Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I first came here there was a thread titled Picture of the Day. That thread was one of the most enjoyable for me personally on this site. I am not sure why it was closed, but I believe it may have just gotten to large for software to accommodate. I am opening up a new one. If there was some other reason for closing the first thread the admin may also close this one.

A little information for those interested in posting pictures. I used to post picture links from a site called Photobucket, but I have not been able to get pics to load here with links from that site for a long while. I also screwed up and deleted all my pictures on that site by accident.:( I have also loaded pics to a photo album here, but was unable to get the pics linked in the threads as picture url or as pictures. The only way I have been able to make the pictures show in the thread is to post them as attachments.

I will start the new thread off with a picture of a young West of England cock bird that I recently purchased from a local feed store.

Bird Pigeons and doves Rock dove Beak Figurine

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Very pretty. You got him at a feed store?
I still post photos from Photobucket.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live about thirty five miles north of Houston Texas. The city has five feed stores that carry pigeons, other birds, and small animals. A lot of folks take their unwanted pigeons to these stores. I like to go make the rounds at least every couple of weeks. I have picked up a few nice birds from them. Most of them are rollers or homers, but I have bought a few other breeds for their colors. The temptation to expand is hard to fight off sometimes. Most of the pure breeds are being cast off be because of some issue making them not show quality. This West of England for instance has a small colored patch next to the eye not shown in the picture. He would be no good for showing.

I have just about given up on Photobucket. It is loading painfully slow for me, and I tried to delete one picture a couple of days ago, and messed up and deleted the whole album.

Very pretty. You got him at a feed store?
I still post photos from Photobucket.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Gee, if we had that here, it would be hard to not end up with too many birds. You almost have to go and look....................
Don't know what the Photobucket issue is. That's too bad. So easy to use when it works right.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dominant Opal Racing Homer hen

I picked this hen up earlier this year at a trade days event. She looks like she is going to molt into a nice looking bird. She got a little roughed up in getting her in the photo box. :(

Bird Pigeons and doves Rock dove Figurine Beak

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
You have beautiful birds, Chuck.
Really liked the pics.
Thanks for starting a new "picture of the day " thread :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
West of England Tumbler

This young West hen is a brown bar. I picked her up at a feed store in Houston.
She is heavy into her first molt right now, and kind of rough looking at the moment, but I think she is going to be a beauty. I really like brown pigeons. Brown is a color I had not encounter very often until just the last three or four years.

Bird Pigeons and doves Beak Figurine Rock dove

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Spread Ash Bar Homer

This cock bird is one of the best looking homers I have ever owned. He is a Spread Ash Red Bar that carries a gene for brown. You can see the small brown flecks in his neck area. I have had a very hard time getting a picture that reflects his true colors. He is so light tan/ash in color that is usually washes out in a photo. Using the black background is the only way I have gotten a decent picture of him, and he doesn't like being put in the box of course so he hunkers down like he is being punished. Where the Spread factor has washed out the bar is almost white. I raised this bird in 2015 from an Ash Red Bar cock and a Spread brown hen.

Bird Pigeons and doves Rock dove Beak Feather

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Birmingham Roller

I picked up this little roller hen at a feed store in Houston. I don't have a clue what the genetic combination is behind her. I haven't bred any young off her yet to see what pops out, and I have never seen a bird marked quite like her. I am fairly sure grizzle and some type of bronze is involved, and maybe Spread, but I don't know what else. She is not the typical tortoiseshell seen in rollers.

Bird Pigeons and doves Beak Rock dove Feather

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Indigo Check Racing Homer

I just picked this handsome fellow up at the feed store about an hour ago for ten bucks. If they had a happy dance icon I would be posting it because a smiley just doesn't show how happy I was to find him. :D:D I got an Indigo Bar cock from the same place about six to eight months ago. Every once in a while they will have something special in the color/factor assortment. I don't how any of the homers would race. I suspect not very well, but when I find a new home I am going to start trying to find out.

Bird Vertebrate Pigeons and doves Rock dove Beak

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Might not have all the fancy colors and all, but the body & head shape plus the strong stance, from spending a ton of time looking at racers, thats a good looking racer.
Thanks shorty, I doubt I will ever try to fly him again, but I am trying to relocate to where I can fly out some of the young out of these birds.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Recessive Yellow Racing Homer hen

I am not sure what happened to the first post I put up this morning, but I am trying again with this one. This hen was bought at Conroe Trade days a couple of years ago. I don't know her age since she is not banded. I thought when I bought her she was a cock because of her large size body, head, and beak. I think she is old enough that she is infertile. I had put her on a couple of cock birds to try to get a round carrying this trait, but she never laid.

Bird Pigeons and doves Beak Rock dove Figurine

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chuck, I am so envious! You have so many gorgeous birds!
Thanks, I retired last year, and I am trying to find a home in the country. When I finally get a new place I am going to build a new and much bigger loft. I keep them healthy but right now I have them to crowded. The wife keeps telling me I'm addicted. :eek:

1 - 20 of 177 Posts