Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesturday I introduced my 11 year old niece to my pigeons and then later in the day I had her help in making a video about my coop for youtube, unitil yesturday she had the same sorry view as alot of people that pigeons are "rats with wings" but anyway take a look if you like and you will love the ending as well,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YP7bSp0VNI

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nice loft! love the birds. I wish we had your warm weather up here in ohio.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Lovely video and what a composed young niece! It looks like the exterior of your pigeon coop is chicken wire. If so, I would highly recommend that you add a layer of something more predator resistant, such as hardware cloth. Pigeons are particularly vulnerable at night since they have poor vision in the dark. A rat or snake could easily slip through the hardware cloth and attack your birds. Hardware cloth wire has wide enough spaces and weak enough wire for a larger predator (racoon, opposum, etc.) to break in.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Lovely video and what a composed young niece! It looks like the exterior of your pigeon coop is chicken wire. If so, I would highly recommend that you add a layer of something more predator resistant, such as hardware cloth. Pigeons are particularly vulnerable at night since they have poor vision in the dark. A rat or snake could easily slip through the hardware cloth and attack your birds. Hardware cloth wire has wide enough spaces and weak enough wire for a larger predator (racoon, opposum, etc.) to break in.
thanks, I build my coop based on other coop I've seen on youtube and people in my area, as you can see most of my coop is solid OSB/plywood, floor is PT lumber(i did have a mole uproot one) and where the chicken wire is the first foot of the ground is also PT, as I am always worried about my pigeon I might replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth instead of doing one over the other since that blocks light/vision(I like looking at the from distance) and since I collect all kind of junk I am working on surrounding the entire coop with glass and other more durable material because the humidity and rain is a killer here.

.....thats a lot.

Wow!!!! You got some nice birds man!!
ARe you selling any?
thank you, unfortunetly all the birds you see in there are bought from many different breeders so before I sell any I would like to breed some myself,
plus anytime I show them to other family and friends the want some
but over the summer I think I will at least double my pigeon count from current 16

G

·
i think its great that you have recruited a new pigeon lover in the process thats what counts the mostest ;)nice looking birds too thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Nice birds, coop and niece. Tell her to feed the pigeons by hand and the pigeons might end up trusting her more. And once she missed catching one, give the pigeon some time to recoup, then she can try to catch it again. That way the birds won't feel being chased and be afraid of her. I like this kind of videos. The more we encourage kids to have better views, then perhaps we would have less biased adults against pigeons. So those "rats with wings" would end up as "angels with wings".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts