Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He got his toe stuck and tried to fly, we got him free and see that there is a flap of skin open on longest toe, I've tried wrapping it twice but keeps falling off because of the bleeding, I'm worried he's loosing so much blood. My husband said to leave him alone in his cage and the toe will coagulate and stop bleeding. Do I try to fuss with it and wrap it again or leave him alone in the cage, so sad for him, I don't know what to do. I'm in Burbank Wa 99323 and it's midnight. 509-851-8204 I thought about using super glue but my husband doesn't want to do that, ugh, I don't want him to die.:(

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Sorry I am a few hours ahead and feel asleep. Flour or cornstarch on wound or direct pressure for ten minutes. Then u can put on super glue if u want.

Tell me how it is now. Birds can only lose 10% of thier blood safely. So if bleeding for that long, give this bird electrolyets to replace them or if you have any young green coconut milk, if will be a clear milk. Not reg coconute milk and not from a can or just give some gatorade 50/50 mix with water.

Can u update me please and thanks. Also it may coagulate on its own as well and form a scab.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
electrolytes

how would I get him to drink? Thank you for responding. So mix a little salt and sugar in water and force him to drink? I have him wrapped up, so he probably won't try to get out of towel and go get a drink. He did bleed a good amount, I have blood to clean up all over the house. I do want to get him to drink, just not sure how and if I should do it know or let him rest.

Oh I saw you said gatorade 50/50, I can do that, just not sure how to give it to him, I'll search around on here...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I saw you said gatorade 50/50, I can do that, just not sure how to give it to him, I'll search around on here...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
How is the poor bird? Did he stop bleeding? Make sure he stays upright. Quick stop and even soaking in cold water might work if flour and cornstarch won't stop it. Is he drinking? Hope he is ok now. Our pigeon started bleeding from one toe and wouldn't stop. Scared us to death. We put pressure and quick stop. Vet said never hold them upside down to trim. Now we let the vet trim her nails. :) the superglue is a liquid bandaid stuff from the drug store. Try to make sure you get the kind without any alcohol in it. I have used it on frogs that cut their foot. It wears off on its own.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies, it's doing better now. It kept losing the scab and bleeding for a few days, but we got it under control now and doing fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts