Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,
I have found a pigeon which was hit by a car most probably, he doesn't use his legs, but he has some sensitivity in the legs. However, I think he has another problem - he hasn't pooped for at least 12 hours, nothing, not even some white small thing. I am giving him antibiotics, Nystatin and antiinflammatory, but I don't think this helps. Also since all doctors I know I don't trust them anymore, I don't know what to do. I have lost two pigeons with similar symptoms, and I never understood what the reason was. The crop is empty, but there are no poops.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My pigeon has died, I think I overfed him, but at the same time, I haven't given him so much seeds.
Apart from feeling deep sorrow from losing this angel, I would like to investigate as much as possible what happened. So any comments are welcome.

This is the fourth pigeon within the last month and a half that dies in my hands with the same symptoms. But they have nothing in commen, besides the symptoms and the way they die. They haven't met or touched to same object, completely independent pigeons. So these are present symptoms
  • crop failing to empty
  • smell coming from their mouth
  • smelly poop
  • poops are basically water
  • start breathing with open mouth in their terminal phase
  • some liquid coming out from the mouth or nose close to the terminal phase
  • trying to vomit with largely opened mouth, in their last terminal phase and this lasts one minute and they are dead
  • all happens very quickly, the time you realize there is something wrong, they are almost in the terminal phase
  • reduced activity and tendency to sleep three - four days before death
  • lots of water is released through the cloaca, approaching the death

Also
  • no yellow spots in the mouth, clean and pink throath
  • no vomiting otherwise
  • no reaction to antibiotics or antifungal, on the contrary
One of the pigeons was alive the whole day, at the end of the day I was sure that he has problems, and gave him antibiotics, antifungal, anti trichomoniasis and he died within two minutes. I gave the same doses and the same medications to another pigeon with problems with yeast and tricho, so I don't think the problem is combination of medication or quantity given.
The last pigeon dead was treated with antibiotics, Eusaprim, for four days.
  • no bleeding from anywhere
  • no neurological disturbances

Please, could you give me an idea what it might be? And what to do in such a case? Already four pigeons I try to rescue die like this and I don't find anything on internet that describes the same situation.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Are these mostly young pigeons? Are their crops full or empty when you find them? What canker meds do you give? Canker doesn't always show up in the throat, most can be internal. Do they drink excessive water?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, they are mostly young pigeons. I think rather empty. Did not pay attention though, but 3/4 were rather skinny. In belgium there is TrichoPlus - ronidazole. For the water, I don't think so. If you have any hypothesis, please share, I can't stand to lose any more pigeons like this. I have a pigeon who survived Paramyxovirus, a pigeon with trocho + yeast survived also three months, but this is terrible, this develops really fast, and the time you give some medicines is either already late or it is counter lifesaving.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They were all four young pigeons. One of them has grown at home, and the parents fed him all the time and the parents did not leave the house, they eat the best. I did not understand how could this happened to the young one. The other young is still ok, and the parents are also ok.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other three are street pigeons. The last one I was trying to empty the crop by warm water massage, but there were seeds, I couldn't get him to do it. I was planning to visit a vet first thing in the morning - he died around 5am. I noticed that the crop is not emptying in the afternon the day before because I fed him in the morning. He was about 15-20 days pigeon and I gave him perhaps 10-15grams seeds.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
If one looks at the average diet of a street pigeon: bread, chips etc. then definitely crop issues. The first drink of water must have pure natural unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Usually 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water, but for a sick pigeon maybe 7.5 ml to 1 litre if water. If yeast is involved, then antibiotics will make it worse. So only give Nystatin for a day or two and see if this makes a difference in the droppings.

Also try to order metronidazol for canker. Ronidazole gets added to the drinking water. But it's always good to stock 2 meds for canker.

Also get a handrearing formula for baby parrots. Make small balls by mixing the powder with a little bit of water and rather handfeed this. They must drink water when getting fed the balls. Much easier to digest than seeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts