Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Check deep inside his throat with a flashlight for yellowish growths that might indicate canker. Quite common disease, easily treated with metronidazole. Any other symptoms? Drinking plenty of water, loss of appetite, rotating movements of the crop after eating?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. I can't see any sign of canker inside her throat. She does this movement randomly (sometime before eating and sometimes after eating). Appetite seems to be normal. She has been doing this for around 10 days now, if it was canker would it not surface by now or does it take longer to be visible?

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
I saw your post on the FB group "Pigeon and dove rescue" and there were also comments regarding canker.

Just keep an eye on him and get hold of metronidazole for treatment if necessary. If he starts losing appetite, have difficulty swallowing and drinking more water than usual (producing watery droppings), then start treating him with about 40 mg once daily. Check inside his throat every second day. I think the growths only start appearing when the disease is far gone.

In the meantime, boost his immunity by adding probiotics to his drinking water, as well as apple cider vinegar (5 ml to 1 litre water).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts