Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an inquiry mostly for anyone who chucks their unwanted eggs in the trash, eats them, or feeds them to other animals. In other words, if the egg is going to be disposed of anyway...send it to me! I will pay for any costs incurred to get them here.

Here is my ridiculous story: I recently found a pair of pigeon eggs on the ground. One of them actually started to grow, and I was SO excited!! I have raised many, many needy babies before, (possums, raccoons, owls, robins, finches...the list goes on. I have loved them all fiercely.) But never a pigeon. I was honestly so excited to try my hand at it. I bought Kaytee formula, a brooder, an incubator, did TONS of research on how to give it the very best life if I could get it to pull through...and then it's little life flickered out around day 6. I was...ridiculously devastated. I kind of felt like I had lost a pet, rather than an egg.

I've been told that I "love them too much," all of these pets of mine. But the truth is, they are very important to me. I can't have kids. I was told by a doctor that if I was to get pregnant, there is a very strong, very real chance that I would die. My dog, my cats, my aquarium, and even my little potted plants are what keep me going. They give me something to look forward to every day. Something to take care of. Something to research, to make every day good for them.

So, in short, it's dumb. And a lot of people have lectured me about why it would never work out, me trying to raise a pigeon. But somehow, in my broken brain, it was very important to me that that little bird hatched, and it didn't. And I would very much like to try again.

If anyone would be willing to ship me some eggs, I would be so grateful. We can work out pricing, and how best to get them here in one piece if you are willing to give me the time.

For anyone who even considers it, I thank you.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
It's not easy raising them from day 1. They need cropmilk from the parents. There's a lot of things that can go wrong and if you are able to raise them, you will have a human imprinted pigeon for the rest of your life.

Are you on FB? Why don't you join the Palomacy Help group for pigeon and dove rescue. There might be a post one day regarding a pigeon in need from a member close to you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It would be better for you to pick the fertile eggs. Sending via mail or any other carrier there is way to much movement and shaking and most likely the embryo will not survive. where abouts are you in the state?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be better for you to pick the fertile eggs. Sending via mail or any other carrier there is way to much movement and shaking and most likely the embryo will not survive. where abouts are you in the state?
I'm in Idaho. Everyone here seems to think they are trash birds, not worth having. I figured there's a pretty high chance that the shaking during shipment would cause issue, but after doing a lot of research on the topic I have found several instances where people HAVE had success, so it is possible I think? Just risky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I've talked to several people who have said that they are going to trash their eggs because they have too many and they still won't let me pay them to ship me some. Bummer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I see what you're saying! I don't have any eggs from my breeders at the moment cause all of them are separated. I'll take beachwood4578 offer and you will be better off with your project that way you can practice if it does not work. You still have the parents to take care of the young babies. Thanx beachwood4578 for offering, I was going to do the same thing..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts