Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever been to a "chicken camp?" (It's a training exercise to improve dog training skills with clicker training.) I assume the same could be done with a pij, I plan on trying it for fun. Has anyone done any trick training of their pijs? I know first I need to get my pijs on a feeding schedule, that is in process. What would be a super duper pigeon treat? Is there any foods that pigeons go crazy about?

Ever since I got my pij a girlfriend, he has become less interactive with me. I understand that as I found a most beautiful hen for him.:) I'm hoping some one on one training might help him bond with me too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
my first post ever on these boards had to do with that very topic. I am going to start training my 2 this spring when the weather is much more tolerable. The treat will depend on what the bird you're working with likes. try some different foods to find his motivator. Or you could take the Nothing In Life is Free (NILF) approach that some dog trainers take, and use his daily rations as his motivator. I do this now with my two, when I want them to come back to me or their loft I use their food as a reward along with a signal(whistling, calling and rattling the food).
Have you done any clicker training before?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done lots of clicker with my dogs. I have sighthounds and they are not known for being easily trained. Clicker makes all the difference with them. They shut down with "conventional" methods. I watched some chicken camp on youtube. Now I really want to try it with the pijs!

I'm still currently working on finding a good diet for them in general. Then I'll start experimenting with how much to feed so they eat it all fast, and feed a little less on a training day. I don't think I'm committed enough to do Nothing in Life is Free at this point.

Thanks for the treat suggestions, I will try chopped peanuts and go from there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found mine eat what they like the most first, maybe you could watch them at meal time to see what they go for and in what order.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
When I came to this thread, I thought it was going to be an idea that has been in my mind for awhile. But it isn't what I thought.

I went to dog training school back in 1980. I was there for a month. It was in Nashville and I stayed on site. It was a great experience. It cost a total of less than 3K for everthing except going out on the town stuff. It included food, lodging, etc. Met some interesting people from all over the U.S.

So anyway. Here is my idea. Could someone either here in the U.S., or in Europe, start up a Pigeon Camp whereupon someone could pay 1500 bucks and stay on site for two weeks, and be taught all about racing pigeons. From selection of birds, feeding methods, medicating, vacinating, the Dark System, the Light System, widowhood, breeding, feather control, parasite control, etc, etc?

Of course my idea would have to be tweaked some. Maybe three weeks and maybe one week.

A respected pigeon guy who is retired say, but has a reputation for success in the sport. Could open something along the lines of a bed and breakfast thing for 4 to 6 "students" at a time. But have instruction for all the above, until the evening hours.

Heck. I would pay 2 grand to spend two weeks with a "master", and be taught what he knows.

Or a lot of what he knows. He may not want to impart to me everything. :)

If someone in Florida offered this. All the better. I'm in. It would be an adventure.

Someone could bring in 6K gross, in a month. Maybe more depending on how much space they had. A local motel could be procured for housing even. A deal on four rooms for two weeks could easily be obtained. Double occupancy.

Just a pie in the sky thought.

I'm in a boring town, with no close lodging, a small house, and most importantly I am a nobody in the sport and barely know anything about it. So, it is not something I could personally do.

But I would attend such a thing. It would be great to meet other flyers, learn a masters methods, and find out quicker about this sport, other than trial and error.

As I said. Just a thought.

·
Registered
25 Posts
conditionfreak, It seems like it would take a lot of hands to put that venture forth. cooks(unless you made the students dine out in which case the price would drop), loft muckers(you'd want the lofts to be as close to spotless as possible, and may require some lisencing or certification), house keepers, inspections and so forth. just seems like it would take a lot to start up and maintain. I am sure there are people who'd do it, but it sounds like a big investment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that was neat. I think my doves are going to be better subjects than my pijs because they are more tame. There's no way the pijs would eat out of my hand yet. But I plan on training the pijs at some point. I'm trying a new food for the doves, but I think the pieces might be too big. I will get some peanuts next time I'm at the store to see if any of the birds like them. I'll post as soon as I get the doves eating on a schedule and start training.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts