Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No, I doubt he would want to live outside in the cold winter, Judi. Too bad. He would have looked great in those pear trees!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Thanks to your thread and then doing some on-line research, I learned that a guy I spent quite a bit of time with in Africa is also a Partridge. These guys were EVERYWHERE!!! and didn't seem the least bit concerned about the 2-legged monsters who had clearly moved into THEIR territory.

Thought you might like to meet the African Francolun:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Judie,

Can you send me an email? I know someone in Bklyn who might be able to help you. If he can't, likely he can help you work something out.

Jennifer

·
Registered
521 Posts
I am waiting to hear back from my Aunt, she has an incredible home up in Sherman, CT. Her kids all live in/around NYC so getting him to her would be easy. I will let you know what she says! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Lucky says that Sherman, CT sounds lovely, karijo.

Jennifer is also checking into a placement option.

Lucky is very lucky indeed...

I gave him a bath in a few drops of Dawn dish detergent. His backside was so dirty from when he was caged at the poultry facility. Now, he's nice and clean. I did notice that he still has a few mites. I'm going to get some Sevin Dust tomorrow and treat him so he will be mite-free when he goes to his new home.

BTW, he did not appreciate the bath.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Lucky is VERY lucky indeed, to have found you. :p

Thank you for taking such good care of him and do update us again when he goes to his new forever home.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You're welcome, Treesa. I'm glad that DH found him before someone caught him for lunch.

I will certainly keep everyone posted.

L

·
0 Posts
please change his name to anything but Lucky:eek: I have noticed that anything with the name Lucky really isnt all that lucky .. :eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ahhh... But Lucky really is lucky, LokotaLoft. If my neighbors had found him... Yum, yum, yum!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I looked for Sevin Dust today at the only place in town that's likely to carry such as that. They have a large gardening section. They had no Sevin Dust.

I went to Petland Discounts and looked at the mite sprays. The warnings were very scary; I just couldn't buy that stuff.

When I picked him up, a few mites crawled onto my hands, so I gave him another bath. Don't worry... I'm not going to bathe him every day. Hopefully, that will be his last bath.

After he dried, I applied some food-grade D. Earth with a brush. I didn't see any mites while I was doing that, but he sure has some evidence of mite bites on his poor skin.

He's still eating like a piggy and he has a perpetual murderous look on his face. Seriously, this bird has a mean scowl. Fortunately, his beak isn't meant for ripping, or I suspect that I wouldn't have any hands left. His little pecks really don't hurt at all.

I haven't found a home for him, yet. :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm happy to report that Lucky appears to be mite free. I held him for quite a while today and didn't see any.

Jennifer put me in touch with someone who said they'd take Lucky in on a temporary basis. DH and I discussed it and decided that it would be less stressful for Lucky if we keep him until we find a "forever home" for him.

No, I'm not considering keeping him forever. I just don't want to shuttle him around more than necessary.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm sorry I missed this thread, I was the lucky (no pun intended :p) owner of many chukar partridges for years. They are such funny, wonderful birds, much like chickens. They do best in groups of two or more, regardless of sex, so hopefully you can find him a home with some other ones. You should see them in a flock of six or eight, they slink around together casting very suspicious glances about, at each other and everything else, while furtively muttering Chuuuck, chuuuck, chuuuck? at each other. It's really just hilarious. :p

We have a lot of them in our Chinatown here in SF too, and that's where mine used to come from--or rather, from the shelters there when they escaped the meat markets. I fed mine chicken mash as well as some greens, so sounds like you're doing great food-wise.

They love a good dust bath too, though the Dawn baths won't hurt him. Chinchilla dust is something they like but it's messy. If you have some dried rosemary, that helps deter pests such as fleas and mites and works quickly. If no one has mentioned it, you can try the regular bird mite spray from any pet store, about five bucks a bottle. I believe Kaytee makes it but any brand would do for mites. The diatomaceous earth is what I use on my pigeons outdoors but it is dusty for household use, and also only good while dry. Good luck and I hope you find him a great home soon! I know he's happy in the meantime being spoiled at your house. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
MaryJane, thank you for your post.

One of my buddies from StarlingTalk is going to send me some Sevin Dust. I thought I had gotten rid of the mites, but one ran across my hand when I picked him up this morning. There are certainly less, but I have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to bird mites. :eek:

I would dearly like to find a home for him that has other partridges. The fact that he's alone makes me sad; I can't imagine how lonely he must be.

So far, nobody has indicated that they can give him a forever home.

Rosemary! Who knew?! I don't have any, but that's easy enough to get.

BTW, I enjoyed looking at the pigeons, dove and dogs in your photo album.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
MaryJane, thank you for your post.

One of my buddies from StarlingTalk is going to send me some Sevin Dust. I thought I had gotten rid of the mites, but one ran across my hand when I picked him up this morning. There are certainly less, but I have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to bird mites. :eek:

I would dearly like to find a home for him that has other partridges. The fact that he's alone makes me sad; I can't imagine how lonely he must be.

So far, nobody has indicated that they can give him a forever home.

Rosemary! Who knew?! I don't have any, but that's easy enough to get.

BTW, I enjoyed looking at the pigeons, dove and dogs in your photo album.
Thank you! Please don't worry about him being single. Several times I had just one, or just one in quarantine, and they don't seem to mind it much at all. They're darling birds but they're not the crunchiest cookie in the batch. :p I think the whole flock thing is so attractive to them because they're so suspicious and like to be surrounded by other equally wary creatures. :D As long as they have good food and a warm place, they always seemed perfectly content alone until they went out with the other birds. So I'm sure your guy is just fine for a bit, don't worry about him being unhappy. ;)

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
They're darling birds but they're not the crunchiest cookie in the batch!

Never heard that analogy before, MJ!! HYSTERICAL! Must remember!! :D :D

Lucky is a beauty and a cutie, Judie! I DO SO HOPE you find a good home for him! So far, sounds like you are doing everything beautifully! Darn, are you sure you can't keep him?

Also, hope you get rid of those pesky mites! :eek:

Will be watching for updates...

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thank you for your feedback on him being alone, MaryJane. That makes me feel better. Of course, we have seven other birds (budgie, five cockatiels and a starling), so I suspect that their chatter and whistles gives him some sense of being in a flock.

Very odd that he hasn't made a peep since he's been here. DH hasn't heard one, either. It's like he's entirely mute.

Did any of your partridges like to be handled?

Shi, if we didn't live in a NYC apartment, I'd consider keeping him. He's really no trouble. (Or, he won't be once the mites are gone.) But he doesn't have any space. He's still in the little dog crate that we use to take the birds to the vet. Being a ground-dwelling bird, he really needs a cage that's more horizontal than vertical.

And, despite the fact that I feel better than I did about him being alone, I would dearly love for him to go to a home with other partridges, if possible.

He's a funny little guy. He turns around and walks over to us when we talk to him. He cocks his head so one of his little evil eyes is looking straight up at us. I swear he's thinking, "If I were an eagle, you'd be dead.":rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for your feedback on him being alone, MaryJane. That makes me feel better. Of course, we have seven other birds (budgie, five cockatiels and a starling), so I suspect that their chatter and whistles gives him some sense of being in a flock.

Very odd that he hasn't made a peep since he's been here. DH hasn't heard one, either. It's like he's entirely mute.

Did any of your partridges like to be handled?

Shi, if we didn't live in a NYC apartment, I'd consider keeping him. He's really no trouble. (Or, he won't be once the mites are gone.) But he doesn't have any space. He's still in the little dog crate that we use to take the birds to the vet. Being a ground-dwelling bird, he really needs a cage that's more horizontal than vertical.

And, despite the fact that I feel better than I did about him being alone, I would dearly love for him to go to a home with other partridges, if possible.

He's a funny little guy. He turns around and walks over to us when we talk to him. He cocks his head so one of his little evil eyes is looking straight up at us. I swear he's thinking, "If I were an eagle, you'd be dead.":rolleyes:
ROFL!! They do have that evil eye. And I seem to remember them being very quiet unless they're around other chukars. Then they kind of egg each other on to see who can sound more suspicious. :p I do miss having those crazy birds.

Shi, I don't know where I got that saying, but isn't it funny?? It's my favorite one....though I also like "not the brightest bulb in the chandelier" and there's another good one but I can't think of it at the moment, of course.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I woke up around 3:00 this a.m. and was shocked to find Lucky in the kitchen. I think that he was looking for a knife so he could make a preemptive strike.

He's a naughty, naughty bird.

I don't have a clue how he managed to get out of the little "access door" on the top of the carry cage he's living in. DH swore he couldn't get out of there, and I would have bet good money that he was right. Lucky is like a bowling ball with feathers. I can't imagine him jumping or climbing up to get out of that little door. It's kind of like picturing an elephant hopping.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Maybe one of the other birds helped him and then - ever so innocently - went back to their own cage. Do you have cats? That's ABSOLUTELY the kind of thing a cat would (and does) do. Anytime my dogs are doing something the "shouldn't" be doing - - - I check for the cat presence. Odds are REAL good there will be a cat in the shadows ... laughing!!!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts