Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted a wild pigeon in the rain today on a roof outside my office. It was lying flat on an angled roof with it's wing spread out. I watched it for a while and then went out to the overhanging roof to get a better view and it flew away and came back and basically crash landed near the same spot it was sitting.

I kept an eye on it from my desk and noticed a family of pigeons that live in an opening under an over hang return from feeding and the male or the biggest one walked over to the injured one and started pecking on his head and the pigeon slid off the roof and flew to a telephone wire but couldn't land. It then went down toward my vehicle and landed on the roof and fluttered down the rear of the SUV and wound up under my vehicle in the pouring rain.

Feeling bad about the butt kicking this poor pigeon was just served up I went downstairs and looked under my car and saw him just sitting there. So I started my vehicle and went back to make sure it wasn't near a tire and pulled forward and walked back and was able to cup my hands and pick up the pigeon while holding it loosely I carried it inside our factory and put it into a small unused office inside an open cardboard box with a towel in it. The pigeon remained calm and alert and was just looking at me. I even was able to stroke it's head and it seemed to enjoy it some. It did show signs of leg and foot movement but very weak. The legs and feet seem to be in a natural position, not broken. For now it's raining like mad outside and I have a warm and comfy flying pigeon that cant stand or walk on my hands. Oh yes I put a 1 1/2" deep heavy dish of water in the box and 8 pieces of fresh bread chunks in there too to see if it would eat or drink anything.

My problem is, who do I call or how do I deal with this poor bird if it stays this way. Our humane society doesn't take wild birds. Any thought on what may have caused this "paralysis" and if it could be curable? I'm new to this site and never thought I'd be writing about a pigeon, but I'd like a good ending to this. I have pictures and a short video of the bird

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Walter Pigeon,

Thanks for helping this little guy out. Here is a link below that describes a bird in similar physical circumstances to the one you have just helped. I made some suggestions in the thread for making the bird comfortable with a towel for support and food and water within neck reach, you could follow the same for yours for now, it would be good if you could get him some wild bird seed, get the kind that does not have large sunflower seeds or peanuts in it. Where are you located by the way?

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/you-guys-are-great-amp-i-need-help-43407.html

Karyn

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Karyn,

Location is Oshkosh, WI. Right now we have a noisy thunderstorm and I feel good that he / she is out of the rain and warm. I'll get it some bird seed in the morning and am going to call the Wisconsin Humane Society in Milwaukee, they actually take injured or sick birds and other wildlife to rehab. If the prognosis is fair the pigeon may be making an eighty five mile road trip tomorrow to get help. I'll check out the link you enclosed. Thanks. I'll let you know the outcome, check back.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Walter Pigeon, before brining in the bird to the Wisconsin Humane Society in Milwaukee it would be good if you could check into their PTS (put to sleep) policies. Some organizations just don't have the resources to spend a lot of time to rehabilitate a severely debilitated bird, so many just humanly euthanize them (PTS). Sometimes these birds, with time and care, can make a full recovery, but never get the chance. Here is another story of a similar bird to yours, it took a few months, but again, this bird did eventually make a full recovery.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f20/injured-pigeon-in-toronto-20092.html

Karyn

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good for you!

Thank you for taking him in! It's people like you that make this world a better place!;) I am looking forward to updates to see how this story unfolds. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping this little one. This may just be a case of nutritional deficiency and stress, and can easily be remedied.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello,

Walter made it through the night and is showing some signs of twitching in his legs and feet. He was sitting more normal and the feet were not showing on the side like last night.

He lets me lift him up but if I get my finger close to his beak he squeaks and nips to show me who's boss. We had a huge thunderstorm last night and I'm really glad I brought him in out of the weather.

He seems a lot more alert and I put out bird seed for him and a heavy bowl of water about 1" to 1 1/2" deep. What is the best nutritional feed for a pigeon? He seems to have eaten some of the seed there was a dent in the center of the pile and about 7 droppings so I changed the box with clean stuff.

I called the Wisconsin Humane Society in Milwaukee but got a recording and left a message. If they mention the possibility of PTS policy I'll have to rethink it. I am willing to donate or sponsor his/her rehab as a gesture. We donate to area Society's in memory of of our cats that have moved on, so this is a good excuse.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If he squeaks and nips your fingers, this means two things:
- this is young bird (squeaker)
- he is hungry and asks you to feed him.
Probably he is too young and it doesn't know how to feed.
Please get some thawed peas and corns, run hot water ower them until they are warmed. Take bird in your lap (you can wrap it in towel or old t-shirt to stop wing flapping) open gently his beak and pop in peace of corn/pea. Push it down the throat until bird swallows. Repeat prosedure with approximately 50 peaces of corn/peas.
Feed it like this twice a day and provide mixed seeds in small dish so he can peck and another dish with water.
Thank you for helping this bird!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Is there any possibility this could be Liz's Trooper? We never knew where Trooper came from.

·
Registered
813 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE post a picture.. We have a member who is missing a DEARLY LOVED pet and I am wondering if this could be him?? I will come back and post a picture of Trooper to see if there is any resemblance! BRB! and THANK you so much for caring for this lil' one~~ I have made a call to Lizz hopefully she signs on soon!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
i'm here i'm here i'm here!!! even if it 's not trooper, i can help. or at least try.

have a number for me? and if you want photos, and a story of trooper's miraculous recovery, i can post a link to the thread, or you can search 'threads started by lizz' on my profile.

call me if you want, or find me on facebook

lizz doptis
216. 338. 2561

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Liz...go into walter pigeons profile...open up the v card and email him. You also might call the humane society he was talking about and alter them.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You are only 333 miles apart... don't want to get your hopes too high but,it really could be Trooper.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
If he squeaks and nips your fingers, this means two things:
- this is young bird (squeaker)
- he is hungry and asks you to feed him.
Probably he is too young and it doesn't know how to feed.
Please get some thawed peas and corns, run hot water ower them until they are warmed. Take bird in your lap (you can wrap it in towel or old t-shirt to stop wing flapping) open gently his beak and pop in peace of corn/pea. Push it down the throat until bird swallows. Repeat prosedure with approximately 50 peaces of corn/peas.
Feed it like this twice a day and provide mixed seeds in small dish so he can peck and another dish with water.
Thank you for helping this bird!
And as he is a squeaker then it is possible that his leg problems are caused by a lack of calcium...it won't do him any harm to have some calcium supplements. Plus sunlight and Vitamin D3.

He will need supplementary feeding as suggested by plamenh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Walter has found some really good help! How do I post pictures of Walter?

I found a bird rehab center close to my city, it is a vet who has saved a falcon with a broken wing and leg and lots of other birds. She promised she would do all she could for Walter and said on initial inspection that he has a broken leg and some injuries showing on his belly that he may have been attacked by a hawk but got free. Chalk one up for Walter!

I too was hoping it was Trooper but Walter has a completely black head otherwise he is a ringer for Trooper. Unless pigeons change color in the facial area in spring. He's in good hands for the time being and I told them to keep in touch with progress reports.

I'm new to this site and haven't figured out how to post a picture of him.

·
Registered
279 Posts
for the pictures you could either start an album, which is easy, and done from your profile on here - i ALWAYS have issues posting photos in a thread.

probably if you email them to some one PT they can post them for you.

and actually, just for my own peace of mind, if you could email them to ME, i'd appreciate it.

[email protected]
or send them to me via facebook
lizz doptis

thanks, and thanks for taking care of wee walter.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts