird treatment meds (tablets/capsules) or loft treatment meds (most usually put in the drinking water). There are treatments for paratyphoid, coccidiosis, worms readily available and not that expensive. It's not necessary to "destroy" your birds .. it is necessary to treat them for what ails them.

Is your loft totally secure from rodents? If not, then paratyphoid is a real possibility.

Terry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Isn't amoxicillin one of the best treatments for paratyphoid?or maybe you're suggesting to get something for both diseases.As far as my loft it's very secure.I did bring birds from different places though.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
The best treatment is prevention. Regular use of the salmonella vaccine has proven effective. Also, keeping new birds quaranteened, minimizing any contact with rodents, roaches, and wild birds, keeping an acidic environment in the droppings, regular cleaning and disinfecting the lofts, are all extremely important in prevention.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
The difference between two from the same round of eggs, and even more if one baby dies, does suggest paratyphoid. Not a certainty of course, but it may be that one or both of the parents is a carrier. I don't believe in overindulgence with antibiotics, but I'd personally feel in this situation it could be useful to treat the adults, even if only to eliminate one likely cause of the problem.

I agree with Terry - Amoxycillin is not the right antibiotic for suspected paratyphoid. It is a constituent part of Clavamox which would be used (carefully) for potential infection from wounds like may occur with cat or dog attacks. Different form of infection requiring different treatment. . The most suggested for Paratyphoid is Baytril, but I understand this is not now available in the US - but, Terry or others should be able to tell you a similarly acting medication.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.