Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit perplexed… my new parents (old pair) are fighting over who gets to sit on the new baby. So much so that they are stepping on the baby while fighting and it seems a bit violent to me.
I was really concerned for the baby getting injured during their battle so I removed the male.
I put him in a cage nearby and mom settled back onto the nest contently.
he calmed down and so I tried to place him back in after about an hour. The fighting began again so I pulled him out again this time allowing him to just fly freely around their breeding cage. Again after an hour or so he calmed down and I opened the cage for him to return.
This time around he has not attempted to fight her off the nest. I am glad, its late and I need sleep lol.
All is quiet now, and I am hoping they figure out the balance of rearing this new arrival.
I’ve been watching as much as I can about breeding etc on YouTube, however I still have many questions.
I’m looking forward to learning more and I hope someone here might have some advice about the squabbling parents.
Warm smiles,
Snow

· Registered
284 Posts
I don’t have experience in this area however I think you did the right thing. If it keeps happening I would separate them them and keep reintroducing them until someone calms down or take the female out next time to see what dad is going to do. If he is violent period perhaps just leave him out altogether. That will be harder on mom though and she may feel inclined to not care for the baby on her own so be sure to check on the little one regularly.

· Super Moderator
8,528 Posts
Just keep an eye on them. If the same thing happens again, then you will need to seperate again. You can rather leave the dad with the baby during the day and then switch in the afternoon so that the mom will be caring for the baby during the night.

If you keep on removing the dad, he might not accept the baby as his after a week or so. He might then attack or even kill the baby. So it's better letting them take turns in raising him.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just keep an eye on them. If the same thing happens again, then you will need to seperate again. You can rather leave the dad with the baby during the day and then switch in the afternoon so that the mom will be caring for the baby during the night.

If you keep on removing the dad, he might not accept the baby as his after a week or so. He might then attack or even kill the baby. So it's better letting them take turns in raising him.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts