Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pigeon made its way to our home a week ago, and doesn't seem to want to leave. It slept out on the window sill for 3-4 nights and then made its way into our garage the other 3 nights. However, since I caught it to look at the band on its leg, it walks away from me when i get within 6 feet from it.

It has a green wire-ish looking band around its leg, however, there is no information on the band. I've contacted the canadian pigeon racing union, asking if anyone has reported one lost. Is there anything else I should do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
description

I took a photograph of her a few days ago.
"Patty" appears to belong to someone......it's very "unafraid" of people and lawnmowers. She/he puts itself away at night in my garage, and sticks very close to her. It can fly, but seems to only do it in small distances.

It poops alot, so I doubt it is starving, but now that I know what to feed it, i will certainly make sure it has food and water.
What bothers me is that someone must be missing her/him. Is there somewhere to list it? The band is simply a plastic coated wire ring on one leg. No information is listed, unless it is some type of computer chip within the wire.

Any idea's?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
It's just possible someone may have rescued the bird as a youngster (or a sick or injured adult) and decided it was time to release it, banding it to be recognizable. That could account for him/her acting in a 'semi-tame' way, and maybe seeing humans as friends.

Patty may have had an injury at some point which hinders flying too far in one go.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the help

Looks like Patty will just have to decide when its time to move on. Until then, looks like I have another stray animal to look after. :)

She "walked" over to the neighbors fence earlier, and I took some popcorn, seeds and water near to the fence, I went back to fetch the container and she is no longer in my neighbors yard. I'm going to give it 3-4 hours and just about guarantee she'll be perched in my garage. Last night she was sitting on top of the refrigerator. We have a hawk who stalks the morning doves here, I just hope it doesn't see her.

Anymore idea's come to mind, let me know. Oh, and by the way, what happens to them in the winter? Do they fly south? Or stay all year long?

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Pigeons stay around all year - they aren't migratory birds.

If Patty is not yet a strong flier, due to a past (or even recent) injury, you may want to keep her protected from hawks. Until you can check her over, maybe she could stay in the garage (or other secure enclosed place) unless you are there to keep watch over her when she gets exercise.

Do you have a tame vet who would examine what you could describe as a 'pet pigeon' without fear of them wanting to put her down (many vets will do so, if they find the slightest thing wrong!).

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.