Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two fantail pigeons that are not paired yet. I have noticed some different behaviors but I don't know if they're natural because I havn't had that many pigeons. It seems like sometimes when the male starts cooing to the female the female will start pecking, "wing slaping", and chasing him away untill he stops cooing. She doesn't do it everytime he starts cooing but every once and awhile. I have noticed the same thing with my pair of mookees but eventually they paired and had some eggs. The female still (even with eggs) sometimes gets mad when the male starts cooing and chases him away. What does this mean?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh...... does that mean that they're not a good pair?:(

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I experienced that. The female was not interested in the male. Some of my hens prefer bad boys. Some prefer the nice ones. The males, however, just want anyone except one that prefers my best flying hen. Unfortunately she is not available. She is mated with my second best flier. I think pigeons left to themselves actually have preference themselves.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Rod is right, pigeons definitely have their own preferences.
I like to put a bunch of pigeons of compatible colors in a loft (for instance blacks and indigos to make andalusians) and then pull all the unmated birds out in a few weeks.
Keith

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh good. Sounds like i'm not the only one with this. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts