Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a beautiful pigeon that we found and raised almost a year ago...
She is a female, and loves my husband to death.
But we have a problem and we dont know what to do about it, or what really happened....

Here, is what happened, she had an egg, several actually in the last couple of months, and like everytime she has eggs, my husband takes them from her because she has no mate, so they are no good.
The last time she laid an egg however, she limped for a day or two, like it really bothered her, then she was okay, this time after she lay her egg, she is scooting around her cage, like she cant stand up, like she doesnt want to stand up on her legs.

This I dont understand, and I dont know what to do to make it better, or what happened.

Any help, suggestions, advice, in this matter would be greatly appreciated because we want her to be okay and comfortable, and not in any
pain...:confused:

Thanks So Much

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
What is happening to your bird, is called post-egg laying paralysis.
What happens is the nerves that control leg movement, are near the pelvic bones. During egg laying, the nerves can get pinched between the egg shell and the pelvic bone. Once the eggs have passed, the bird is left temporarily paralyzed. It can be as simple as a limp, or as bad as not being able to move the legs at all. Usually it passes within anywhere from a few days, to a few weeks.
One of the things you can do to prevent both this, and egg binding (which is very dangerous. It often kills the mother if the egg doesn't pass), is to provide plenty of grit. Actually, you should have grit available 24/7. You should try to find a grit with crushed oystershell in it. Plain crushed granite alone (typical chicken grit) is good for digestion, but does nothing for calcium intake. At most farm stores you'll find crushed oyster shell. With that, they should get enough calcium. Calcium is vital for healthy egg shells, and good movement of the reproductive tract during breeding.
In a pinch, you can crush up some tums and give them to the bird, if nothing else is available.

When a bird undergoes post-egg laying paralysis or egg binding, you should hold the bird in a warm bath so the muscles can relax and those nerves will fall back into the proper place. Do this everyday until she can walk normally again. Otherwise, just make sure she's getting her calcium, food, and water, since it will be harder for her to while she's having problems walking. Try to keep her in a warm, dark place the majority of the time so she can remain calm while she recovers.

Another bit of advice, it is normal for single pet hens to take up with their owners and lay eggs for them. But you shouldn't remove the eggs. Let her sit on them until she abandons the nest. A bird's body goes under a lot of stress during egg laying, and it requires a lot of calcium. When you take the eggs away as soon as she lays them, she'll continue laying as fast as she can go, which can really stress the bird, weaken the immune system, strain the muscles, and deplete their calcium reserves. By letting her sit, she can recover fully and eat enough calcium to handle laying a healthy clutch again.
If you don't like the idea of having those eggs in there, you can hard boil one at a time, always keeping at least one egg under her. That will prevent them from busting and smelling up the house :eek: Or you can get some dummy eggs, and replace the real ones with them.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
If eggs are removed as soon as the hen lays them, it's natural for them to lay again very quickly. This is not good for the bird.

I would suggest just leaving the egg with her until she decides she's had enough of it or replace the natural egg with an artifical egg, e.g., wooden or plastic egg, and again let her sit on it.

It sounds like she may be depleted of calcium. Make sure she always has grit available.

Cindy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so very much

All we have right now is the Tums Tropical Fruit, can we give this brand to her and if so how many would we given to her and how would we give them to her?

Can we use a heating pad to keep her warm, my husband says she seems like she is shaking, but when he holds her in a towel, she is okay.

Also, whats the best food to feed her while she is recovering?

Thanks again so very much for all your help and understanding, bless you...

P.S. I didnt know about the eggs, I was told to take them from her, but now I know, to leave them.......

Thanks Robin

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Thank you so very much

* All we have right now is the Tums Tropical Fruit, can we give this brand to her and if so how many would we given to her and how would we give them to her?

** Can we use a heating pad to keep her warm, my husband says she seems like she is shaking, but when he holds her in a towel, she is okay.

*** Also, whats the best food to feed her while she is recovering?

Thanks again so very much for all your help and understanding, bless you...

**** P.S. I didnt know about the eggs, I was told to take them from her, but now I know, to leave them.......

Thanks Robin
* I, personally, have never given my birds tums. I wouldn't recommend the flavored ones though. Others will be along to assist you on this.

** Yes, you can place her on a towel lined heating pad, set on low. Make sure there is an area where she can move off it if she so desires.
If a pigeon is compromised, for whatever reason, their body temperature can drop rapidly. Providing a little supplemental heat will help to bring the body temperature back to normal and maintain it there.

*** If she is eating on her own, I would suggest giving her what she has been eating.

**** Sadly, that was incorrect information. :(

Could you give us your general location? There may be a member, rehabber or vet nearby that could assist you.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to post them. :)

Cindy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay searching the house for items, I have nothing in the way of calcium.. Is there anything that I can give to her, for calcium, that I might already have around the house!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is anyone there? I so need some help, please!
She looks so miserable, and I so want her to be okay!

I didnt know about the eggs, I will leave them from now on in her cage!
How long should they stay with her?

Thanks so much for the help in this matter......

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If Tums are all you've got, then Tums it is, because it's critical you get some calcium into her. I would cut one into 1/4 pieces and give her one of those....you may need to cut the 1/4 pill into smaller pieces to feed to her. Open her mouth and put it at the back of the throat and she will swallow. Give her another 1/4 piece in the morning.

She should always have red Pigeon grit, as Cindy told you and Oyster shell available at all times. Offer each in separate dishes and make sure it's always clean.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Leave the eggs with her until she kicks them out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay here is the problem, middle of week, no paycheck till Friday...Tums is all I have!
Is there anything else I acn do or give to her?

I wont to do what I can for our baby, because we love her so very much and want her alright, but we live paycheck to paycheck, so its very hard for us right..... : (

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have another question, please, concerning her cage, can we cover her cage with blankets to keep her in the dark and quite, and also put her in a shoe box with towels to keep her warm, or would it be better to keep her on a heating pad, in her cage in the dark?

Thanks again for all the help, its so much appreciated....

·
Registered
695 Posts
The only problem with the Tums is that it has binders and sugar in it, it's just not the best thing. If that's all you've got then use Tums.

You can put her in the dark if she's acting really distressed, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Though you may want to cushion the bottom of her cage with a towel so she doesn't injure her keel dragging herself along.

G

·
So the Tums, wont help!!!!!! : (
Yes, the tums has calcium in it. Give as Charis directed. The bird can't wait until Friday. And if a feed store isn't nearby, you can get oyster shell as well as calcium drops for pet birds in most pet shops. Pigeon grit you may have to shop around for.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
First, thanks so very much for all the help so far, its been awesome, to know that I can come here and ask for help and its there within seconds!!!!!!

So sorry, but I have another, actually several more questions, please, concerning her cage, can we cover her cage with blankets or blanket to keep her in the dark and quite?
Also, can we put a shoe box in her cage with towels in it to keep her warm, or would it be better to keep her on a heating pad, in her cage in the dark?

Any help, suggestions, advice, just anything, would be so greatly appreciated, and wanted.....

Thanks again for all the help, its so much appreciated....

Robin

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Keep her on the heating pad, with a towel on top of it and set on the lowest setting. She needs room to move off it if she gets too hot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sorry, I have another question, I so hope that its alright....

I have watched the baby and she looks like she is breathing almost like a deep pant, not a rapid pant.

Is this normal?

I have given the baby, the apple cider vinegar put her in her cage, on a towel, covered the cage, gave fresh food, and the water with the apple cider vinegar in it, and we are watching over her.....

What else can we do?

Also, I think the heating pad is too hot or its making her hot and she just site there, like she is nesting..................................
Any thoughts of what i should do!!!???

Thanks so much for all your help dear friend.....

Always Robin
God Bless

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Sounds like she is too hot.
Heating pad on lowest setting, towel on top, with room for her to get off if she is too hot.
Take her off the heating pad and she if the panting stops.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts