Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone ,

my first post in this forum.

I wanted little information and help .I came across pigeon babies in the back balcony of my house few days back ,since we don't use that side of the house, so pigeons took advantage of it and laid eggs their .

now coming to the point ,for the past few days I'm little worried as I found that both baby pigeon's are having vague kind of red colored spotted beak and red spot near his/her eyes .

I guess it some kind of mite which has attack them or some kind of diseses.

picture attached .I will attach more picture tomorrow ,since it's 1 am in the morning here .

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
That looks like Avian Pox to me. If that is the case, the bird(s) need to be taken in and given supportive care until the pox lesions dry up and fall off. Without assistance, they may not be able to eat sufficiently on their own especially if the lesions are covering the eyes.

Where are you located? Perhaps we have a member in your area who could assist you.

Terry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply .

pox ..OMG! Well,I'm from India,Delhi .

now I'm getting little more worried because is it possible to get myself infected from these birds ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Dobato

in one of the baby the pox lesions is drying up (turning its colour from red to brown)... is it a good sign ?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
The pox lesions are caused by mosquitoes, they all need to dry up, and some human intervention, will help.

You can use colloidal silver topically to dry up the lesions and you need to make sure they are getting fed well.

Can you bring them inside and tend to their needs?

Thank you for your care and concern over these youngsters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Trees Gray :

well, can't bring them in ,since their parents feed them from time to time .

hmm yes mosquitoes are there .I can spray them away ,but before that I will have to remove the babies from that area.

Secondly ,I have to keep my face covered while I go near them. I get asthmatic /breathing problem due to the dirt etc they make.still ,I will do everything I can do for them :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I have a another question .

how much time will it take before they get rid of this disease ? 4 weeks ,I presume ?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think it's about 6 weeks, and is very contageous to other birds, but not to humans. Once they have had it, they become immune. Hopefully, the parents have had it already, or they could catch it.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Yes, six weeks for the virus to run it's course. Perhaps you could put food/water out for the youngsters and parents to ensure that it is available for them. Pigeon Fly will also transmit/carry the virus as well. Hopefully the parents will continue to care for the young. The worry would be that they
may discontinue either because the youngsters are sick or because it is simply
time for the youngsters to becoming self sufficient.

fp

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's true. The parents could stop feeding the babies because they are sick, and abandon them. In any case, they won't be feeding them long enough for the babies to get through this. They may very well need supportive care for a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts