Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what my bird's doing.

Dud is a young bird rescued after his parents abandoned him, about a month and a half old, he's got cool colors but otherwise he's not a specific breed or anything. I'm not entirely sure he is a he or otherwise, haha!

ANYWAY.

If I drag my fingers across the floor he runs up to me, lays down, flutters his wings, and shoves his head under my hand; his tail is down ( not dragging, just not held upright ) when he does all this. Is he simply asking for petting ( as he loves it when I scratch his head ), being aggressive, or just being silly?

He's kind of special sometimes so maybe this is just some random behavior he made up himself. He does seem to have minor depth perception issues so maybe he's just trying to peck me / be aggressive, but missing, and then just rolling with the fact that his head wound up under my hand. No idea.

Also unrelated but my goodness if he isn't the most active bird I've ever had. All day every day he's like flying from chair to desk to top of desk to cage to fish tank to ceiling fan, falling off ceiling fan, to my head, my shoulder, fish tank again, so on. Just.. all over the place. LOL At least I don't have to worry about him getting fat or something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its possible that you pigeon could be a girl?
Hunkering down could be a sexually mature female adopting a position for mating, my hen does it, I think she somehow perceives my hand to be another bird.

Jemma

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the time Blue was still a juvenile, but now she's mature and i'm about 80 percent sure she's a girl. She does the behavior much more exaggerated now, while cooing, and sometimes when petting her she lowers her booty feathers as well lol!

Either a girl or a male with questionable preferences..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts