Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Her Condition is worse know.. I noticed that she also have swollen back i am attaching pictures. She also have given egg one day before and i think she is not feeling well because of laying large egg please tell me what to do? (Sorry for my bad English)
@Marina B

Attachments

· Registered
1,778 Posts
Hi, this is a very serious condition.

From what I understood she laid only the first egg, right?
Your bird has a cloacal prolapse and, if I understood correctly, probably she can't lay her second egg (the heavy breathing and the swollen back are related to the egg).

If she is egg bound you could try a warm bath: put her in a basin (or in the sink, etc) with warm water covering her bell/abdomen and her vent area. Gently keep her inside the water for about 10/15 minutes. Of course, you must handle her really carefully because the egg could get broken.
If you can quickly find paraffin oil (here you can buy it in pharmacy, it's a lubricant) you can apply it with a cotton bud on her cloaca after the warm bath.
After the bath and oil put her back in her nest.
I had a pigeon, Londo, who had a cloacal prolapse and could not lay her second egg. Fortunately she laid it after the bath/oil. So please try that.

Other than warm baths you could also try steam baths (you could put her into a small box or carrier then put it in the shower. Put a basin full of hot water next to it, close the curtain shower and the bathroom door. Let her there for about 15 minutes). But honestly in this urgent situation I think that baths would be more helpful.

Is she getting enough calcium and vitamin D3? I would immediately give her a source of calcium.

Our first goal is helping her in laying the second egg then we will think about cloacal prolapse. If baths and paraffin oil don't work do you know a serious and knowledgeable vet?

Please keep us updated.

· Registered
1,778 Posts
How is she doing? Did she lay the second egg?
If not, have you tried a warm bath (warming helps muscles contraction)? Have you looked for paraffin oil?

Sometimes it could not be possible to feel the egg (because, for example, it could be stuck in the high reproductive tract).

Have you given her extra calcium (like a water soluble calcium supplement in the highest dosage suggested by the manufacturer) and a complete vitamin supplement (selenium, vitamins E and A are also important)? Calcium is essential for muscles contraction. She absolutely needs it.

Egg related issues (there is a wide range of issues and situations) are very dangerous and could be lethal for hens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts