Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my pigeon (snowball) is acting very weird today. I took her out of her cage today (she stays indoors with me) and she couldn't walk. She would just lay there with her feet tucked under her. THey weren't spalyed or sticking out. And then when tried to walk she would fall forward and she uses her wings to help keep her balance. But just earlier today she was standing on the side of her water bowl drinking normally. What really worried me is when I went to fill her food bowl she didn't really act normal. Usually she goes crazy when she sees her food. She can stand and she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable when she stands but she just seems to not want to and lays back down. She can also fly normally, when i tried to put her back in her cage she flew up to the top of my bed post (andd pooped) like she does all the time. I'm assuming she is calcium deficient so i sprinkled a little calcium in her food (the kind with d3 that i use for reptiles).
I sometimes put a nesting box in her cage whenever i notice her taking the dead leaves from my plants and taking them to her cage. So there has been one on her cage for about 2 weeks now. Also when i do this, she seems to hold in her poop all day and then lets out these massive "poops" like 5-6 times a day. Her poops aren't watery but they are kinda runny. Any ideas on what could be wrong with her?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
She may be egg bounded. Put her on a heating pad on low and a humid towel over the pad.
Give her CA & D3 ( the one for humans is good). 250 mg cut it in 4 pieces and give her 1 piece every 12 hr. You can give her a higher dose now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She actually laid an egg 5 minutes ago. I did put the heat pad under her nest box/tray. She still seems a little wobbly and unstable but she does look a little more comfortable. Hopefully she'll pass the second one (if there is a second one) as well

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I would still give her the calcium and D3 pill quartered, twice a day until she lays the other egg.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I think Jay is absolutely right about keeping up the calcium and d3 ... She may well be deficient in vitamin D3 in general, if she's an indoor bird. Without sufficient d3, they can't use calcium properly and that can lead to problems with laying, as well as health in general.

It's a good idea to supplement calcium and d3 regularly for indoor hens who lay regularly. It's also a good idea to get an ultraviolet lamp for them, if they don't get any natural, unobstructed sunlight. (Sunlight through a window doesn't have the necessary uv rays.) I just bought lighting for all my birds, and they LOVE the lamps!

I also think the moist heat that Dima suggested is a good idea -- it'll help her pass the other egg. If she's off balance and showing symptoms of paralysis, she's probably having a difficult time laying this clutch.

The thing you mentioned about holding poops, and then having huge, runny poops when she's about to lay or while she's sitting on eggs...that's normal for laying hens. These poops are often pretty stinky, too, since they have been held for a while.

I am certainly glad that my hens don't choose to sit on my bedpost when they let those type of poops really rip...lol ;)

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
If she laid an egg, it sounds like 'egg paralysis'. When they pass an egg, it can pinch the nerve, similar to sciatica in people :eek: Very uncomfortable.
I would give the vitamins and calcium as suggested, keep on a heating pad set on low, it helps relieve the pain, and let her keep the egg or give her a fake egg. She should lay another egg in a day or two.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THanks guys for helping me out. I gave her the calcium and d3 twice today. She is getting better. SHe isn't fully recovered but i can definitely see improvement. I may give her the other 2 pieces of the calcium pill today/tomorrow.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Glad she is getting better. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You should keep an eye on her and everytime she is due to lay eggs give her 1/4 pill Ca & D3 ( whole pill 250mg) before she lays first egg and until she lays the second egg.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She hasn't laid the second egg yet. But I'm not sure if there will be a second egg. Last time she laid there was only one.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
She hasn't laid the second egg yet. But I'm not sure if there will be a second egg. Last time she laid there was only one.
I just had to bring 'Tootsie' in for the same thing 2 days ago. She has never successfully laid eggs or raised her own young. She lays about 1 egg a year and gets 'egg paralysis' every time. :confused: (she's 7 years old now)
She was my first 'hand raised' baby, her parents kicked her out when she was 2 weeks old. The other odd thing she does is......She will go around the loft to sit and care for 'others' babies when they leave them to go eat or stretch their legs. I think she really wants babies, but can't have her own.
For egg paralysis, just keep her separated (so others don't trample her), supply a heating pad (on low), give calcium and vitamins. They usually come around in about 3-7 days. This happened to Tootsie the same time last year and I ended up keeping her inside all winter. Looks like she's inside for the winter again. I think she plans it that way! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Pigeons are smart. She knows where it's warm and comfy. Hope she is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so she did lay her second egg last egg last night. She is feeling so much better now... She not as wobbly and she actually wants to come out of her cage now. Before she'd just sit there in the nest. Thanks again guys for all your help!!!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That's great news! I am so glad she's feeling better!

Be sure she gets calcium and vitamin D regularly, which can help prevent this happening again.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm also glad to hear she's ok. Reading this is suspenseful! Do heed everyone's advice - calcium supplement and Vit D3 is VERY important for a hen (with or without a mate!). Please make sure that you see her eating the calcium/vit d3 (if you give her pills, even better!)... and also try to get her into the direct line of sunshine any opportunity you get.

Good luck!

Since she's laid her second egg (thank goodness!), its time to whip out that camera and show all of us! I'd love to see mommy and eggs!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If she can't have direct sunlight, you can get a UV lamp for her -- I just bought these for all my birds, and I am a huge convert to them. My birds love them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts