Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I've had an adult wild pigeon taking refuge in my back garden for the last 3 days. I'm guessing it was attacked by a cat as the large feathers on it's left wing have been torn off.
It cannot fly, but is able to flap both of it's wings.
I found it when I went out to water the garden, and accidentally watered the poor bird who was hiding under some of my plants.

I tried to contact the local pigeon rescue 'Pete's Pigeon Rescue' for my area (Lincoln, UK) but he never responded (His rescue might be shut due to lockdown rules, I'm unsure?)

This morning I made a makeshift shelter for it in a very large, 6ft tall box. I speared wood through the sides so that it had somewhere to sit, put a towel in there and a bowl of water.
I also put a bowl with some cut apple, raw corn kernels, carrot and a raspberry. Unfortunately I don't own any seeds so I might have to go and get some.
I have been able to move it into the box by carefully lifting it, but it has a way to get up and down by itself.
I tried to get it to drink by holding the water bowl to it's beak but it didn't seem interested in drinking, or it might have been too scared.

I'm just trying to give it a comfortable place to rest for now. My friend said maybe try to find something to over the open face of the box with at night so that any wandering cats won't notice it?

I have attached photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
He will definitely need antibiotics. Cat saliva is deadly for a bird, he will get infection. I use Betamox (500 mg amoxycillin), I think in your country you need a prescription for that. What antibiotics do you have available?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts