Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this pigeon from a coop, where I'm not sure how good of a life she had. The owner seemed a little rough with them when I was there to pick her up, and I feel this may have contributed to her behaviour. I got her when she was about 2-3 months old, but she was always very fearful, especially of being touched. I got her to eat from my hands within just a few days, but if my hands moved an inch, she'd go running across the room puffing up and making grunting noises.

I trained her to get closer and closer to me, and eventually she'd perch on my hand/arm/legs and sit with me, but still would freak out at me if I tried to touch her. This went on for a few months with no real improvement, so eventually after reading some opinions online, I tried to take a more direct approach by handling her/cuddling her/scratching her neck even though she didn't want to be handled so that I could show her that I meant no harm and hopefully get her over her fear. This seems to have backfired though, as she's now more aggressive and fearful than ever, and won't even eat if I'm in the room now.

I really don't want to give up on her, but I'm not sure what else to do from here. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
PM me your email and I will send u some vids of how I hold and interact with my birds, its almost instantaneous.
CBL

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
CBLs techniques work so please try them. Fiona who came from the shelter would not let me near her and wing slapped and bit at me. Now she loves being picked up and snuggled. CBL is the bird whisperer! Hope your bird is friendly soon.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
CBLs techniques work so please try them. Fiona who came from the shelter would not let me near her and wing slapped and bit at me. Now she loves being picked up and snuggled. CBL is the bird whisperer! Hope your bird is friendly soon.
Thanks C, I never got that update so glad to hear Fiona is complying lol. Any chance we can see a pic of both your girls? Otherwise, can you just email me pics, would love to see them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts