Pigeon-Talk banner

Peigon Wonded by Wire

983 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  kunju 
#1 ·
Hi all

I found a pigeon on my window strangled in a wire, we somehow managed to pull him out of it but found that there are cuts all around its shoulder and flesh is visible, wound would be around 2-3 inch on both the sides. we applied antiseptic cream on the wound and have and offered food and water. ffound no deep cuts.

Plz suggest further activities to perform also have added small amount of turmeric powder in the water.

#2 ·
Thank you for helping this needy bird. If the bird is not eating or not eating enough he will need to be force fed in order to survive.

Did you gently flush the wounds before applying the antibiotic ointment?
The bird should also be on an antibiotic to prevent infection, but the bird needs to go to
a qualified avian vet for further exam and treatment, of the wounds.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply....

1. No we didn't wash the wound as blood was not visible...
2. Found out that nearby eggs are laid and the female partner is hatching them. the make has not left as usually did earlier, have kept the grains nearby him but saw the female eating it not the male.

Do we need to apply the medicine daily....as it is difficult to catch him he flies away whenever we try..

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

#4 ·
Thanks for helping out this bird.
If he is wounded and in pain, he might not be interested in eating right away. Just keep an eye on him, and if he seems to get weaker, catch him and start hand-feeding.
You get amoxycillin tablets in all medical shops. Cut a tablet so that you get 50 mg. Give 50 mg once a day for a week. You just need to quickly catch him, place the tablet inside his mouth so he swallows, and release him back.
Keep seeds and water available for him all the time.

You can dust the wound with neosporin powder so it is kept dry. Or applying the ointment once a day would also be fine I guess. Were the wounds caused by the wire he got trapped in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.