Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pet pigeon, I hand raised him from a two day old chick. yesterday I nihgt I noticed a pile of undigested seeds thrown up on the floor and against the wall. I am concerned. he also has somewhat watery stools. I don't think this is an affectionate thing.

What could be wrong?

I keep him in the house with me. he follows me around. He has just got off his "nest" after sitting for a while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
his feces, he dropped a small puddle, is clear liquid with a dark green blob in th emiddle. I am not sure he's eating. he's courting my socks and has been cooing as normal. But he doesn't seem to chuffed for eating, even his favourite food.

·
Registered
13 Posts
no, he threw up on the floor by the door. if he is to affectionately hurl, he would do it to a sock I recently have worn or at me or my husband. Something is wrong, my instincts are screaming it. He's my "baby" for al lintents and purpsoes. and he doesn't even seem interested in his usual treats.

I gave my husband some seed to give him, he ate a few and is now sitting on his lap. I am hoping he will keep them down. We are ready to make a vet appoint.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I say worm him anyway an see how he is after that , it only takes one day to worm a bird and then again at 10 days after that ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
umm at most feed stores if you are in the US they carry a product called wazine , that should get you covered for a first time user , its Use is 1 oz. = 2 tbsp to gallon of water so 1/2 oz. = 1 tbsp to half gallon or 1/4 oz = 1/2 tbsp to a quart or water and repeat after 10 days

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I have a feeling that Sunstar is not located in the U.S. .. is that correct, Sunstar? Please let us know at least approximately where you are located so we have a better chance of helping with resources and medications that are available in your area.

I'm very sorry that your bird is not feeling well, and I commend you for allowing your instincts to "scream" at you .. I think they and you are probably right and your little pigeon probably needs some medical help.

Sunstar, is there any chance your pigeon could have gotten into something toxic and ingested it?

Terry

·
Registered
13 Posts
I trust my instincts. I always have and it never bodes welll when I ignore them.

I am in canada. So something I have, or I can get over the counter.

I have panacur, which I used to eliminate hydra from my aquariums. this I had to order from the usa. I also have a bit of levamisole as well, which I used against callamanus worms in 7 of my systems. That I got pre-mixed from a friend who also got it from the usa.

I have occasionally dusted him with diatomatious earth to eliminate any external pests, I have never seen him with pests, I ahve looked a few times.

Chase bathes regularily, about once a week. He usually lets me know when that is. He is rather private about that too. Humidity in my appartment is high due to the the aquariums I have. I can't do much about that.

His living arrangements are:
Chase lives with me, ergo he has no cage. I have to vaccume up after him. if I go out, he goes into the bathroom and sits on the towel rail. he gets food daily, fresh water, lots of talking to. he is hand fed treats by my husband and he contstantly loves his socks.

at night he roots in my room, sitting on a box of toilet paper. he LOVES toilet paper and will un roll it and tie himself in it. he's been stepped on twice, and has since learned where not to be. He understands a fair number of voice commands. Even though he does understand them, doens't mean he obeys them.

that's him in a nutshell.

Chase is about 3 years old. he will be three in june.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Well, just my opinion, i think he is just a frustrated male pigeon, he has no reason to have worms, or any sickness, since he has not been exposed to other birds. he is carrying the "Q" tip because he wants to make a nest, no other reason. No creature reacts like you would think, if it is searching, or longing to do what nature urges them to do... JMHO... Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am wondering about toxins. I know the other night I might have had a bug because I was visiting the facilcities alot. I halfway wonder if he got sick too. Far feched, but a possibility.

Chemical wise, I have been considering possibilities. I don't use a lot of noxious cleaners due to my own hate for them. Still I can't rule it out. I have various things for my fish tanks. heck even the water could possibly be injested. Which could have some nasties that might affect him. I try not to let anything he could get into in his reach.

I have new salt water tank, which is a possiblity he could have investiaged. but for the most part he fears my fish.

Well, just my opinion, i think he is just a frustrated male pigeon, he has no reason to have worms, or any sickness, since he has not been exposed to other birds. he is carrying the "Q" tip because he wants to make a nest, no other reason. No creature reacts like you would think, if it is searching, or longing to do what nature urges them to do... JMHO... Dave
Oh he gets to do his thing with socks alot... then I give him a mouse ball in his nest and a few days later another one, and he sits. I feel bad when he leaves them because they don't hatch.

tacky but he likes it.

The pick with the Q-tip was done a couple years ago. he's never thrown up or had such watery stools. I'd give him a girl, but I do not want to expose him to any bugs a girl would possibly have.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
i think you are worrying too much, he looked real good in all the pics. you posted. I think he just wants to be a Pigeon... Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do realise this.

I have detected a change from his normal behaviour, in which things don't look right. This is what concerns me. I feel it is my duty as his keeper to bring up this with people who are more familiar with them and ensure he is healty or if should take precautions. I do belive this is being responisble pet owner JMHO. To ignore possible indications things are not right is neglegent in my eye.

Chase is no poodle, but I love him all the same. Just because he is a bird, a horny one at that, does not mean I disregard what I see and what my instincts are telling me. The change of behaviour, the change in his droppings are, to me, an indicator of pending health issues. I've noticed this in my fish as well, feces do tell a lot about a creature. I seem to spend a lot of time fecal watcing.

I would like to believe you he is perfectly fine, but I want to make sure. if it costs me 100 bucks to visit the vet to ensure this is the case, so be it. However, I will monitor the situation. If he eats and resumes his normal behaviour, the I will assume it was a minor maladity he overcame. if he does not resume normal behaviour by wednesday, he will be seeing vet.

Also, those pictures were taken a while ago. I don't have anything particularily recent.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
How is he doing today? Any more vomiting?
You're right, we tend to know when something is off with our pets. If you have an avian vet you can see I would take him, just for the peace of mind.

Reti

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Sunstar, our vet once told me that regurgitating undigested seed could indicate a bacterial infection. I would definitely take him to a vet and get fecal studies done. Some of the things I worry about with our pet Vinnie is that he may pick up something like a staple or anything that catches his fancy and swallow it. Only a radiograph (x-ray) would show if he has ingested something.

I also don't think him being an indoor bird for three years makes him immune to viruses or bacteria. Some diseases can lay dormant for long periods and if he gets "run down" may show up.

Trust your instincts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.