Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted before about pigeon not flying (July 22). He is now flying but has trouble seeing when pecking seed. I picked him up and noticed he had matter on both eyelids which I tried to wipe off but they are hard and wont move. Any suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Looks like the start of pigeonpox. Do you have him secured in a safe spot? Those growths will get bigger, but will eventually dry up and fall off in a couple of weeks. Nothing one can do except make sure he is able to eat. Also supply probiotics and vitamins. Apple cider vinegar in the drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This will help prevent secondary infections until he has healed up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the information I agree with your assessment. I used to take him into the house the first 3 weeks when he wasn't flying. I used to give water with cider vinegar then. The last few days he has sat on the path waiting for me to put food under his beak. Unfortunately this attracts many other pigeons into my garden. Are these at risk of catching pigeon pox as well. I will get a probiotic and mineral supplement as recommended. Thanks for your recommendations I feel a lot more knowledgeable now and hope my pigeon visitor improves soon.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Pox is very contagious to other pigeons. Plse bring him inside and get a cage for him. Doesn't need to be a big cage. If the eyes get covered by those growths, he will starve out there. He is already having problems eating, so that's why he is waiting for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK Marina I have him already in a very large cat box in a small side room. All water bowls etc in the garden have been thoroughly disinfected and cleaned. And I have ordered some probilotics and vitamins for him. So glad you have given me this vital information. I will keep you posted to his progress.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Perfect. Don't be alarmed if the growths continue to grow, they will eventually stop and start drying up before falling off. Keep an eye on his droppings to make sure he is eating enough. You can post some photos of the droppings as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have some photos taken throughout the day. pigeon was on the floor at first and I took the basket to clean his nighttime dropping. I left him with some food and fresh water and came back to find he had flown up and found a cushion to rest. I made checks on him throughout the day and he liked be higher so I let him be where he was.
Mid morning and after he had some food I found him perched on his seed. He was like this for quite a long time. I don't think he ate anymore but had eaten a lot the day before when he was out in the open. The last two pics are of a dropping and one dropping with seeds..late afternoon I played a YouTube relaxing music with birds sounds he seemed to enjoy /that. I also got him to drink some water/cider vinegar from a spoon. He seemed to like that and quite a few sips. His probiotics/vitamins will be arriving tomorrow.

Furniture Comfort Textile Felidae Wood
Carnivore Bird Gas Audio equipment Automotive tire
Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Netbook Grille
Water Liquid Art Pattern Flooring

Attachments

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Can you perhaps post a close up photo of the eyes again (from the side). Those growths don't look like pox now. Might be ornithosis and that needs to be treated with antibiotics. Are there any watery discharge from the eyes?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Difficult to advice. I've never dealt with Ornithosis/Chlamydia. I had a look at photos online, and seems more like a swelling of the eyelids with some discharge from the eyes and nostrils. Looks different to your pigeon. The droppings indicate some infection and overall he is not looking well. Antibiotics to use will be doxycycline, which you will only get from a vet or order online.

Can you look inside his beak and back of the throat for any cheesy yellow growths? Easier if you use a flashlight. This is one symptom of canker. Looks like there's some missing feathers under his beak, another symptom of canker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have managed to bathe pigeon eyes with saline solution. His droppings are all black now no green. He seems a bit more perkier to me. He flies from the top of the cupboard to a table he has seed and seed and water treated with cider vinegar probiotics and vitamins. I let him listen to pigeon and bird noises from YouTube

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not confident enough to go near his beak. This is a very feisty bird. I have seen him grab another bird by the neck and push it off his patch when he was not flying. (see earlier post) I found this other bird dead the day after my pigeon took flight.. I found him whilst looking for my pigeon. It looked as he couldn't fly as well but he could because I had seen him on the fence once and he kept hanging around my pigeon.. Once he got into the shed and another time he was right at my back door next to the cat flap., He didn't have any growths or marks of attack etc. May have been an old pigeon dying off. It was the hottest time we have ever had in UK. The growths on my pigeon do not look any larger.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Now it starts to look like pox, esp in the first photo. Just continue with the probiotics, vitamins and the acv in the water twice a week. If you notice changes in the droppings, plse post photos. Then he is either not eating or sick with secondary infections.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts