Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am a new user but I have been using this site for a few months now.
And since I've seen so many others get quick effective help I decided to make my own account and join this online community.
Now lets get to my pigeons.
I have a male pigeon named Romeo who has been having many different types of poops during the last 2 months. Now however it has become worse since a horrible smell has emerged from the droppings starting almost 3 weeks ago. I have also noticed that since the smell has emerged the eggs his mate has been laying are infertile. I have no idea what he has but I think it might be from either cocci, vitamin d deficiency, liver problems, pancreas problems, bacterial infection, or maybe just a really up set stomach. I think it could be from the last one since i buy the pigeon feed per kilo from feed bins that are left in the open so maybe they are dirty but they look and smell clean. Anyway here are two photos of two different types of poop he did recently. The liquidity one is from a 3 days ago and the bubbly one is from 1 hour ago both photos were taken right after he did it. Sorry in advance they look gross :eek:
20160914_011255.jpg

20160917_164958.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guys I really need help quick on the infertile eggs problem. Now is the 19th day so the parents will abandon them soon and make a another batch which i fear will be infertile like the last five eggs :(
I have many more questions about many different subjects but this is the most pressing issue now. PLEASE ANWSER!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you haven't, I would treat the birds for Cocci.
Of course you can't be sure without a vet checking the droppings, but if that isn't possible, then I would treat for that first. All your birds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you haven't, I would treat the birds for Cocci.
Of course you can't be sure without a vet checking the droppings, but if that isn't possible, then I would treat for that first. All your birds.
Thank you for answering. I cannot readily visit a vet but I can get my hands on 4 in 1. Can you tell me please if that will be sufficient Jay3 and if powder mixed with water is better/safer or tablets. And is the hole in the front of the mouth the one that leads to the crop and the one in the back the one that leads to the lungs?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also I have been giving Romeo and his mate ACV in the water which has helped a bit. One other thing is the issue of grit. I put them in cages filled with some sand which according to one site suggests that with sand in the cages they don't need grit. Either way there are a few types of grit available to me and a large selection of feed which i will discuss in a later post. The reason i bring this up is that it looks like there are tiny chunks of undigested food in the poop sometimes which may be from lack of grit. But i had this idea a while ago and started giving them grit but the grit i give is quite small so maybe ill need a bigger one. I can post a pic of the one i gave if needed. The only other grit i saw for now is calcium carbonate but i haven't tried it yet. I have a few more questions but ill wait till someone answers the ones i mentioned above.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thank you for answering. I cannot readily visit a vet but I can get my hands on 4 in 1. Can you tell me please if that will be sufficient Jay3 and if powder mixed with water is better/safer or tablets. And is the hole in the front of the mouth the one that leads to the crop and the one in the back the one that leads to the lungs?
4 in 1's don't work. Not enough of any one drug in them to cure anything. Wasting your time and money. You need a med for just Cocci. If you don't know where the trach is, please don't put anything in his mouth. Especially water.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Also I have been giving Romeo and his mate ACV in the water which has helped a bit. One other thing is the issue of grit. I put them in cages filled with some sand which according to one site suggests that with sand in the cages they don't need grit.

That is ridiculous. Yes, they still need grit. Sand isn't going to do anything.

Either way there are a few types of grit available to me and a large selection of feed which i will discuss in a later post. The reason i bring this up is that it looks like there are tiny chunks of undigested food in the poop sometimes which may be from lack of grit. But i had this idea a while ago and started giving them grit but the grit i give is quite small so maybe ill need a bigger one. I can post a pic of the one i gave if needed. The only other grit i saw for now is calcium carbonate but i haven't tried it yet.

Calcium isn't grit. It breaks down easily to give them calcium. It isn't hard enough to break down seed to help them digest. It's good to give them, but they still need grit.
I have a few more questions but ill wait till someone answers the ones i mentioned above.
You need pigeon grit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Jay3 I will definitely be getting the cocci medicine. I'll get the powder version. Also I will buy a kilo of grit this time however like I said their are many different types so I don't know which is the best one. If you would be so kind as to show me a photo or post a link of the type of grit i should get that would be great. And can I feed this to my young birds about 2-3 months old?
Lastly do I give cocci medicine just to Romeo or all my birds even though they stay in different cages? I am very careful about contaminating any of my other birds so they don't get it. And I would only give it to them if it vaccinates and prevents future occurrences. I will have to wait and read the package when I get it. Thank you very much for telling me the truth about 4 in 1. I knew it was to good to be true!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will also get some calcium carbonate for his mate as a supplement for the past five infertile eggs. Can you tell how much I should give her and should i mix it with food or grit? And should i feed male pigeons some? Thank you for your help Jay3!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thank you Jay3 I will definitely be getting the cocci medicine. I'll get the powder version. Also I will buy a kilo of grit this time however like I said their are many different types so I don't know which is the best one. If you would be so kind as to show me a photo or post a link of the type of grit i should get that would be great. And can I feed this to my young birds about 2-3 months old?

I use KayTee Bay-Mor Hi-Calcium Pigeon grit, and really like it, but there are other brands. Google them. Don't know what is in your area. Yes, your young birds can use it. Just keep a dish in the loft where they can take it as they need it. It does pull moisture from the air though, so make sure it doesn't get wet. If it does, you will have to change it. So you will learn how much to leave in a dish that they will use in a couple of days, then you can add more.

Lastly do I give cocci medicine just to Romeo or all my birds even though they stay in different cages? I am very careful about contaminating any of my other birds so they don't get it. And I would only give it to them if it vaccinates and prevents future occurrences. I will have to wait and read the package when I get it. Thank you very much for telling me the truth about 4 in 1. I knew it was to good to be true!
Since they are in different cages, give it to the ones who need it. In a loft situation, you would treat the whole loft. It doesn't vaccinate, or prevent future occurrences.
Google it so you have a better understanding of it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I will also get some calcium carbonate for his mate as a supplement for the past five infertile eggs. Can you tell how much I should give her and should i mix it with food or grit? And should i feed male pigeons some? Thank you for your help Jay3!
I use CalciBoost calcium/vitamin D3 supplement a couple of times a week. You mix it in their water. Don't know what you have there, but it must have directions. You can boil chicken egg shells to disinfect also, break them up and mix them in with their grit. As long as they get outside in the sun, which gives them vit. D3. They need that to be able to utilize the calcium they get. Otherwise, a supplement with the D3 added would be needed. In a loft situation it just goes in the general drinking water.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for not anwsering yesterday but I didn't have time to log on. I will be going to the pigeon market within the hour since I am out of feed. But the problem is that there are no brands there just lines of feed and grit bins for every type of bird. So I have to google the grit you told me about and get one that looks similar. I will just keep an eye out for bits of oyster shell which has the calcium. I will also be checking out the pigeon pharmacy and check out there CalciBoost if they have that. But ya, so my checklist is.
1.Food
2.Grit with Calcium
3.Cocci powder for water
Lastly I will be making a new thread soon about feed. Because I read today morning on this other site that barley reduces egg production! I hope thats not true because I feed them alot of barley along with other things. Anyways that Is a question for another thread.

Thank you Jay3 for all your help :) Wish me luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hello again Jay3! I just got back an hour ago from the pigeon market.
First off thank you so much for the barley threads they were very helpful!
Heres what I got.

4 Kilos of a custom pigeon mix which I chose the ingredients of. I made the guy put 1 kilo of pigeon pellets. 1 kilo of corn mixed with pellets. 1 kilo of white and red milo and 1 kilo of barley. I will have to check if there is any wheat but there are a tiny amount of peas and saffflower .

1 kilo of this really pea rich food which I will save unless there are babies.

Grit! I found grit. They had three types. 1. Red Pigeon Grit. 2. Mineral Pigeon Grit (which is brown and has bits of sea shell) 3. Bird Grit (which has very small pieces in it)
I didn't know which to get so I asked the guy to mix all three together. Hopefully you can tell me which is best so I know next time. In the mean time I think they will ignore the Bird Grit because its very small (fine)

I went to the pharmacy and asked about romeo and he suggested two medicines. He had powder but only in big satchets for flock treatment. So I had to get tablets and capsules. The guy says I just have to make it wet then put it in his mouth and shut his beak and then he will swallow it on his own.
He had 4 in 1 but I didn't get it like you said.
I got Cocci Medicine which is also for canker which he gave me.
And he gave me medicine for salmonella and few other diseases which he says i should give together once a day for a five day course.

Today morning I researched Cocci on the internet and they advised that I must give Multivitamin eb12 when giving cocci treatment. I would like to hear your views on that. I got it just incase but I won't give it unless you recommend it. It is also in capsules.

He also said the infertile eggs may be because his *stuff* has become less potent.

I barely understood the guy but I think I got the info I need. Thank you Jay3 your the only one thats been helping me :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hello again Jay3! I just got back an hour ago from the pigeon market.
First off thank you so much for the barley threads they were very helpful!
Heres what I got.

4 Kilos of a custom pigeon mix which I chose the ingredients of. I made the guy put 1 kilo of pigeon pellets. 1 kilo of corn mixed with pellets. 1 kilo of white and red milo and 1 kilo of barley. I will have to check if there is any wheat but there are a tiny amount of peas and saffflower .

1 kilo of this really pea rich food which I will save unless there are babies.

I'm glad you got that for if there are babies. I hope you did add enough peas to your regular mix. The protein is good for them, not too much, but they do need enough.

Grit! I found grit. They had three types. 1. Red Pigeon Grit. 2. Mineral Pigeon Grit (which is brown and has bits of sea shell) 3. Bird Grit (which has very small pieces in it)
I didn't know which to get so I asked the guy to mix all three together. Hopefully you can tell me which is best so I know next time. In the mean time I think they will ignore the Bird Grit because its very small (fine)

The bird grit is probably too fine. Haven't seen them yet, but the red grit and mineral grit are probably good.

I went to the pharmacy and asked about romeo and he suggested two medicines. He had powder but only in big satchets for flock treatment. So I had to get tablets and capsules. The guy says I just have to make it wet then put it in his mouth and shut his beak and then he will swallow it on his own.

When giving a tablet, open the beak and put in the pill, then push it to the back of the throat and over the tongue. Let him close his beak and he will swallow it.

He had 4 in 1 but I didn't get it like you said.
I got Cocci Medicine which is also for canker which he gave me.

What med did he give you that is also good for canker? They require 2 different drugs. For instance Amprolium works for cocci, but Metronidazole is good for canker.

And he gave me medicine for salmonella and few other diseases which he says i should give together once a day for a five day course.

What did he give you for Salmonella? Salmonella is longer than a 5 day course. Best for that is usually but not always, Baytril (Enrofloxacyn), and drugs like that are given for 10 days. For Salmonella, even longer to kill the carrier stage.

Today morning I researched Cocci on the internet and they advised that I must give Multivitamin eb12 when giving cocci treatment. I would like to hear your views on that. I got it just incase but I won't give it unless you recommend it. It is also in capsules.

Have never heard of that. I wouldn't.

He also said the infertile eggs may be because his *stuff* has become less potent.

I barely understood the guy but I think I got the info I need. Thank you Jay3 your the only one thats been helping me :)
......................................................................................................

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The first med for cocci and canker,
Usually Amprolium for Cocci would be used for 5 days, and Ronidazole for 5 days. Not for 2 or 3 days. And I'm not sure how the mgs compare with the regular Ronidazole that we get here.
I don't even know what the last drug was for salmonella. How many days are you supposed to give it? Do you happen to know what the drug is? I guess you have to go with what you can get. I wouldn't give vitamins while giving the meds though. I have read an article that said not to.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts