Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I put a mirror to see who would look like the cock and the blue bar looks like it to me. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
That blue bar looks like the female to me---I don't know why---just instinct ---and I could be wrong....pretty scenery.....and pictures....c.hert

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I would definitely go with the blue bar...that tail down spread is pretty convincing.
That's what I was gonna say. My females dance and coo but I've never seen one bob up and down with the tail down spread.;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
One of my females coos constantly, moans, does the coo circle with dragging the tail, and is mean as hell. Everything you would expect a male to do.
But she will crouch for me if I give her some attention...
So yours still could go either way.
Probably a cock though.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sure looks like a male.:)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Told you ;) Do you know what colors the parents of the red bar were? The only way she could be a male, is if it's pure red, and not carrying blue. Because obviously there are no black/blue flecks in the tail, wings, etc.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
:) Those photos can serve as a good reference for other friends who want to know what the mirror method is all about. I have never tried the mirror method but only had read about it, now with the images its pretty more easy to grasp :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Told you ;) Do you know what colors the parents of the red bar were? The only way she could be a male, is if it's pure red, and not carrying blue. Because obviously there are no black/blue flecks in the tail, wings, etc.
No, I don't know the color of the parents, sorry.........:)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
This is interesting and I would say the blue bar looks like the cock but more by way of the body language from the other bird.

In saying that I have three hens that bob and coo, then they fan their tails out when they rush at the one cock bird.
All are quite aggressive towards each other too as competition is fierce for his attention.

Look forward to seeing what you find out.

Janet

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What are black/blue flecks?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I vote for blue bar (male)- March is high breeding time (well, can be all the time!)
If the pigeon bows and "drives" at the mirror and makes deep booming coos, it's a boy.
My birds are all white, but I can tell boys from girls.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts