Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I went to do my grocery shopping this morning and the store had hired a company to power wash the front of the building. Instead of shooing the pidgeons away that live in the sign letters, a man on a lift power washed the birds out of the sign- he hit them with the water gun from less than 3 feet away. A few were able to fly away. Many more were stunned and drowned in the puddles below. Many were injured, some adult, some juvenile. Of course, I got the manager & shut down the operation- what is wrong with people? I had a bucket in my car and was able to rescue one that was shivering and stunned & laying in a puddle. He is in a carboard box and seems to be drying out now. I will guess and say that he probably does not have any life-threatening injuries- although I'm no vet. He is walking about now and seems to have come back to his senses to some degree. My question is this: If he recovers in the next few hours, should I just let him loose in my backyard? Or should I bring him back up to the grocery store where his family is? I live about 1.5 miles from the store. I just don't know anything about pidgeon social networks etc. I am guessing that this bird is juvenile- he has some fuzz showing through but has many feathers and is a pretty good size. So, any advice on where to release him?
Thanks! Laurie

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Laurie, I don't know where you live or what the rules are there, but this cleaning company should be reported for cruelty to animals, as them doing this, in the the way they did it, looks like business as usual for them and they need to be stopped from doing this again.

Sometimes to the untrained eye a juvenile pigeon can look like an adult, but is not yet ready for the real world and may need a bit more time and care before released. Best post up a photo of this little guy so we can have a look at him to start, here's how:

You can put a dish of water in for him right now until we figure things out.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=525049&postcount=15

Karyn

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Laurie,

Good thing you happened to come along when you did!

Go back again and see if anyone else is 'grounded' from injury from all that.

If this is a late Juvenile ( vestigual Yellow 'Down' remaining ) who was still hanging out near Mom & Dad, most likely he does not likely know how to eat or drink on his own yet, and, is a long ways from any 'release'.

Images?

Best wishes!

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. I will post some pics today. Yes, he does have some of this yellow down around his neck. I put some water out and some crushed chicken food and he hasn't touched either. Perhaps he is younger than I thought- seems very frightened. I thought I would report the company, but wasn't sure if I should. Will do on Monday.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Thanks all. I will post some pics today. Yes, he does have some of this yellow down around his neck. I put some water out and some crushed chicken food and he hasn't touched either. Perhaps he is younger than I thought- seems very frightened. I thought I would report the company, but wasn't sure if I should. Will do on Monday.
Had a feeling this may be a juvenile here is a link to estimate his age:

http://www.speedpigeon.com/baby_racing_pigeon.htm

Here is a link to get some food and water into him, please pay attention to one of the links near the bottom that mentions how to get to self water, as it will be the easiest on you (and him) if you can at least get him started drinking on his own, you will need to pick up some small seeds for budgies or even a small bag of wild bird seed, we can try and get him to nuzzle for seeds or feed soaked seeds (links in the link below how to do both,

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/rescued-feral-help-please-48513.html#post522672

Any questions, ask.

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, got it. I estimate his age at 20-22 days based on the pictures. I have some birdseed and am going out now to see if I can get some food and water into him. Will let you know.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Good work, Laurie. If you had any inclination, you should also talk to the manager again and get the name of the business that was responsible for that reprehensible act.

If you have an Animal Care/Control dept. where you live, report the company to them.

The world needs more people like you. Thanks for caring !

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Laurie,

Begin this way -

Elect a small flat bottom Coffee Cup or similar small, stable thing, a couple inches deep, and, fill it with tepid Water ( Water which is close to body temperature).

Have the youngster on your Lap, on a folded Towel, as you sit.

Keep your Hands at or below his Eye level, to not approach him with Hands any higher than this for the time being.

Dip the finger tips of your right hand, into the warm Water, and, shake off the drops.

Have the Youngster facing right.

Softly 'massage' his Beak with your warm, moist finger tips, and, see if you can communicate to him, by this gesture, that you would like to feed and water him.

See if you can get him Nuzzling ( remember, keep your Hands low or about at his Eye level and never come at him from above ).

'Nuzzleing' is asserting or probing with his Beak, which is his way of asking to be fed or watered. This can also be accompanied by humping his Shoulders or flapping his Wings, and Squeaking or softly Honking or both, if it is full blown, but, in a situation such as yours, it would be tentative and skeptical rather than full blown, since you do not have these things worked out yet.

If you can get him 'Nuzzling', then, gently guide his Beak in to the low flat bottomed Coffee Cup, or small Tea Cup, of tepid Water, keeping your finger tips on his Beak as you do so, and, keeping your finger tips on his Beak as he drinks.

Work on this, and, let us know what success.

If success with this, then, spend a little time with both Hands cupped over him, as he sits on your Lap, and just talk softly to him offering affirms andpraises and tones of acceptence and affection, and, just in effect have your Hands over him as 'if' this were mom or dad 'sitting' on him, even though he is a little old for that.

Get some small whole Seed at Petsmart or other, such as a Canary or Finch Seed mix or Dove Mix.

Once you have the guided drinking thing working, we can run through the feeding stuff.

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Laurie, inside the link I posted, at the bottom of the page are links to post by Phil showing photos of him doing what he is describing in the hand feeding of seeds. Also, the post I mention on getting this little guys to self water is at the bottom, by Phil as well, that he had described here himself.

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I tried several times today to give him seeds and water. He seemed to get a bit of water in him, but did not display any of the described inclination to nuzzle or feed. A bit frustrated & worried, I left a seed tray and shallow dish of water in the house for him (yes, it just so happens that I have a small pidgeon house. I've kept flightless birds years ago, but they've all been self-feeding adults.) Anyway, I went to my parents for dinner & just came back & hes eaten up every seed and the water dish is empty too! So, I refilled him and am very relieved. So, what now? I don't want to handle him too much as I am really not in a position to make a pet of him. I don't mind at all taking care of him in the short term, but my goal would be to release him. Any ideas? He can't fly, I know that. I put him in a contained but spacious area to see if he could get off the ground, but he can't. The house hes in would not permit him to fly if he tried although it has several perches and an indoor & outdoor space. So, now what? I am so happy that hes eating! Poor dear must be so frightened. I am going to go by the grocery store tomorrow to speak with the manager and also to see if the other birds have re-claimed thier perches amongst the sign letters. Any advice about what I should expect from here on out would be appreciated. Heres a photo although its not a great one! Thank you for everything.
Laurie

Attachments

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Laurie, glad he took right to self feeding and watering, this must be a huge relief for you as you say. He will not be ready to be released back for 4-5 weeks yet, say when he is about 8 weeks old. Depending where you live there may be a chance he could be taken toa place that has other young, pre-release ferals to socialize with and be released together (not high odds for this, but you never know). Phil, and a few others, are very good with releases back to where they belong. He, and others, may have some thoughts for you.

Good job,

Karyn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much Karyn. Yes, any release or socialization advice would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
864 Posts
wow.. as i read your post i couldnt believe that those people would do these birds like that.
god forbid that happends on my watch there would be blood and i would end up in prison. im sure of it

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Great job on rescuing & caring for the Pigeon. When she/he gets to be about 5 weeks old, you should start thinking about a Soft Release regimen. It's an acclimation process which one must do if they are to release the Pigeon back to the Feral world.

You will need to find a healthy flock nearby, one where you can feed them for maybe 10-15 minutes/day without getting hassled by anyone. The short of it is, this process is a "stand-in" for how a fledgling would learn to survive from her/his parents. It is very successful, and for a baby the age of your pal there, it's even more so.

I have posted about this so many times, members are tired of reading it....so if you want info and help on it, just e-mail me. It would take about a week, 10-15 minutes/day, and you can skip a day in there somewhere if need be.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Thank you so much Karyn. Yes, any release or socialization advice would be very much appreciated!
Hi Laurie,

Is this Pigeon being kept where it can fly indoors presently? In order for you to be able to gauge somewhat it's present level of flying ability?

Also, could you post some images which actually show the Bird with no Hands wrapped around it.

Just the Bird standing on a Table top or something, so we can see them wholely...from the front, from the side. Fairly close up but not so close as to have some of him outside the frame.

Images of their fresh poops, also? Close-ups?

Thanks!

Phil
Las Vegas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts