Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I think that was have enough stories out here to start a show just about the drama our pigeons cause.

To make a long story short, a lady that lives 1.5 miles up the road calls me a month ago and says, "I hear you have white pigeons too, I have one that came up missing and I wondered if it was with yours."

I sort of thought, wow that would be funny, I have never heard of that. I told her that I didn't have any pigeons flying at that time. I had a set each of 5,3, and 1 week olds and the parents to busy to fly. I also told her that mine are double banded white and gray.

Hers are unbanded and she was keeping them in her old chicken coop and after they were there for a few weeks, she let them come in an out as they please and never banded them. I know some of you would be all over this, believe me, I had to hold back a bit, she is a nice older woman, she really does love her pigeons. She just happens to not really know much about keeping them safe (or possibly anything else). Trust me, I will get her converted!

So time goes on, all is good, I have been loft training my YB. They are doing so well, the were routing and ranging way better than their parents ever would. I have even realeased them a mile towards the nearest church and they all beat me home.

Well, Saturday was the first day in a long time with no rain, hail, or lightening! I let all the YBs out that wanted out, which was only 5 of 6. They all flew for a long time, but only two came back in to eat right away. The other 3, two 12 week olds and their younger sibling an 8 week old dissappeared. I was mildly concearned when they were not home at 5pm for evening feeding. I was mildly concearned at 8 pm when they were not there. I was realieved at 8:30pm when I did my loft check and counted all 10 birds in and doing fine.

The next day, my neighbor calls and simply says, "did your 3 birds make it home ok?" I was like uh, yeah how did you know cause I was the only one that even knew they were gone all day. She said, "Oh, they were at my place playing with my birds all day long and she knew that my birds are double banded gray and white." She also said that her male was holding beaks with one of mine and was getting on top of her. I was like, that is impossible she isn't even 3 months old! I hadn't even been able to figure out what the sex of my birds were yet but I was guessing the 12 week olds where girls! She said that she thought that perhaps my birds had decided to come live with hers and was sad that as soon as the sun started to go down, all three of my birds took off strait in my house's direction with her birds in hot pursuit. Her birds came back to her place later.

I really wasn't believing any off this! Then tonight was the real kicker. I cannot deny that I am bad at math but this should have been real simple. Onne loft 10 white birds a few babies with no feathers.

My husband had let them out for me at 4 so they could excersise for an hour before eating. I come home at 5 and give them some food. I noticed that only 4 birds were in and I left for gymnastics class.

I came back at 7:45 pm. My birds were all acting kind of funny. I thought, wow there are 8 birds out. How did that happen? I look in the loft, 4 birds in. I have two extra birds. Oh no! Her birds followed my birds home and it was almost dark. (I should mention here that this took me about 20 minutes to realize).

Then I sat back studied the situation. One by one, my birds began to go in the loft. Two birds were holding one of my small birds back from going in. Soon, there were only three birds left. One was a dancing cooing male, one my small banded 12 week old, and the other didn't act like a male, but wasn't my bird. My 12 week old would come down to the landing board, before she could get in, the stray male would sit and block her from going in with his tail feather sticking right through to the inside of the entrance. I knew you wouldn't believe it, so I took a picture! This went on for 15 minutes before my trap trained girl remembered that she could get in on the other side of him. Now, it it pitch black dark, my birds are all in, but now I have these stray birds, and to top it off, just the night before we had a visit from a great horned owl! I was able to catch the male, but the other stray flew away (darn it! I hope she is ok!). I left the barn light on, perhaps it will be attracted to it and go in an at least be safe. The male is in a cat carrier!

Drama!

Do you all think he was mating with her and wanted to drive her back to his loft? She obviously didn't like his accomodations, cause she wanted to get back in onto her own loft! I still say, she is way to young to breed!

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/picture.php?albumid=380&pictureid=8641

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I've had males pick out a hen too young to mate and then wait for her.
There has just got to be a NOVEL in this story somewhere....young hen and older cock?!:confused::D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charis, I needed that chuckle!

A male waiting for her. Now that would make sense, especially if all my neighbor has left are males.

I am just worried about this going on and on. And he is covered with lice! I can't help but feel like he is a bird from the wrong side of the tracks!

His parents allowed him to roam free, I am strick with my birds "in by sundown girls".

Perhaps we will have to let them get together. As soon as he is lice free and she is old enough and hold down a job... As a White Dove.

I would gladly give the girl up, but she is already imprinted here. I don't really want such a young bird to be a prisoner. Especially since she is training so well to be part of my team.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Well...de-lice him ... clean him up a bit and you may just find a totally different and completely respectable bird. The happy couple have my blessings and best wishes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
briliant i love this saga :) every couple of weeks i have a racing bird join my birds in flight and land on our neighbours roof i never get close enough to reed his ring or catch him to find out which loft he is from but hes a prety bird and better than the strays mingling with my birds! on saterday a unringed bird came in with my birds landed on the loft and wouldnt leave when i got up close i could see that it was still youn and the yellow downs were still on the head, i let out one of my birds to try and encourage the wee fella into the trap but to no avail, they flew together for a while which is when i noticed he only had 1 tail fether :( so i made it my mission to catch the young guy and it took a while but i got him into a cage away from my birds and hes eating and doing well now i need to find a good home for him :) man these birds never seace to amaze me

·
Registered
265 Posts
Telessa, I love your story! Life is never dull with pigeons, is it! A little like Romeo and Juliet of the pigeon world - families expect marriage according to their set rules, but love at first sight demolishes artificial loft boundaries!:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Romeo has moved in

Telessa, I love your story! Life is never dull with pigeons, is it! A little like Romeo and Juliet of the pigeon world - families expect marriage according to their set rules, but love at first sight demolishes artificial loft boundaries!:)
No, I do see that life isn't dull with these social creatures. Yesterday "Romeo" decided that he was going to move in. When I opened the loft door, he was sitting on a previously unoccupied perch. I don't think any of my birds have ever looked at me with the expression he did. Kind of three expressions in one, "Oh, she did see me! I plan to stay! I wonder if she is going to grab me and kick me out".

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
No, I do see that life isn't dull with these social creatures. Yesterday "Romeo" decided that he was going to move in. When I opened the loft door, he was sitting on a previously unoccupied perch. I don't think any of my birds have ever looked at me with the expression he did. Kind of three expressions in one, "Oh, she did see me! I plan to stay! I wonder if she is going to grab me and kick me out".
LOL....oh boy, what to do now....:p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Delouse him

LOL....oh boy, what to do now....:p
I guess there is only one thing to do! As Charis suggested, delouse him and give them my blessing.

Romeo's room mate from his "other" loft is also hanging around one of my young males. I am sure she will figure out how to get in too!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
LOL...Very cute! Congratulations on your new 'Blessing". It's really cool that you will let them can choose their own mates.:cool:
I'll be looking forward to more stories...there will be some!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts