Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know why one is so so small compared to to the other,when should i band? and Picture of my lovely Bennie girl......

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I have 2 babies right now with almost the same size difference. The smaller baby hatched 2 days later than the nest mate so it was lacking in size. The bad thing about this is the parents seem to feed the bigger more because it asks for more while the smaller one can hardly get attention. Hated it. This is only the second time that this happened to me. Obviously the father is first time breeder.

·
Registered
267 Posts
rod,teebo- what ill do is transfer the other babys of same size in your different breeding box if you have any other babys, just in order to get fed equal of the parents... if not, i do hand feeding the smaller baby but not taking it out from nest box. it just helping the smaller to eat more...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i only have these two,i sold off my other pigeons,im sticking with the german owls,reason for getting the others out,the male nun,was being very aggressive with the owls.they have a wonderful loving home.when should i band these babies,i checked the smallest ones crop tonight and it was full so thats a great sign.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
sandiego,

Thanks for the tip. These are my last babies. What I do now is to give more food than necessary to those babies. Basically once the big nest mate stops begging for food, then I give the parents more and they feed the smaller baby full. Obviously sometimes the bigger one still asks for more and that is another headache. I just try to make sure that before sunset the smaller baby has full crop.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Also be aware that paratyphoid can be the cause of the smaller/slower baby. A two day hatch difference is pretty obvious why one is smaller than the other, but when they hatch at basically the same time and one falls seriously behind in development then you better be considering paratyphoid (salmonellosis) as the cause and be treating for it once you verify the problem.

Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts