Pigeon-Talk banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Sounds like you have a wonderful variety of birds!

If you are still looking for a mite powder, you should be able to use any flea powder safe for cats and kittens. I shake a little bit into the bedding, as well as under the bird's wings and tail (warm areas that mites love).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sounds like you have a wonderful variety of birds!

If you are still looking for a mite powder, you should be able to use any flea powder safe for cats and kittens. I shake a little bit into the bedding, as well as under the bird's wings and tail (warm areas that mites love).
Yes, I have quite a flock. Last year, we lost our Sun Conure and our Nanday Conure. Both were 19 years old, and I adored them. But we still have quite a variety.

Maybe one of the other birds helped him and then - ever so innocently - went back to their own cage. Do you have cats? That's ABSOLUTELY the kind of thing a cat would (and does) do. Anytime my dogs are doing something the "shouldn't" be doing - - - I check for the cat presence. Odds are REAL good there will be a cat in the shadows ... laughing!!!
It's quite possible that it was a coordinated Great Escape, wolfwood. No, we have no cats. I'm allergic, but I do love them. We used to have a budgie who was an escape artist. She would open the door to her cage and climb out. If you said, "Kiki, you bad bird..." she would run back in the house and act like she never left. Alas, she has been gone quite a few years. Maybe her ghost helped Lucky. She was an evil, nasty, mean, biting budgie (the only one I was ever afraid to handle). This sounds like something her ghost would do!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I got my Sevin Dust from Karen today. When I got home from work, I dusted him with it; I used a paintbrush. I didn't have any mite crawl on my hands during this operation, which leads me to believe that most of them were gone already.

DH scrubbed Lucky's house down.

How quickly does this stuff work? Should he be bug-free tomorrow? I'd like to start spending some quality time with him.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I woke up around 3:00 this a.m. and was shocked to find Lucky in the kitchen. I think that he was looking for a knife so he could make a preemptive strike.

He's a naughty, naughty bird.

I don't have a clue how he managed to get out of the little "access door" on the top of the carry cage he's living in. DH swore he couldn't get out of there, and I would have bet good money that he was right. Lucky is like a bowling ball with feathers. I can't imagine him jumping or climbing up to get out of that little door. It's kind of like picturing an elephant hopping.
ROFL Oh my goodness, I haven't had a laugh like that in I don't know when. That's so funny, that just kills me. I unearthed some pics of my chukars when they lived in the quarantine spare bedroom. I will scan them with the printer and get them on here. This thread is really making me miss them, next I'll be down at the shelter rounding up a bunch. :eek::D As for the Sevin dust, I think it works in 24 hours but it's been awhile since I've used it so am not sure. Others will know though for sure.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Lucky sounds like quite the character!! Maybe you should change his name to Houdini??

Hope those nasty bugs are all gone. Don't know who will appreciate that more, you or Lucky!

Can't wait to hear of further adventures!! :D

Sending Love, Hugs and Scritches (bug free)

Shi :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
ROFL Oh my goodness, I haven't had a laugh like that in I don't know when. That's so funny, that just kills me. I unearthed some pics of my chukars when they lived in the quarantine spare bedroom. I will scan them with the printer and get them on here. This thread is really making me miss them, next I'll be down at the shelter rounding up a bunch. :eek::D As for the Sevin dust, I think it works in 24 hours but it's been awhile since I've used it so am not sure. Others will know though for sure.
maryjane, I'm glad Lucky's Great Escape amused you so much.

Oh, goody... I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your prior chukars.

I'm happy to report that I didn't see any mites when I handled him yesterday or today. He is soft and clean and very handsome.

Lucky sounds like quite the character!! Maybe you should change his name to Houdini??

Hope those nasty bugs are all gone. Don't know who will appreciate that more, you or Lucky!

Can't wait to hear of further adventures!! :D

Sending Love, Hugs and Scritches (bug free)

Shi :)
Shi, Lucky had a misadventure today...

I got him out of his cage, and he managed to fly a couple of feet. He crashed into a pile of magazines. When I picked him up, I saw that one of his toenails was completely gone and blood was gushing from the toe.

I don't know how he managed to do that. I don't think that the little crash landing was responsible. Perhaps he got it caught in something in his cage... I simply don't know.

I screamed to DH, who was taking a shower that we had an emergency. He jumped out of the shower. I told him to pour some cornstarch into a saucer and to give me a paper towel.

I held Lucky on my lap, packed corn starch onto the toe and kept pressure on it. He was really ticked off; he was probably in tremendous pain. He kept pecking at me very aggressively. After about 10 minutes, the bleeding stopped. I cleaned it with a little alcohol and put some Bacitracin on it.

He's eating now, which I think is a good sign.

I did notice that there is a strange hole on his cere between his nostrils. It doesn't seem to be deep. What is that? What do I need to do for him?

Unless someone tells me by tomorrow morning that they want to give Lucky a life of luxury with room to roam and a girl partridge to call his own, we're going to shop for a new cage for him tomorrow.

Last call... Anyone need a partridge? Come on! You know you want one!

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Lucky's misadventures!!

Sure glad to hear that he seems to be OK...

Oh Oh, I have a feelin' you are now the proud owner of a Partridge...Guess next up, with a new cage, is a Pear Tree??

Looks like Partridges are pretty hard to home...

We sure wish him ALL the BEST and look forward to hearing more about him. He's unique as I don't think we have anyone else posting about Partridges...we can learn a lot!

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi and Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thank you, mr. squeaks. I guess we'll all learn about partridge care together.

Yikes, rainbows! That's too funny. I'm saving that as my wallpaper on my computer.

Here's today's update...

Today, DH and I bought a new cage for Lucky. It's a very large rabbit hutch. We looked at dog crates, too, but we decided that the rabbit hutch would reduce some of the mess from scattered seeds.

Here's a pic of his new palace:

I put some more antibiotic gel on his toe this a.m., and I'll do so again tonight. It doesn't look infected or anything.

Here's a pic of the "hole" on top of his cere. I'm sorry for the pic quality. I think it looks worse in the pic than it does in real life.

Does anyone know what this is? Do I need to treat it with anything?

So, it looks like Lucky is now a member of our family. Of course, I'm thinking that we need to get him another partridge to keep him company. After all, it's no harder to take care of two partridges, right?

Did you know that you can buy fertile partridge eggs on eBay? That disturbs me a little.

I don't need a whole bunch of eggs. I just need one more little partridge to keep Lucky company.

Oh! I forgot! I heard the first sound out of him today. I was holding him and fussing with him and he made a very soft sound kind of like a chicken. That's it.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I'm not sure how I missed this thread before. Lucky is a handsome little Chukar :) I know a guy who raises a lot of them, but my dad hasn't quite let me get a few yet :p

Not sure about the cere? But about getting him a friend, you'd probably have better luck on eggbid than ebay. Considering you're not supposed to sell birds or hatching eggs on ebay, doesn't sound very trusty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thank you, Becky. He is a very handsome boy.

You should have seen him strutting around his new house today. He was stomping, too -- I think he was deliberately making thumping noises to stake out his territory.

Does your friend raise them for food, hunting or pets?

No, I'm not going to order partridge eggs on eBay. I'm with you -- I thought they weren't supposed to sell live animals on eBay. And in my book, a fertile egg is a live animal. I'm not even sure that we'll get another one. We'll see.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I am upset. Evidently, Lucky smacked that sore spot on his nose. When I picked him up after work tonight, the spot was black with dried blood.

I cleaned the spot with alcohol and applied antibiotic gel.

He sat very nicely with me tonight and let me scratch under his wings and his head. I think part of that was because his nose was ouchy.

As of this morning, Lucky has treated us to some soft clucking noises. It sounds a little like a chicken, but very, very quiet.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Do chukars need grit?
good question, I woud look up the care of quail as many folks raise those and see what kind of husbantry goes along with that, they are so close in species I would think. I don't think they are domestic though, so he is essencially a wild bird, perhaps there is a sanctuary he can be let free in...?? he may be happier if set free.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
good question, I woud look up the care of quail as many folks raise those and see what kind of husbantry goes along with that, they are so close in species I would think. I don't think they are domestic though, so he is essencially a wild bird, perhaps there is a sanctuary he can be let free in...?? he may be happier if set free.
Good idea on the quail care, spirit wings.

They are a wild species in Asia, and were brought here to be hunted. There are wild populations in the west. I don't know if there are any wild populations here in the northeast.

Lucky was born and raised in captivity, so I don't think he would know how to live in the wild.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Good idea on the quail care, spirit wings.

They are a wild species in Asia, and were brought here to be hunted. There are wild populations in the west. I don't know if there are any wild populations here in the northeast.

Lucky was born and raised in captivity, so I don't think he would know how to live in the wild.
Do you know for sure he could not. I have seen people raise quail here and then release them to start new flocks and it has been successful. I don't think having them in captivity takes the wild out of them, sounds like it would be difficult to find any populations in the NE, but perhaps there is someone who raises them and has a flock he could join....easier said than done though:p

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
It seems that he does eat grit, but I can't be sure. The soft clucking is a contented noise so you're doing something right. :D Sounds like his nose is okay, he's just being dramatic. I'm trying to get my pictures uploaded but my scanner is being temperamental. :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It seems that he does eat grit, but I can't be sure. The soft clucking is a contented noise so you're doing something right. :D Sounds like his nose is okay, he's just being dramatic. I'm trying to get my pictures uploaded but my scanner is being temperamental. :cool:
Ha! He's just being dramatic! I like that, maryjane. Nothing like a melodramatic partridge!

I'm glad that he's content.

No, spirit wings, I'm not sure that he couldn't survive in the wild. I suspect that if he could hook up with a flock of chukars, he'd learn.

I contacted The Farm Sanctuary today. They don't have any chukars, but they said they might be open to taking him. They will also look into other sanctuaries that might be able to take him. I sent them an email per their request. Due to the fact that they have a bunch of visitors on the weekend, I probably won't hear from them until next week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Quick update on Lucky...

I still bring him out for a cuddle in front of the TV at least once a day. This week, I was on vacation, and he got more attention than usual. He used to run and hide in a corner of the living room when I finished petting him. This week, he started jumping up to the back of the couch, which we keep covered. At first, he would sit on the end farthest from me. The past couple of days, he walked to the middle of the couch, closer to me.

Then the real joy... When I stuck my head through the door into the other room to talk to DH, Lucky walked to the very end of the couch closest to me. I think that he had separation anxiety! Later, I left the room entirely for a few minutes, and he did the same thing. He seemed to be looking for me.

He loves to be scratched and petted and rarely bites me anymore. He will give me little love pecks, which are very gentle, on my forearm when I ruffle the feathers on his chest.

Since he's from an arid place, he doesn't drink much water. So he doesn't poop much. And his poops are very solid and easy to pick up.

I am totally crazy about this bird. Who knew?

41 - 60 of 70 Posts