Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I found your forum and hope you don't mind me posting to ask this question of you. I got so fed up today I got online and here I ended up. This is long, I apologize.

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers with this question I'm about to ask. I might not be asking it right as I'm not sure what to ask.

I live near Chicago. I always have a bunch of regular pigeons hanging outside on the phone wires and they're not stupid, as I throw some seed out on the roof a few times a day for the other birds (I live in an apartment and am disabled, so this small patch of rooftop is all the "birding" I can get in these days; I love birds and used to own 2 Hyacinth macaws.)

Two years ago I noticed a banded pigeon had joined their midst. He'd come near the window and seemed very scared. I knew nothing of any of this so researched and found the world of racing and fancy pigeons. I realized this was a special bird. I took great pains and patience to capture him by setting up a kind of cozy window room and after 2 days he started sleeping in it; one night I quietly reached out and closed it. I called someone I found online who thanked me and gave me the name of the owner, and said he'd call the owner and have him call me to arrange a pick up. He also gave me this man's #. The man never called, so the next day, after 3 calls and leaving 3 messages, I finally got a call back and he couldn't have cared less. He was annoyed and rude. He said he couldn't pick the bird up until the next day (I'd already had it 2). I kept it in my old Parrot's cage (we had a nice time). I had to call this guy twice more until he finally came out - he lives about 7 blocks from me. He pulled up in a van, grabbed the bird out of the box I had it in, turned it over to look at the band, threw (and I mean threw) it into the back of the van and sped off. No thank you, no hey great...nothing. I was sorry I gave it back.

Over the years I end up with several of this guy's birds at various times especially when there's a bad storm I always will have one if not two that are hanging outside with the regular birds. They are very noticeable as they are patterned and stand out; some are just built differently. Most are banded; some are not. A month ago I had 3 birds, all banded, but one was a metal band I couldn't read. One had a white band that was impossible to see; one had a green band. Sometimes after a day or two i never see them again so I've learned to not worry right away. When I throw seed out for the birds they are starving and careful to pick out the tiny seeds. I put a bowl of water out in the window ledge and they all came right up to it and drank. I tried to capture them again but couldn't.

I got online and found the # of a man who is long retired from the pigeon biz but was very nice and talked to me for a long time about the whole matter as this is really upsetting me. He told me that if a racing/homing pigeon runs away or leaves and is gone for a while the owner usually doesn't want it back (don't know if this is true) as it's seen as untrainable. He explained to me the delicate and time consuming relationship and care one has to put into a bird. He looked up the name of whose birds these might be or who I could call in the area for help and it turned out it was the same name of the guy who was rude when I found his bird before. He's the only person in this area who has pigeons. I told the man on the phone that I couldn't catch these and the man said there wasn't anything to be done unless they're caught. You can't call them and they come like dogs so it wouldn't help to call the owner and tell him I have a bunch of his birds outside all the time, I don't have any kind of window cage to entice them in. Over the next two weeks one left and two got killed by a falcon that hangs out here.

Well this week I have SEVEN birds here. This is what brought me here today. We have had no storms to spook them over here. Four are banded - white bands. They are all beautiful - one is pure white, one is light coral with a long tan beak that I've never seen on a bird. The others are white with a bit of black speckling or black with white splatters. All of them are enough that when you see them you go "wow..what kind of pigeons are those!" I let them be for 2 days but they hang around here and even come to the window and peck on it. Finally I put a bowl of millet seed and quail seed on a bowl and stood there so the other pigeons who were afraid of a 'person' were shied off for a bit and I can't tell you how starving these birds were. They all flew in and devoured it. They are right there about 4 feet below me; if I had a net gun and could shoot it over the mess of pigeons and then sort them out, I could get them :)

So, sorry for this long story but my question is - what is wrong with this guy who has these birds that he has so many of them missing all the time, and over here? How can you be so careless that you continually have at least 2-5+ birds gone from your collection? Maybe I'm wrong here but why own birds if you have some kind of set-up that you lose them, and if they are here outside my apartment wouldn't he want to know? Do you just say "adios" and chalk it up to "oh well"? These are such gorgeous birds, and I know it's matter of time before the falcons get them or they get sick. I know they have been out there dying. I guess I'm not understanding why this person isn't more careful and to ask if there is anything I can do about this. It's ridiculous to me and it's upsetting to see these birds every week, all year, ending up here outside my window sitting on the phone wire, scared

Thanks for your info! Rene

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hello. I think that animal husbandry shows how weak some of us are. Be it lack of responsibility, greed: overcrowding, breeding based on looks only.
I would rather see hawks take may birds than them getting sick on me.
If you do not wish to see the bird there long, then do not feed them because just one domestic bird can attract another and another. If you can, ask this man next time to see the birds' living quarters. If they are not crowded, then it is just a lack of good pigeon keeping skills that this person is missing. Thank you.

·
Registered
463 Posts
When I was a young boy there was a sweet lady across the street that could not have children. My Mother did not care for her for whatever reason and I was told to stay away. While out playing she would sneak me in her back door and feed me peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. She could make them better than my Mother, so I thought. She would smash them and make them the perfect gooey combination I so loved. I would stay and eat as long as she would keep making them, then go home and take what my Mother would give also without a mention of the rest of the day. If she wouldn't have ran out of peanut butter, I would have stayed forever!! Turn that into a bird story and you might be able to relate to how the owner feels. Not saying his attitude is right, just saying......

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hi all!

I found your forum and hope you don't mind me posting to ask this question of you. I got so fed up today I got online and here I ended up. This is long, I apologize.

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers with this question I'm about to ask. I might not be asking it right as I'm not sure what to ask.

I live near Chicago. I always have a bunch of regular pigeons hanging outside on the phone wires and they're not stupid, as I throw some seed out on the roof a few times a day for the other birds (I live in an apartment and am disabled, so this small patch of rooftop is all the "birding" I can get in these days; I love birds and used to own 2 Hyacinth macaws.)

Two years ago I noticed a banded pigeon had joined their midst. He'd come near the window and seemed very scared. I knew nothing of any of this so researched and found the world of racing and fancy pigeons. I realized this was a special bird. I took great pains and patience to capture him by setting up a kind of cozy window room and after 2 days he started sleeping in it; one night I quietly reached out and closed it. I called someone I found online who thanked me and gave me the name of the owner, and said he'd call the owner and have him call me to arrange a pick up. He also gave me this man's #. The man never called, so the next day, after 3 calls and leaving 3 messages, I finally got a call back and he couldn't have cared less. He was annoyed and rude. He said he couldn't pick the bird up until the next day (I'd already had it 2). I kept it in my old Parrot's cage (we had a nice time). I had to call this guy twice more until he finally came out - he lives about 7 blocks from me. He pulled up in a van, grabbed the bird out of the box I had it in, turned it over to look at the band, threw (and I mean threw) it into the back of the van and sped off. No thank you, no hey great...nothing. I was sorry I gave it back.

Over the years I end up with several of this guy's birds at various times especially when there's a bad storm I always will have one if not two that are hanging outside with the regular birds. They are very noticeable as they are patterned and stand out; some are just built differently. Most are banded; some are not. A month ago I had 3 birds, all banded, but one was a metal band I couldn't read. One had a white band that was impossible to see; one had a green band. Sometimes after a day or two i never see them again so I've learned to not worry right away. When I throw seed out for the birds they are starving and careful to pick out the tiny seeds. I put a bowl of water out in the window ledge and they all came right up to it and drank. I tried to capture them again but couldn't.

I got online and found the # of a man who is long retired from the pigeon biz but was very nice and talked to me for a long time about the whole matter as this is really upsetting me. He told me that if a racing/homing pigeon runs away or leaves and is gone for a while the owner usually doesn't want it back (don't know if this is true) as it's seen as untrainable. He explained to me the delicate and time consuming relationship and care one has to put into a bird. He looked up the name of whose birds these might be or who I could call in the area for help and it turned out it was the same name of the guy who was rude when I found his bird before. He's the only person in this area who has pigeons. I told the man on the phone that I couldn't catch these and the man said there wasn't anything to be done unless they're caught. You can't call them and they come like dogs so it wouldn't help to call the owner and tell him I have a bunch of his birds outside all the time, I don't have any kind of window cage to entice them in. Over the next two weeks one left and two got killed by a falcon that hangs out here.

Well this week I have SEVEN birds here. This is what brought me here today. We have had no storms to spook them over here. Four are banded - white bands. They are all beautiful - one is pure white, one is light coral with a long tan beak that I've never seen on a bird. The others are white with a bit of black speckling or black with white splatters. All of them are enough that when you see them you go "wow..what kind of pigeons are those!" I let them be for 2 days but they hang around here and even come to the window and peck on it. Finally I put a bowl of millet seed and quail seed on a bowl and stood there so the other pigeons who were afraid of a 'person' were shied off for a bit and I can't tell you how starving these birds were. They all flew in and devoured it. They are right there about 4 feet below me; if I had a net gun and could shoot it over the mess of pigeons and then sort them out, I could get them :)

So, sorry for this long story but my question is - what is wrong with this guy who has these birds that he has so many of them missing all the time, and over here? How can you be so careless that you continually have at least 2-5+ birds gone from your collection? Maybe I'm wrong here but why own birds if you have some kind of set-up that you lose them, and if they are here outside my apartment wouldn't he want to know? Do you just say "adios" and chalk it up to "oh well"? These are such gorgeous birds, and I know it's matter of time before the falcons get them or they get sick. I know they have been out there dying. I guess I'm not understanding why this person isn't more careful and to ask if there is anything I can do about this. It's ridiculous to me and it's upsetting to see these birds every week, all year, ending up here outside my window sitting on the phone wire, scared

Thanks for your info! Rene

motivation for a pigeon to go back home is food, or a mate on eggs and or babies.

food being a strong motivator, the pigeon owner may be wondering why his birds are deleyed in coming home for food.. maybe because they have learned it is given elswhere as well? pigeons can act starving even though they physically are not, mine respond to feedings sometimes like their desperate and I know full well they were fed well . some birds never make their way back it is a fact. usually they end up with a rescuer or rehabbber and rehomed or join a feral flock. they can fall prey to maladies because they can get introduced to diseases their new feral family is carrying but they succomb beause they may not have as hardy a constitution because of over use of antibiotics with domestic life.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thank you for at least taking care of the birds while they are there! Especially in the case of the solid white one; if it's albino there's a good chance it's blind as well, as albinos have no protection in their eyes from sunlight.

It's unfortunate but it comes with all animals that some owners are good and caring and careful, and others just have the animals to claim that they are a keeper of animals and don't care to take care of it. My neighbor's very aggressive badly socialized german shepherd gets out at least 3-4 times a month and she has YET to fix the gate with a broken latch, and returning the dog is rarely recieved with gratitude, similar to your pigeon man, which is especially frustrating as the dog is very mean and will often put up a fight every time I try to return him.

I can't help you with your situation aside from this little attempt to shed light on things -- that he's just a rude owner -- but good luck!

Who knows, maybe you'll make friends out of the birds, haha.

·
Registered
727 Posts
When I was a young boy there was a sweet lady across the street that could not have children. My Mother did not care for her for whatever reason and I was told to stay away. While out playing she would sneak me in her back door and feed me peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. She could make them better than my Mother, so I thought. She would smash them and make them the perfect gooey combination I so loved. I would stay and eat as long as she would keep making them, then go home and take what my Mother would give also without a mention of the rest of the day. If she wouldn't have ran out of peanut butter, I would have stayed forever!! Turn that into a bird story and you might be able to relate to how the owner feels. Not saying his attitude is right, just saying......
Nice story. What does it have to do with a fool that doesn't want to be bothered to even come pick up the bird after someone else caught it for him?

I have had people call me that found one of mine, and I drove forty miles to get it right then, not days or weeks later. I guess I put a lot more value on my birds than he does.

OP don't call that goober again. Trap the birds with a box and string, and if you can't keep them find someone that can. Take them to a pet shop and sell them to recoup some bucks for your time and effort. He doesn't deserve them back, and at least the person that buys them or takes them puts some value on them.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hello Rene...
Welcome to PT and thanks for feeding the hungry mouths.
Many fanciers breed their birds selectively to produce desirable pigeons in terms of color, endurance, strong homing instincts etc etc. The "rude" owner guy maybe working on something like that and might have been throwing out the birds he don't need because such mixes would not be wanted by others too who keep quality pigeons so he couldn't find any buyers. They're just hungry mouths to feed which multiply into more hungry "useless" mouths. Useless means the bird not having desirable qualities.
The owner guy maybe acting rude deliberately so that you don't call him back again and he doesn't have to pick the birds up again and again which he don't intend to keep. For materialistic pigeon fanciers such birds are just trash and are culled right away. He may have a different take and rather culling he wants to leave them on their fate.

I really appreciate your efforts for giving them feed to support their life.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Sorry Chuck K,not mine to make but I think pigeonjim wants to say that like him maybe the pigeons want to stay around Rene's place because s/he feeds them tastier, better and plentiful feed than the owner so like him the birds want to feed at his/her place. Sorry pigeonjim if I'm wrong,correct me friend.

Rene Roo, I would do the same Chuck K advises. They're definitely not safe out there in the open. You can capture them and keep'em if you want them, with simplest of them all traps-box string trap or either sell them or put them up for adoption and be hopeful a loving owner comes to pick them up.
Do these 7 birds stay around at your place at night too?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry Chuck K,not mine to make but I think pigeonjim wants to say that like him maybe the pigeons want to stay around Rene's place because s/he feeds them tastier, better and plentiful feed than the owner so like him the birds want to feed at his/her place. Sorry pigeonjim if I'm wrong,correct me friend.

Rene Roo, I would do the same Chuck K advises. They're definitely not safe out there in the open. You can capture them and keep'em if you want them, with simplest of them all traps-box string trap or either sell them or put them up for adoption and be hopeful a loving owner comes to pick them up.
Do these 7 birds stay around at your place at night too?
Thanks Jass, I meant no disrespect to anyone, but sometimes you have to read between the lines. Sometimes people with good intentions can do more harm than good. My Granpa called them "do gooders". I have saved many birds from the same scenario, but the birds are usually from farther away than 7 blocks. The birds I have saved usually racers were from States away and usually had flown themselves into a weakened state where they needed help to build them back up. 7 blocks is awful close for a bird to need so much help unless the owner is doing what you say, then shame on him. Thanks for your point of view Jass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all

Hi all

Thanks for the input.

Well, we have had several bad storms through here the last few days and now I have 9 birds out there. The pure white one is gone; I found it torn up under some bushes in the yard (falcon)

I called a few local pet shops to ask if I caught some of the unbanded birds if they'd take them and they all said no, because they didn't know if they carried any disease. I called the number of a lady that was given to me who deals with racing pigeons in the Chicago area but it just said "call being transferred to another number" and then went dead. I called the health dept. of the town I live in to ask what the regulations are about people keeping pigeons and if the guy who I was told is the 'only' one who has them in the area can be told to keep a better watch on his brood. She said he's not the only one who keeps pigeons "in the area" but wouldn't give me any further info. I asked if I could leave my # and maybe have one of them contact me if they'd be willing, even if I caught one of these birds or even if just to allow me to call them with a bird to help me identify the band if it's got one or see if they'd want it if I captured one without one. She declined. She did say if I caught a banded pigeon I can call Animal control and they'll come and get it. (Which made me wonder why most all these "fancy" birds aren't banded then.) Everyone I've called who is associated with the racing/fancy pigeon biz (finding their # online) tells me this Nasty Guy from several years ago is still the only one out here so I don't know if she means people are in a neighboring town or what, and I don't know what it's such a secret if I'm asking for help with their birds. Maybe they care they're out here. It'd be helpful if I could find someone who might want them or help me find who might. I'm happy to try to capture them. The roof is too far down to get there from the window and it's on a slant (I'm on the 2nd floor, it's on the 1st) but I can get creative. I don't even know if there are small window "loft" boxes of how to rig one up besides the card board box I tricked the one into a few years ago, that would be good

So I'm at a loss here. But, just to clarify for those who think they're hanging out here because I'm feeding them all the time, I'm not. (on the other side, I'm not going to let any animal starve to death and I know birds are delicate. When it's raining sideways, like now, with 50 mph winds and they're out on the roof, I'm going to feed them when they're huddled under the beam) I can't tell you how much I hate the pigeons that lurk on the phone wires outside. They do because the businesses across the alley have flat roofs and they nest there. The water collects when it rains, there are huge heaters that keep it warm in winter. It's Pigeon Disneyland. At times there are 100 pigeons sitting like vampires out there, for the hell of it and sometimes they just come to the lower roof and hang out for a change of view. This is where these escaped banded birds end up, I guess because they see all these pigeons. I take pains not to feed them but after seeing them at my window, all by themselves sleeping there for 2 days, I feed them a bit. To get a look at the bands I will feed them. I know if I leave them alone chances are they will go back home, but they rarely do - they die or get killed. Some (if they look like regular pigeons) just stay. One's been out there for 3 years now. This has been an ongoing thing for years and it's just gotten so bad the last few months. Maybe there is a new bird owner out there?

I put a nice box in the window today with a grate and a little dish. Within 10 minutes a pigeon flew into it but another bird came and spooked him out. I'll keep trying, but I don't know what to do with birds that don't have bands.
thanks all!

[/URL]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Hi all

Just thought I'd stick my head in and update this post of mine.

Since I posted last, I spent weeks trying to catch the pigeons here to no avail. I had a nice, wire window "box" that I set up with millet and water and I left it in my window but none of the birds ever slept in it. The albino was killed by, I assume, a hawk as I found the remnants of feathers in my yard. Several other banded birds have come and gone. Two that weren't banded but had a different "build" and that I could tell were "something" slept on the window sill for 2 days and pecked a hole in the screen, ending up IN my computer room one afternoon. I hadn't fed them, but they ll see me sitting there all day, working. I came home from an errand to find them both calmly sitting on top of a book case. I had a heart attack; they were quite happy until I threw a towel over each and threw them back outside.

There are two of the original birds whose photos are on the page still hanging around - # 8 and #9. #8 has a white band and I can't tell what I went through to see the lettering on that thing - it's like spider silk.

I got the name and phone number, finally. This is a shy bird and the one I've been concerned about. I called the number 9 times over 3 days and it just went immediately to a busy signal. It must be a cell phone or it's unlisted. I looked up the name and didn't find it but found the last name and this guy listed as "a relative" living about a mile from me. Out of desperation I called them figuring I'd ask if they knew him and did he want his pigeon if I caught it but no one ever answered and there was no answering machine.

I gave up trying to catch the bird because I figured if I did, what good would it do. The city said they took banded birds but I was worried what they'd do if they couldn't get a hold of this guy, either.

When I first spotted these banded birds here and called a man whose number I found online connected to the Chicago Pigeon "people", who said he was long retired but who had a lot of records yet. He gave me the number of the woman he said ran things now. I called that number hoping she'd have a current number for the guy on the bird's band. Her number just flips immediately to a forwarding message that forwards to another number that says to leave a message. It rings once and hangs up.

I don't know what to say, except it's all ridiculous, This has been like a bad reality show, I give up. I imagine at this point and after
3 months, whoever owns this pigeon will just have to do without it or being told that his pigeons are ending up here all the time.

The white pigeon, who answers to "Hey you", will eat out of my hand sometimes, standing out on the window ledge. There's 3 that will do this. If I opened to window I'm sure he'd come in. I going to just feed him and feed the birds outside now, lost banded pigeons and all, because the birds are migrating and it's getting cold.

It's been interesting

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Good that you're giving them food. Can you put water out as well?
As in anything else, there are good people who keep pigeons, and others who just don't care. Sad, isn't it? Many don't want them back because they don't need birds who either get lost, or just don't come straight home. Others do care.I wouldn't call some that callous to begin with. If he had cared about his birds, he'd have come and gotten him without being nagged into it. If you have to do that, then no telling what he will do with the bird after he retrieves it. I know it's hard seeing them out there, and most don't last out there for long. Some can join feral flocks and learn to survive, but many won't make it. Nothing you can do, but try to help them as best you can. Thank you for caring, and for the update.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi Rene Roo,
Thanks for feeding and keeping an eye on them and also for updating us...

The same what happened to albino fate awaits others too.
And winter's ahead,don't know how domesticated birds are gonna hold up in winters. Some people can be so heartless...the owner guy. But there are people like you too,,,thanks.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Well I cant believe you had the chance so save the two that were IN your house and you threw them back out? Can you not google pigeon clubs in what ever town you are in, we have HUNDREDS and hundreds of members in Canada. Just google racing pigeon clubs in U.S. or Fancy pigeon clubs on your computer and start calling. They will 100% be picked off by hawks, you are just stalling the inevitable for them. If you have a dog crate, you can house them temporarily in that crate with food and water. I would catch the banded pigeons and take the to a shelter minimally so they dont die a horrible death at the claws of a hawk. I cant believe it would be THAT hard to google pigeons in the u.s. and find any member from any club. Even put in a kijiji add asking for help for these birds Im sure lots of people would love to have pedigree birds for free.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Welcome to P.T Rene Roo....Good to know that there are people out there that still likes to feed the birds. Not all people are like this man you talked about, I've known people that have driven from the other side of this island to pick up one or two lost racking birds and in the meeting have become good friends and kept in touch through Facebook. Thanks for taking care of them again. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still at it :)

Well I cant believe you had the chance so save the two that were IN your house and you threw them back out? Can you not google pigeon clubs in what ever town you are in, we have HUNDREDS and hundreds of members in Canada. Just google racing pigeon clubs in U.S. or Fancy pigeon clubs on your computer and start calling. They will 100% be picked off by hawks, you are just stalling the inevitable for them. If you have a dog crate, you can house them temporarily in that crate with food and water. I would catch the banded pigeons and take the to a shelter minimally so they dont die a horrible death at the claws of a hawk. I cant believe it would be THAT hard to google pigeons in the u.s. and find any member from any club. Even put in a kijiji add asking for help for these birds Im sure lots of people would love to have pedigree birds for free.
Hi CBL!

No, no I wasn't clear I guess. I didn't throw banded birds out..no no. The two that were in my room were just regular pigeons that are smart enough to realize what's going on and figured they'd make themselves at home. I have been relentless trying to catch these banded birds, always am. I realize they are not "regular" birds and so many end up outside my apartment during the year that I am furious at whoever owns them that they don't seem to care about their birds too much that they lose so many. There are a lot this year that don't have bands but are very beautiful fancy birds and a few that I'm sure had their bands removed because I could see their feathers on their legs were worn down, almost looking like they had bands, but they didn't. If you read my first post you'll see I had an ugly incident with a guy near me in returning a bird of his that it took a long time to catch, and he was a jerk. He didn't seem to want it back.

There is also a hawk out here now (I heard him on the roof today, plus the sparrows and pigeons take off in nervous clouds constantly) but 'tis the season.

I can't tell you what I have gone through to try to catch this white banded bird for months now, and now it's gotten cold (below freezing a few nights) and even snowed here so I have been ramping up my efforts and making sure I feed him every day (I was holing back before, hoping he'd go home) He is easily spooked but comes to the window at times when he's hungry. He has a white band with a name and # on it and I have called the # on the band over 20 times. Never an answer. It's not a racing band. I have a small, heated dog -water bowl out on the window ledge so he/they have water. He hangs out with the rest of the pigeons and will eat out of my hand, if I can gently get him one-on-one. The second anything makes a noise or another pigeon comes near, he takes off. I have been trying to catch this guy since I first posted here.

There is another bird that is pitch black and not banded but I can tell he's "something" because of his coloring. He's very friendly and will also come up to me if he sees me.

There is now a new bird that looks like a regular pigeon (big guy!) but which has a yellow AU CHICAGO band on him. He showed up about a week ago. I have the band info and looked it up online but the exact # isn't registered anywhere. I swear to Odin this is the same bird that I returned to this jerk a few years ago (please read my first post about the man I had to call and call and nag to come and get his bird). I don't know where they all go at night but they all hang with the wild pigeons and come back at different times. The banded birds hang out together now and both eat out of my hand. The last two very cold days they were puffed up on my window ledge sleeping/looking miserable and as soon as they sw me they wanted food.

Every day, about 10 times a day, I open my window and they all come to the screen. When I stand up, they all fly away. I drop a few peanuts on the windowsill, the tamer ones and the banded and black one will come down and creep towards me, eventually eating out of my hand or eating peanuts and quail-dove mix I bought. I put a shelf on the inside of the window coming onto the room for them to walk on, and sprinkled seed in a trail so they'll walk into the room a bit, eating. My plan is to close the window and have them in the room. Yesterday they were all 1/2 inside the window and I was almosttttttttt thereeeeeee and they got spooked and bolted.

Previously I set up a nice box in the window and left it there, for days, with little shelves, food, millet sprays - it's a Condo - hoping one or all would stay in it at night (that's how I caught the one years ago) but none did. It got too cold to leave it up as it also leaves the window open (I'm on the 2nd floor)

Short of firing a net-gun onto them from my window down onto the roof 4 feet below and then climbing down, I just have to wait and hope they want to be warm and will come in in the morning when I know they're hungry.

I called the # of the man listed on the Racing Pigeon Site that was listed for banded birds that had AU and CHICAGO on the band yesterday and today. I've left 2 messages, and have got no call back. As I stated in my other posts, I called another number I found online about 2 months ago and talked to an elderly German man who said he used to run the Pigeon stuff in this area but was long retired. We had a nice talk. He still had the records and told me the name of the man who he had listed as having pigeons around here, and that was the man I'd returned a pigeon to years ago who was a jerk (he didn't want his bird back). However, I've been told there are more people than just him in the area who have birds now. This gentleman gave me the name of the woman who currently runs the are Club and I called her number about 10 times. It always flipped to another number, which said to leave a message and I would, and no one ever called back. I got utterly fed up and ended up finding Pigeon Talk, and that's why I posted here.

It has been a full time job, trying to catch these birds outside. At one point this summer there were 9 out there, all with bands.

If I do catch them I'd be happy to give them to someone who would take them, but I can't even find the name of someone who raises or races them around me. The birds have to be coming from somewhere and yet to this day I still can't find a Club contact number, a person via a band number or a bird owner. I have Googled, I have looked. There is the one club listed in Chicago (I'm in a northern suburb) and the others are so far from me that they aren't close enough that they'd be "it". The white pigeon's tag is just the man's name and his phone number.

I am hoping to get these guys yet. I'm stubborn. :p
Thanks all for all the info etc !!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Setup a box with a stick and tye a string to the stick. Put a little feed only under the box and when they go under pull the string. There is always a young person starting out that would take the birds. I have never seen a banded bird that a club could not find a home. Or quit feeding them and they will go away.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Good for you for looking out for these and having an adventure at the same time LOL! Some of those pigeons are quite beautiful and have "rare" colors for racers. They may be that man's or they may be other birds that were lost in races or training that are drawn to your place by the flock of ferals there. The pigeon hobby has all types. It is a shame that some don't put any value on the life of their birds and they are either racing home or are not worth anything. Other people very much care for their birds and would be very thankful to get their bird's back.....so don't give up hope but screen the people carefully before they claim their bird. As to those that don't even bother to return phone calls.......that is really rude! The box method mentioned above by pigeonjim may indeed work. You could possibly also feed them right by the window, and as they get used to it open the window and feed them at the window.....then move the food a little bit inside.....until you have them!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey Rene Roo,
Thanks for your continous help to the birds.
Sorry,I didn't read your whole post. Have you tried a box string trap to catch the white banded bird? It might make your work easily!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hey Rene got your pm and gave you one back. Easiest way is to leave window open, food and water in house and they will drop right in and then put them in a dog crate and call the AU and see if they will match up or take birds thanks. Link I gave has many emails and phone numbers, they will help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts