Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pidgeon, dont know its sex, I raised it from a baby. Now its about 3 to 4 months old and getting cocky. He will sit on my shoulder, and sometimes, get puffed, coo and then bite me when I try to touch him. Is this a mating thing? or does he feel threatend?
Linda

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Linda,
You used the right words – getting cocky! You have a male pigeon. There are two situations when pigeon will behave like this.
1. When he flirts with you. This is sexual behavior and he is convincing you to pay attention on his masculine side. He will also start dancing in circles and Bow Coo you to show you every side and angle. His feathers will start glowing in the light and you are expected to fall in love.
2. When other person approaches you, he will do exactly the same just with more force and wing slap included. This is territorial thing. You are his object of passion (his territory) and he won’t allow anyone to interfere.
There is nothing unnatural in this as the bird is bonded to you.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I have a pidgeon, dont know its sex, I raised it from a baby. Now its about 3 to 4 months old and getting cocky. He will sit on my shoulder, and sometimes, get puffed, coo and then bite me when I try to touch him. Is this a mating thing? or does he feel threatend?
Linda
Sounds like you have a boy, and he is trying to play out his male role in life(dominance, territotial, noise), but still needs some time to mature.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Could be...but I thought I had a boy a while back, exhibiting that behaviour....until she started laying eggs :eek:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Could be...but I thought I had a boy a while back, exhibiting that behaviour....until she started laying eggs :eek:
Yep,there is always the exception. I have a hen just like that, when she matured she knew her role in life and become less dominant around her mate, but still fighting and dominant around other birds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts