Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im not sure where this goes, so im posting this here.

Ever since my first rescue, im fascinated by Pigeons, especially the babies & I sort of keep a track of New Born Babies that come to my balcony every morning.

There is a 'Pair' that must have given birth to a dozen babies this year alone, though im not sure how many of those babies have made it to squabs or pigeons.

Just 2 weeks back, the pair arrived to my balcony with roughly a month old Pigeon where the father and mother showed it how to peck seeds off the big bowl I keep in my balcony. Everyday for 2 weeks this baby would come with either of the parents and eat off the bowl.

However, 2 days back, while the mother was pecking the seeds, she started attacking her baby pigeon, getting all territorial with him. I was shocked, and certainly the baby was shocked too. It Just stood there whistling in disbelief, and eventually flew off to another balcony, and just lazed there all day until I returned in the evening from work.

Earlier this morning, the father got to the baby and attacked its head, bit off some feathers from its neck. The baby fell off the balcony's ledge inside on the floor, stood up and shook its head for a few mins, before it could move.. then flew-off to another balcony.

Ive attempted to catch the baby 2 times, but it flew off. Im afraid if I keep on trying to catch it, might scare him off and he wont return.

The baby seems healthy it moves and flies fine. Eats quite a bit of food. But after eating, just goes off to an empty balcony and lazes there until hes hungry again.

Im not sure why have the parents suddenly become so hostile towards it.
Is this normal ?
Should I intervene? maybe scare off the parents ? or Should I just silently spectate ?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Sounds all normal to me. Baby is eating by himself and it's time for him to move on. The parents will be getting ready for the next lot of babies. I guess some youngsters just take longer. So no need to intevere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts