Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents are in Burke County Georgia and they found this pretty pigeon on their roof. The band on the bird just says “083” with no letters. It’s tired and seems to be a pet. Pretty small but definitely well fed. I tried to identify a band but since there’s no letters on it, I couldn’t find anything of substance. Any help is appreciated, even though this bird is very pretty, it cannot stay and we know the owner is probably worried sick, this bird was on the roof for 4 days, who knows how long it’s been away from home.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
If he is a lost racing pigeon, then the owner probably won't want him back. You need to put seeds in a dish for him, get a doveseed mixture. What do the droppings look like?

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Pigeon racing is a cruel sport. A lost pigeon is of little use to the owner (some of them anyway). Sometimes lost pigeons (that get returned to the owners) just get put down. You can try and track the owner down, he probably won't bother. That's how five lost racers ended up with me. I've sent the ringnumbers to SANPO, and never heard from them again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pigeon racing is a cruel sport. A lost pigeon is of little use to the owner (some of them anyway). Sometimes lost pigeons (that get returned to the owners) just get put down. You can try and track the owner down, he probably won't bother. That's how five lost racers ended up with me. I've sent the ringnumbers to SANPO, and never heard from them again.
Thank you for telling me that. My parents didn’t have any luck finding an owner either so they’re gonna take him to The Ramsey Loft in Hepzebah, they’re a rescue and breeding program with their own aviary, hopefully this pretty bird will be happy there!

·
Registered
797 Posts
hello. last racing bird i found, found its owner . that bird is not a racing bird u got. its cute, and young. my last lost one, found me 3-4 days later, without help. thnks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hello. last racing bird i found, found its owner . that bird is not a racing bird u got. its cute, and young. my last lost one, found me 3-4 days later, without help. thnks.
Hi hamlet, this bird stayed on my parents roof for about 4 days and did not try to leave. It’s flat with no hiding places so this bird was not hiding from predators. The band has no identifying factors so we could not find an owner. The pigeon cannot tell us that it knows the way back home and my parents care a lot about animals, they did not want to be responsible for this bird slowly starving to death because they let it go. Trust me, it’s going to a good place and if I were the owner, a forum specializing in pigeons or a nearby bird rescue would be the first places I check for a lost bird.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is classic clip on band you can get online, not real band. I put those kind of bands on rescued pigeons before releasing them, they are only for my observation. You can't find owner with this ring band. It's not a racing pigeon. Maybe post it on social media without ring being showed. Owner should know what kind of ring it has on. Otherwise keep it 😊

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's a beautiful pigeon. You say that it was just sitting on the roof for about 4 days? Looks like it was separated from its flock, and it's probably too young to find its way back home. The cere doesn't look like its well developed yet, so it wouldn't have had the experience yet to navigate well. Experienced ferals have pretty big ceres but when they get rescued and no longer fly, or at least not out of doors, the cere gets flattened, like the one on that pigeon. If it was a feral, more than likely its nesting area would still have been a roost near mommy and daddy until it started exploring on its own, and maybe venturing out with potential mates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts