Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well.....I was going to post to you all today about how 5 of my first round of '09 squabs set a personal record today and went 2.5 miles for the first time and came home in under twenty minutes.............

And then this story unfolded...............

To start...This is Penelopeep. She is our matriarch duck of three.

Penelopeep and the other two ducks were foraging in the backyard for weeds and bugs. I saw the pigeons in the distance. I was proud. Then I noticed something following them. It landed on a tree far away.....and this is what I saw....

It then dropped down out of sight and I figured it lost interest in them....My pigeons landed on my coop and started to come in....

ALL OF A SUDDEN....THE HAWK JUMPS OUT OF MY TREES!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It had blood in it's eyes...................

Before I can even get up PENELOPEEP let's out a HUGE quack and jumps in the air!!!!

My pigeons immediately take off!!

The hawk got so scared he immediately turned direction and almost hit the ground!!!!!

The hawk flew away and my local murder of crows chased it away!!!!

All my pigeons came back just before the sun dropped...
Needless to say my pigeons won't be flying this weekend just in case that hawk remembers my address.

PHEW!!!!!!

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi George, Looks like its a young cock lets hope he don't have a hen she can be a lot tougher then a young cock.Yesterday around 5pmI had a vist from of those guys I was getting ready to feed my birds when they all flew across the loft when I turned to see what spooked the birds I caught a glimps of the hawk as he left my yard. I bet its the same bird that was at your place today,as we are only about a mile or less from each other.I will let you know if I see him again.Lets see if we can figure out his hunting times as they do not sit in one place all day.If he is new in the area he will set up a hunting routine. By the way that is one great duck. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TA - No thanks I have three and they are a hdanful enough for me.

George- Good looking out. I flew my birds around 7pm. The hawk incident took place at 7:30PM! I fly my birds late on purpose to try and avoid them. He must have been real hungry.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Penelopeep is a GREAT name!! AND, quite the HERO!! AND, such a CUTIE! :)

Hope you find homes for those ducklings, Terry!

BTW, have you heard anything from Mr. Flapper?? He has not posted in quite awhile!! Hope all is well!

Love, Hugs and Scritches
Shi :)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Amazing story and pictures! I was on the edge of my seat!

I just mailed this page to everyone on my e mail list. I just had to share this!

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
TA - No thanks I have three and they are a hdanful enough for me.

George- Good looking out. I flew my birds around 7pm. The hawk incident took place at 7:30PM! I fly my birds late on purpose to try and avoid them. He must have been real hungry.
Well flying late in the day has its good and bad sides, the good is that the hawk has hunted all day and if he made a kill or two is not looking for food. However if he has had a bad day hunting he might make a last minute attack. This late in the day attack can cause the birds a problem that is if night fall comes before they trap in they will be out over night. But I do feel that for the most part the hawk will have eaten and is not intrested in killing and a well fed hawk does not kill just to kill. I do feel that this hawk is a young hawk learn his skills and they will do things that do not conform to the normal. I have not seen him since Thursday but he could have been around and I just did not see him GEORGE;)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I have received many good positive comments from folks on my e-mail list and showed the story just a while ago to my grandsons and their friend who is spending the night.

I heard, "cool"..."awesome" !:cool:

The duck is really a hero!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts