Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heello, i just found my cat attacking a pigeon but i managed to shoo the cat away and i have now locked it upstairs in my room. When i tried to pick the pigeon up first time it was trying to fight back and fly away, but the next couple of tries it let me pick it up. I have now put it in an old cage that we used to take the cat to the vet in, it is okay sized. I placed towels in there before i put the pigeon in so it is warm, i have also placed towels over the top of the cage. i have put some bread in there and water and i just went to check and it is drinking the water. Is there anything else i can do now?? Thanks a bunch and please reply soon!!!!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
post your location so we may find a rehabber near you. all you are doing is good, please post your location asap as the bird will need antibiotics asap.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
90% of cats carry the pasteurella bacteria in their saliva and if it gets into a pigeon's bloodstream the pigeon can die within 24 hours of pasteurella septicemia, so if you can get it to a vet or a wildlife hospital they will be able to give it antibiotics.

Can you let us know where you are and what sort of pigeon it is? With any luck we might be able to identify somewhere that you can take it.

Alternatively, do you happen to have any human or feline antibiotics around?

It might also be that the pigeon was ill or young, which could explain why the cat found it and why you were able to pick it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts