Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, we noticed one of our pigeons has been acting strange. He was sitting on floor of coop and appeared clumsy and having difficulty standing upright. He was removed from the flock and now isolated in the house. He cannot stand at all not and his legs are spread out flat (see picture). He does not seem to have any difficulty breathing or eating. He was born in the spring time of this year.
Any thoughts or advice very much appreciated
We are located in northern NH.
Thanks!.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I cannot view the picture. Is the bird eating/drinking? How do the poops look?
Is it possible it is a 'she'? Egg laying can cause temporary paralysis.

Please keep her warm, on a heat pad set on low. Or you can cover a hot water bottle with a towel and keep her on top of that. If she is not eating/drinking, you will have to start hand-feeding.
I suggest showing her to a vet immediately.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Most common causes for such things are:

-lack of calcium
-affection of neuronal connections by a disease like Coccidiosis or Salmonella
-artritis, most often of bacterial origin. Fosfomycin is the best antibiotic, as has th smallest molecule that can pass through the articular capsule. I threated two birds with Fosfomycin and both started to fly in a short time, I think other antibiotics would have taken much longer.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
https://twitter.com/HDMurf/status/516784750829527040

Link of picture of my bird, I hope it works
You need to upload the picture in a post on here. See: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_imattach

The calcium deficiency referred to by AndreiS would be the easiest to tackle. Look for a calcium + D3 supplement online (unless you have a pigeon supplier near you). Foys, Jedds, etc. sell them. Just providing grit would not be enough if this is the problem. If nothing else you would eliminate it as a suspect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts