Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So, my name's Kat and I have a pet pigeon named Rory. I've had experience with pigeons all my life but in the last few years I was starting to miss them. SO, when about a year ago I came across an injured pigeon (about a week old) I took it in and raised it. She has been a wonderful pet, the type of pet who hung out on my shoulder, followed me around, slept in my bed and took hilarious showers with me. (She wears a homemade diaper to prevent accidents). Recently, however, my significant other moved in with me and she has taken a liking to him. She, in fact, 98% of the time chooses him over me and now likes to attack me all the time! She was never like that before. She will go into her mating "I-want-to-be-petted" mood with him constantly, land on him, nibble on him....I hate to be so jealous but I am! I don't know what to do about it. Its not as if there is a punishment/reward system to use. And, I cant blame her, she has obviously picked him as a mate...I just wish she still liked me lol. Is there anything I can do?

Also, it should be noted that at about 9 months of age she started laying eggs, but she stopped just a couple months after that and hasn't since.

Please help! Shes my baby haha and the boyfriend absolutely LOVES her attention

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hi! So, my name's Kat and I have a pet pigeon named Rory. I've had experience with pigeons all my life but in the last few years I was starting to miss them. SO, when about a year ago I came across an injured pigeon (about a week old) I took it in and raised it. She has been a wonderful pet, the type of pet who hung out on my shoulder, followed me around, slept in my bed and took hilarious showers with me. (She wears a homemade diaper to prevent accidents). Recently, however, my significant other moved in with me and she has taken a liking to him. She, in fact, 98% of the time chooses him over me and now likes to attack me all the time! She was never like that before. She will go into her mating "I-want-to-be-petted" mood with him constantly, land on him, nibble on him....I hate to be so jealous but I am! I don't know what to do about it. Its not as if there is a punishment/reward system to use. And, I cant blame her, she has obviously picked him as a mate...I just wish she still liked me lol. Is there anything I can do?

Also, it should be noted that at about 9 months of age she started laying eggs, but she stopped just a couple months after that and hasn't since.

That is too cute:rolleyes: not much you can do but get her a mate or just enjoy the sight of her being her with your significant other. Lol its just so adorable im sorry. I know your a bit jealous but I would just enjoy the antics of my pet, make a game out of it wheb she attacks you and "fight back", like nu uh thats MY man. Lol. Everything will work out I know it. Have a good day:D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

pigeons when they mature, find mates, nest and lay eggs and sit on them, that is a huge part of what pigeons do. Her acting all this out is normal, they do usually mate with only one other and anyone else is in the way. Im not sure she will see you as you want her too, but peanut treats can go a long way to at least get her attention and fly to you for them. petting does stimulate egg laying,

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If i were you would be happy just because she is happy and finally she has a real mate.
Can't you be happy for her???
Isn't real happiness seeing the ones you love being happy. Are we humans so selfish? I guess we are... me too; i was jealous but i got over it. I have a few females who loves me and my hand, but now i wished they had males just like the others females with mates. Lol they demand too much attention and affection from me..
Treats are the best time to share with both of them: small unsalted peanuts, sunflower seeds ( no shell), chopped spinach, carrots....and enjoy watching them bathing by putting a pan with water every 2-3 days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.