Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i'm sure you've seen the pics of my 3 tumblers, anyways one is black, one is black and white and one is white and a slate colour, the white and slate colour pigeon pecks me everytime i go near it, i wear gloves anyways so it doesnt hurt but he/she is very aggressive when it gets hold of my glove and takes a while to release, i keep talking to it to try and calm it down but it doesn't help, it seems like it gives revenge because everytime i touch it, it pecks me back, i leave my gloves in the shed to try and get it used to them but it isn't working.

the other 2 don't bother me when i handle them, how can i stop it from pecking me?? :D

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It's just what some of them do. I have spots all over my right hand from my much loved Sammy. Does his pecking stop me from scratching his head or picking him up, if needed...no way!:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
erm..i think i will just keep using the gloves lol:D, judging by the way it pecks my glove it will hurt quite alot and it doesn't just do it once, it continues to peck me for a long time, i think that one is a boy, when it pecks me i just hold my hand steady to let it know that it is wasting its time lol, i've also noticed it hits me with the top of its wing aswell, maybe it will grow out of it when i get it tame, if not i will just have to use gloves all the time :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I get that all the time when checking the nests in our aviary for eggs to replace with plastic ones. There's a few males who even half stand in their boxes, ready for battle, when they see me approach :)

One in particular wingslaps my head when I'm cleaning out the box below him of overnight poop. He's a London streetfighting pigeon :cool:

Yep, I too have the little red marks of battle after every egg check.

John

·
Registered
790 Posts
Believe it or not but that bird will be soon your best pet bird cause its not afraid of you. Try hand feeding it with or without the gloves to get it more close to you.

I've got a few YBs that will do a fly over and attempt to land on me but I always shake them off. These are the same birds that will wing slap and/ or peck at me while they are on their favorite perch. I think they are just trying to protect their territory but they love being hand fed especially when they get Peanut treats!! :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have always viewed the defensive behavior as a distiguishing characteristic of a quality pigeon! I can't tell you how disappointing it is to have a baby hatch and then die of scalping from another bird just over nest box territory. In my experience these birds that exhibit this behavior are the very best breeders of the bunch!!!!! They protect/feed thier babies thru thick and thin and sit on their eggs the best!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts