Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
very nice looking birds Ramiro. I like this cooky male with green band oh his leg.Posture of the owner of the whole flock there...LOL

Thanks for sharing.
Nell

·
Registered
130 Posts
The Grey one thats up the top is so GORGEOUS!!
The only thing i dont like about pigeons like the white one is the nostrils.. :\
I dont know why but i find it really creepy and it grosses me out.lol
I like rollers and other breeds that dont have the white flesh on their beaks.
:)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
They're all beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!

I do have a random question for you, though. How do you keep the bugs down when using straw? I used to give the birds straw for their nests (they LOVED it!) but always had bug problems when I did that.
Have you tried Tobacco stalks?
I read that they help control the bugs and mites

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Have you tried Tobacco stalks?
I read that they help control the bugs and mites
You really shouldn't use stray or hay as it becomes wet and moldy very quickly. Best thing to use is pine needles. The LONG ones........I've bought the short ones on two different occasions and all they did was play in them, but didn't do much nest building. I buy the longer ones and they make pretty fine nests with them. Tobacco stems are great, but you have to order them and they're pretty expensive.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They have a little hay hopper that I put straw in for them to use as their nests. A lot of it ends up on the loft floor, but I dont use straw as bedding I use pine shavings on the floor. I clean that out and scrape the loft twice a week. I also put pine shavings and a little bit of DE in the nest bowls, and then they put straw on top of that. It seems to have worked so far as long as you replace the straw regularly, they do get moldy quick. I would definitely use pine needles if I could buy them.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
They have a little hay hopper that I put straw in for them to use as their nests. A lot of it ends up on the loft floor, but I dont use straw as bedding I use pine shavings on the floor. I clean that out and scrape the loft twice a week. I also put pine shavings and a little bit of DE in the nest bowls, and then they put straw on top of that. It seems to have worked so far as long as you replace the straw regularly, they do get moldy quick. I would definitely use pine needles if I could buy them.
I always thought that I had a hard time finding pine needles, until one day I realized that landscaping companies use them all the time. Now I have no trouble getting them every year.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes, those are beautiful birds!! I love those first ones too. At first I thought they were oddly colored homers. LOL. I'm still new at this. :D

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Those birds are so pretty! How many do you have altogether? Where are you located? 20 questions, huh?? :)
I like the bird with the green band too, he looks real tough! But some of the girly looking ones in the background look all doe-eyed and cute!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
wait, the pics in post number 2, the first one is the green banded pigeon that is all puffed up and tough looking, is that the same guy in the pic below it? Man, if it is, he has some looks with those eyes!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I always thought that I had a hard time finding pine needles, until one day I realized that landscaping companies use them all the time. Now I have no trouble getting them every year.
I've seen the long pine needles for sale online, but I never thought of landscaping companies. Thanks for the idea. I love pine needles, but the ones I give them don't seem to impress them for nest building. Guess I need the long ones. I'll check out the landscaping companies around. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wait, the pics in post number 2, the first one is the green banded pigeon that is all puffed up and tough looking, is that the same guy in the pic below it? Man, if it is, he has some looks with those eyes!
Yeah, it's the same bird. I've actually been trying to sell him for months now because he used to pick on my much smaller rollers but now that I have around 20 birds in all he's not any more aggressive than any of the other cocks. I think I may keep him around along with his hen (pictures soon). I live in Lynn, MA just north of Boston and have been keeping pigeons for almost a year now. I got my first ones at the Sturbridge Pigeon Show last year (that modena cock was the first pigeon I bought). I didn't even know anything about this hobby until I went to the Topsfield Fair last year (oldest in the country btw) and saw some really nice helmets and thought they were really cool. So I went home and did some research on them and discovered all these other cool breeds and racing pigeons, that's when I found the Sturbridge pigeon show and how all this got started. I really like this hobby, I think I'll stick with it for the rest of my life... I have a couple other hobbies and I'm convinced that people who keep pigeons are the most helpful of any hobby and are always willing to help a newb out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The turkish tumbler cock I lost had the same eyes as the modena and was ash red :(... Too bad a hawk got him. I learned my lesson though, don't fly anything you can't afford to lose.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts