Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there.

One of my Pigeons sadly passed away yesterday. He had Protozoa in his droppings and was very unwell and I am concerned about my remaining two Pigeons; I want to do what I can to prevent this tragedy from occurring once again.

I have purchased some Apple Cider Vinegar and Gaarlic capsules but would like some advice on how ton best use them in this situation.

Also are these definitely the right products?

The Vinegar just says Cider Vinegar but does have pictures of apples on thee label.

The Garlic capsules say they are Odourless Garlic Standardised extract.

I would like to make sure that these are both the real thing and not pseudo products.

The Vinegaar bottle-baack reads:

Ingredients

[Cider Vinegar (100%)]

Other information

Storage
Do not freeze. Store in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.

Packaging
Bottle

Nutritional Values
Typical values Per 100ml:
Energy 80kJ/19kcal
Protein 0.1g
Carbohydrate 0.5g
of which sugars 0.4g
Fat Trace
of which saturates Trace
Fibre Trace
Sodium Trace
equivalent as salt Trace

And the Garlic Capsules:

Standardised extract. One a day. Gluten free. No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. Odourless garlic (Allium sativum) 200mg food supplement capsules About this Product: Allium sativum, commonly known as garlic, is a species in the onion family, The bulb which is the most commonly used part of the plant, is divided into sections called cloves. The leaves, stems and flowers on the head are also edible. Garlic may be grown all year round, but in cold climates is harvested in late spring.

Ingredients

[Sunflower Oil, Beef Gelatin, Humectant (Glycerol), Stabiliser (Silicon Dioxide), Odourless Garlic Powder]

Other information

Allergy Advice
Free From Gluten.

Additives
Free From Artificial Colours. Free From Artificial Flavours. Free From Artificial Preservatives.

Storage
Store in a cool, dry place.

Packaging
Re-Closable Packaging

Nutritional Values
Typical values Typical weight
Each Capsule Provides
Odourless Garlic Powder 2mg
Equivalent to:
Fresh Garlic Bulb 200mg

Here are some Pictures:

http://postimg.org/gallery/33u37tctq/c6ea6a3d/

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Here is a good ORGANIC apple cider vinegar (yours is not the same): http://www.swansonvitamins.com/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar-32-fl-oz-liquid

Here is an excellent garlic product (I do not like the list of ingredients in that garlic): http://www.healthproductsusa.net/30_allicidin_complex_health.htm

The ACV will help with stabilizing the gut PH and generate good gut bacteria , and garlic will help with many issues, and will bring up their immune system. However, it is not a cure for everything.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks for the links I won't let the Pigeons have any of this stuff then, and will order thee products suggested.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Canker is something that can be brought on be stress, and other illness. ACV and garlic won't keep it away. You should read up about all the common pigeon diseases, and how to treat them, and prevent them. It would keep you ahead on things.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Jay I will be doing that. I plan to order some new supplies today.

I just read that ACV and Garlic were very good at helping fight bacteria and illnesses and I needed to get something asap to give to my two remaining Pigeons and felt I didn't want to risk ordering online and waiting potentially days.

But nonetheless I am going to be doing that anyway just even later than coould have been done... :/

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My money has been delayed and I literally have nothing left to order anything with for a week or so. Do you think any of the above posted would be safe + have a beneficial effect similar in any way to the products suggested? (organic apple cider vinegar + different garlic capsules?)

Any ideas of other things I could use to help prevent bacteria/illness + protect health etc that are home-made or very cheap?

I want to buy the best but money is a huge issue right now...sucks.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
ACV will put an acid environment in the gut, which the good bacteria that help to fight infection do like, but the bad bacteria that cause illness do not like. So any ACV would be good. You can always pick up the bragg's ACV or whatever when you can. Many people crush a few cloves of garlic and drop them into a gallon of water and give it to their birds a couple of times a week. You can do that.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi sbarra1x,
Vinegar made from organic apple cider has natural enzymes, minerals, vitamins and essential acids and it in turn acts more like a probiotic restoring ph gut balance.
Its has the mother unfiltered in it that helps the pigeons in making their gut acidic for harmful bacteria.
The one Skyeking suggested would be my first choice.

Fresh garlic cloves are best to be used. Just put them in water and let the pigeons drink it. Water may need to changed after 5-6 hours in summers as garlic treated water may start to rot. Garlic is a anti fungal,anti parasitical and a blood purifier.

If you have turmeric powder,you can make small balls of it by mixing it with a little water and can give it to your pigeons. Its anti viral,anti protozoal and anti bacterial.
Hope your pigeons stay in good health!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes the organic vinegar would be better, but some are not going to buy it, and the regular ACV will still put an acid environment in their gut. You can find it in some supermarkets. We can get Bragg's in a market out here. So you don't always have to have it shipped. You just have to look for it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys thanks for the info very helpful.

My Pigeon's droppings have been looking normal lately but last night and today I noticed a couple that were different (watery looking but I don't think diarrhoea?)

I know it's a bit vile but would be great if anyone could take a look and let me know what you think. Apologies in advance! :)

http://postimg.org/gallery/2uyqveo1a/b2607a6d/ (the large blackish bits in the second one are just stains from old droppings.)

Also there's this one which looks more normal to me though something didn't feel right so need to be on safe side!

http://postimg.org/image/8q9i7ster/8c8777b9/

The Pigeons seem to be in good health. They are flying and eating. I have not seen them drinking but I am confident they are. And they do not appear to have lost any weight even when not fluffed up.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
For me, looks like a pretty sick bird but don't know what it is. Maybe worms?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am surprised to hear that. They are both acting normal, eating, flying. Pretty sure all of their droppings bar the ones in the photos have been normal but then I don't really know anything about it...they just look like you would expect.

Is there anything else that could cause droppings like these that is not some kind of illness/infection?

More input appreciated!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot to mention in OP: in the third picture that's not all from one Pigeon.

Just thought I would clarify.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are these droppings normal?

Hey. One of my Pigeons sadly passed away recently and I have been keeing a close eye on his two loft mates.

Thier droppings have been looking normal lately but yesterday I noticed a couple that were different (watery looking but I don't think diarrhoea?)

I know it's a bit vile but would be great if anyone could take a look and let me know what you think. Apologies in advance!

http://postimg.org/gallery/2uyqveo1a/b2607a6d/ (the large blackish bits in the second one are just stains from old droppings.)

Also there's this one which looks more normal to me though something didn't feel right so need to be on safe side! Note that's not all from one Pigeon.

http://postimg.org/image/8q9i7ster/8c8777b9/

The Pigeons seem to be in good health. They are flying and eating. I have not seen them drinking but I am confident they are. And they do not appear to have lost any weight even when not fluffed up.

These are some fresh ones from this morning that appear normal to me but are they supposed to be greenish?

http://postimg.org/gallery/1kkwr6l0/b24e82f6/

Cheers!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You don't know what was wrong with the one that passed? What were his symptoms? How did he look? These may need treatment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Opss that post was supposed to be a new thread.

I have already posted everything I know about the Pigeon whom passed away :/

He had very bad diarrhoea (did not look like the pics,) couldn't fly, was underweight, always puffed u, tight eyes, had to bee hand fed, and had Protozoa in his droppings.

He also had a possible lump on his neck area but this was not confirmed.

These two fellas are flying around like normal, eating like normal, and the only abnormal droppings so far are the ones attached.

(I don't know if the last pics two pics are normal droppings, they look normal to me.)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The vet had him on Metro, if I remember correctly. Any birds with him should be treated for it too. Probably canker.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How would I go about doing this though? I don't have any money for vet visits to get more canker medication :/

Also are the droppings on the last link normal? because all of their dropping bar the ones in the first two links look like those, and they are acting perfectly normal :/

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well when I have a sick bird that I have had treated at the vet, I then tell her that I need more medicine for the mate. They understand that and give it to you. You will have to pay for the medication, but that should be all. They don't charge you for a vet visit. Most meds I do have to treat the flock.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey. I will try to get hold of some more Metro then thanks.

I am just concerned that I would be giving it to them when they don't need it. Like, would it be harmful to them if it turns out they do not have canker, or would it still be safe?

Also could you please let me know if the droppings in the last link are normal? Because over the last 5 days all of their droppings that I have seen have looked like those (aside from the ones in the first two links) albeit sometimes more brown and less greenish tint.

Could it possibly be something less serious causing those abnormal droppings like the Pigeon equivalent of an upset stomach? Or maybe needing more grit, that kind of thing?

I don't want to take any chances of course.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts