Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dove which has the symptoms of canker. I gave him metronidazole, seems to be better, however it still swallows with big dificulties.
I'm wondering if I can give him an anti inflammatory medication. Could advise me what anti inflammatory is recomended?
Also I want to know if aspirine, metamizole or ibuprofen are good.

·
Registered
892 Posts
How many days did you dose with the metronidazole? Where are you located in case we have a member near you that can help. Can you post a pic of the bird and a pic of the poops?Hold off the other meds you mentioned until someone better versed in meds comes on to tell you if and how you should use them.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hello,

I don't think an anti inflammatory would help. I wouldn't use any of the ones you mentioned on pigeons , but Pigeon Recovery used to advise 1/4 aspirin for a bird in terrible pain. I use Metacam, but even that can be too powerful for a pigeon.

Cynthia

·
Registered
18 Posts
the best thing i've found for canker in doves and pigeons is vitamin e. you can get it at walmart, it's a liquid pill, just wet the 1 pill and put it in the birds mouth twice a day, it takes a week to clear up the canker. i used to try all the other meds, and always lost the bird, i havent lost 1 since i started the vitamin e.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts