Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 100 pigeons. Of late, I am facing some issues.

I get eggs and 90% of the eggs do hatch successfully. But, the chicks look good for a period of time. Then, their legs become crooked. They become very weak and slowly die. This has been the case for more than 6 months. I have lost all my chicks save some 10 of them. They too end up becoming weak and have crooked legs.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are they on an anti slip mat?? This will stop legs splaying and becoming crooked, are the eggs from healthy parents? As it could also be genetic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are placed in a bowl with sand / saw dust... So, I believe Slip is nto a problem...

Again, the health of the parents should not be a problem. Because, I got a breeding pair from a friend, which was good when it was with him. However, in my coop, again I faced this issue..

Is there a Virus or something like that which could be causing this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If your friend successfully had hatchling babies from this pair I would ask him what he did with them and just see if he did anything different to what you do as a slight change with new borns can affect them dramatically.
I wouldn't think it would be a virus but not too sure without seeing them or the environment it's difficult to say. Normally things like that are a result of interbreeding pairs so them being related and having chicks or a genetic problem but just have a chat with your friend he may be able to offer you more advice.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I have about 100 pigeons. Of late, I am facing some issues.

I get eggs and 90% of the eggs do hatch successfully. But, the chicks look good for a period of time. Then, their legs become crooked. They become very weak and slowly die. This has been the case for more than 6 months. I have lost all my chicks save some 10 of them. They too end up becoming weak and have crooked legs.

Any suggestions?
Sounds like cocsidiosis You need to treat all your birds. And clean and disinfect all the waters. And make sure you have NO soiled feed they can pickup. Sulmet will do the job and May be found where poultry meds are sold. Or anything in your country used to treat this. But cocsidiosis and or Ecoli is probably your problem. As the birds get weak get lose weight. sprayled legs pronounced thin keel area And then dies. Often about 10 days to 2 weeks.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Do you give your birds calcium supplement? I suspect the babies are not getting enough. They need the calcium for strong bones and the mother needs calcium to make strong egg shells.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
HOw long are the babies living?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts