Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone like to expand on the subject of these carriers and baskets for training and transporting pigeons? I'm seeing all different kinds and then I'm seeing some people who are just using little cat carriers. So, what's the scoop? Is there an advantage to these specially made carriers? And why do some of them have dividers?

Here's some links for reference:

New England Pigeon Supply

Siegel's

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I prefer the dowel topped canvas sided crates, with a small top door and a large "release" door on the side... They are easy to work with and are easy on the birds, and fold up when not in use, i have four, not all as i described, by the fold downs are my favorites.. Dave

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Would someone like to expand on the subject of these carriers and baskets for training and transporting pigeons? I'm seeing all different kinds and then I'm seeing some people who are just using little cat carriers. So, what's the scoop? Is there an advantage to these specially made carriers? And why do some of them have dividers?

Here's some links for reference:

New England Pigeon Supply

Siegel's
The dividers are so you can separate cocks and hens if you are in need of keeping them separate (widowhood system).

Dan

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, is there any reason I couldn't use a pet taxi for awhile?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I am using a cat carrier at the moment but the dowells are the best. This is because the small doop at the top is so you can catch the bird and put it into the carrier without the others getting out. The side door is when you release then they all can fly out together. My cat carrier gets old when I have caught six and catching number seven and left the door unlatched so now I must start over. With the small door at the top the birds cannot push it open and it is easier for you to open and drop the bird in with the others.
I have the plans to make one it you want it. I busy with the "Honey Do" list at the moment to make it myself.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have used about any thing you can think of to transport Pigeons in my life..cardboard boxes ect. But if you are taking them out to train for flying, I recommend they can see out of the Top, and be released with as little Stress as possible. A good Carrier, is one of your best investments.... Dave

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Let me add; http://www.strombergschickens.com/index.php to Foys and Seigel...Having a carrier / training / transport basket or crate is one way to bring as many birds as you want to release your birds...Having a dividers in it will prevent the birds from pecking and fighting while inside the crate during the travel/transporting...I suggest that buy the bigger basket/crate that way there always a room for the birds to run away from bully bird(s)...I use the crate that I found on the shoulder of the highway and modify it with a easy access door so my birds can just walk out easy than hopping on the top part of the crate...The advantage of this, for my opinion, it's easy to load every bird in one crate and spacious for all my birds...You can actually put the birds in any type of training basket/transport crate or something you can build...If you will do a homemade training basket/crate make sure it is light for you to carry and easy for the birds to come out to fly...

Mine looks like this one on this link and like I said, I modify and put an aluminum exit door for my birds to walk out the crate...

http://www.strombergschickens.com/images/coops/COOP12_L.jpg

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Ya, Lucky is right get a good one. Anouther thing you might watch for is if it is a tall pet carrier (some are) and the birds get scared they might try to fly and injure themselves when they hit the top. This is why the pigeon carriers are low and just over the height of a pigeon so they can't fly up and get hurt.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I got one from an Ebay seller. It is aluminum and is great. Top opening for putting in the birds and for catching a specific bird. Also a side opening for letting them out all at once, just like a race basket.

I can look up on Ebay and find the seller if you need me too. He had many different kinds and the one I purchased is great. It has only one compartment but if I remember correctly, the seller had several types. It does not fold up, but is aluminum and should last a lifetime. It has a removable wooden floor for cleaning. Talk about easy to clean. Can not be crushed. It might even survive a car riding over it.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention. With most pigeon carriers, there are dowels over the top, which allow pigeons to stick their heads up and look around. Make sure if you stack another carrier on top of a carrier, that no pigeon gets its head caught between (not likely), and also make sure the carrier is not sitting on the ground around any dogs or cats as the can and usually will, grab a pigeons head sticking up through the dowels.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hello youshould contact dennis kuhn from mn he is int the minnisota pigeon. Forum under stores or somthing save money on shipping crates are crates:)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Oh, this one too. I guy near by house sells this style. Do you like it?

http://www.pigeonsuppliesplus.com/images/training_crate.jpg
both are nice, but just to add, the cloth sided ones may be lighter to carry,. I made the mistake of buying 20 bird baskets and I could not carry them with birds in them they were too heavy,so I got a few 10 bird baskets so I can carry them, just something to consider because your a small gal. as far as the carrier idea, nope, it would be a pain loading birds from a swinging front door and those are too narrow for the birds. you want to load from the top and release from the sides. I liked both those you posted, but i think you will be happier with the folding ones they have more give for the birds and are not as ridged and lighter weight.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Oh spirit wings you could have used the 20 bird basket
you just needed a BIG bowl of wheaties ;)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Bag

I have used about any thing you can think of to transport Pigeons in my life..cardboard boxes ect. But if you are taking them out to train for flying, I recommend they can see out of the Top, and be released with as little Stress as possible. A good Carrier, is one of your best investments.... Dave
Not tochange the point to much.Ed franch took his bird's to there first race in a brown paper bag!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
HA! easy for you to say, your a big strong dude. My back would be toast if I carried 20 birds in a basket:eek: that is if I could even pick it up.:p;)
I hear ya...........my baskets will "supposedly" hold 16 birds, although I'd NEVER put that many in there. I put 10 per basket. They're not crowded and I can carry them.....put 11 in there? Forget about it!! Achy Breaky Back.....LOL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts