Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, you seem like the experts to ask. There's a pigeon couple that laid two eggs in the eavesdrop outside my window. I notice the pigeons are always nearby, but i havent seen them sit on the eggs once since they were laid. They just sort of hang out near the eggs. Granted i dont keep 24 hour survailence on them. I 'm curious if this is normal behavior? I mean its not very warm outside right now, ranging around 5-10'C and there have been a couple rain storms that were pretty cold too, i noticed the eggs were just left unattended while that happened.

Is this normal? Or are these pigeons maybe a little young and inexperienced and these eggs wont ever hatch?

·
Registered
624 Posts
They are probably a young pair like you said so the eggs won't hatch and they will discard of the eggs when they are ready. Then they might lay another pair of eggs later.
Lucas

·
Registered
624 Posts
Agreed, some young pigeons have crazy ideas for a nest.:D One time there was a pigeon that laid and egg without a nest and started to make one next to it. Crazy little birds.:D
Lucas

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Are the eggs cold? It could just be that you are lucky enough to catch them off nest duty every time :p They do get off the nest periodically. But even then I would think you'd catch them on the nest at some point even without watching them all the time.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
My thought was that if you can see the birds they can see you and they are hopping off the nest as the window/observation area is approached by people. Just a thought.
That's a good point. Some of mine are quite skittish so it can be expected of ferals too. Pigeons can hear and see better than us so they know when we're coming!

·
Registered
624 Posts
That's a good point. Some of mine are quite skittish so it can be expected of ferals too. Pigeons can hear and see better than us so they know when we're coming!
This is also true, but think there are so many possiblities, so it's really hard to say, unless we were there with you.
Lucas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well im pretty sure they dont sit on them, i'll even notice they're left unattended in the cold for hours at a time and when i do see them, the couple seems to be cuddling eachother comfortably just eyesight distance from the eggs and never actually sitting on them. This makes me think they're not just skidding away from the window when they sense i'm around.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well im pretty sure they dont sit on them, i'll even notice they're left unattended in the cold for hours at a time and when i do see them, the couple seems to be cuddling eachother comfortably just eyesight distance from the eggs and never actually sitting on them. This makes me think they're not just skidding away from the window when they sense i'm around.
Then they could be a young couple. Or the eggs just might be unfertile and the female senses it. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Pretty old convo but thought i should add...my female seems to be scared all the time when i enter my breeding loft even when shes at the far right side from where i enter she can always sense when im coming in, and it spooks me because at times i dont think shes sitting on her eggs at all and just hanging around with the male. the male does his part but i dont think the female is doing her half of the job... is 2010 consider old birds or YB's?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.