Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I had a nap my single pet pigeon laid an egg. I took her to the vet 2 days ago because I thought she was sick but she actually had her first ever egg stuck, so they helped her lay it, I guess they took it away from her? So now today I have woken up to another egg I didn't take it out of the cage fast enough and she was trying to sit on it and build a nest around it with some hay. I swapped the egg for a bad looking fake egg I tried to make quickly with a rock and tin foil, she sat on it for a bit but is now ignoring it and just sitting in her cage on nothing. I don't want her to lay more eggs and become deficient in calcium or something.

Any tips on what I should do? I want to discourage egg laying behaviour, I don't know if I should remove the fake egg or the whole nest? Or just leave it? I don't know what the right thing to do is. Any advice would be amazing!

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Don't remove the eggs. They are infertile and won't hatch anyway. If you keep on removing the eggs, then she will just lay more and become calcium deficient. She will incubate the eggs for about 2 1/2 weeks, and then lose interest in them until she lays again. Incubating the eggs will keep her occupied, that's normal pigeon behaviour.

Nothing will stop her from laying. You can add liquid calcium with added Vit D3 to her drinking water on a regular basis. Also provide her with little twigs to build a nest, or you can play the "husband" and hand her the twigs and she will tug them under her while on the eggs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't remove the eggs. They are infertile and won't hatch anyway. If you keep on removing the eggs, then she will just lay more and become calcium deficient. She will incubate the eggs for about 2 1/2 weeks, and then lose interest in them until she lays again. Incubating the eggs will keep her occupied, that's normal pigeon behaviour.

Nothing will stop her from laying. You can add liquid calcium with added Vit D3 to her drinking water on a regular basis. Also provide her with little twigs to build a nest, or you can play the "husband" and hand her the twigs and she will tug them under her while on the eggs.
the egg broke :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts