Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My homer pair has recently laid eggs, first egg on 8th Apr and second on 10th Apr. Before laying eggs their droppings looked healthy. After laying eggs, the hen's dropping has become really smelly (noticed it since the first dropping after first egg).... It's smells such a bad that i've got vomiting sensation couple of times. I'm noticing the same every day

She is doing her sittings very well. Now she's eating less outside the box. So I have to leave some food/water in the box. She likes peanuts a lot. Sometimes she eats more that 30 peanuts at one stretch. I'm giving her other variety of seeds too. But i've noticed she is eating slightly lesser than she used to eat before laying eggs.

There was a heavy rain this afternoon. I left my pigeons out for feed in the evening and it was slightly drizzling also. The hen came out and did some exercise and went back to the box and sat on the eggs. I noticed that her feet were all wet. I'm not sure whether that makes the eggs infertile.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I do believe the droppings like that are because she is incubating her eggs and it gathers as she sits then when she take a break she expells it as a very large dropping and this is normal. I would cut somewhat down on the peanuts if you can--30% seems like a large quanity to me but I am sure others on this thread will give their imputs as well. Her feet wet won't hurt for eggs need a certain amount of moisture to do well but just make sure her nest is dry and the surrounding area for this could cause problem.
Good luck with your egg hatching ....c.hert

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You can give her an alfalfa tab, one per day (1/4 of a human serving, break the tab in half and open her beak and gently slide it to the back of the throat and let her swallow). I did that with a couple of my hens that stayed indoors for a period of time, and they were incubating. No more smell, I guess it was the chlorophyll. Also the nutritional benefits are wonderful, as alfalfa is loaded with minerals. Be sure to give them a drop of ACV in the water, so they don't get to alkaline.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks C. hurt.

Actually I've some more doubts. I've noticed only the hen is doing the sittings. Whenever I observe during day time, it's hen and sometime in the night, it's the hen again. I've never seen the cock doing the duty. I want to catch him doing that.

One more doubt, suppose when the hen is busy doing the duty and doesn't eat much then whether the cock feeds the hen?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can give her an alfalfa tab, one per day (1/4 of a human serving, break the tab in half and open her beak and gently slide it to the back of the throat and let her swallow). I did that with a couple of my hens that stayed indoors for a period of time, and they were incubating. No more smell, I guess it was the chlorophyll. Also the nutritional benefits are wonderful, as alfalfa is loaded with minerals. Be sure to give them a drop of ACV in the water, so they don't get to alkaline.
Thanks Trees for the suggestion. I'm giving ACV in water twice a week.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thanks C. hurt.

Actually I've some more doubts. I've noticed only the hen is doing the sittings. Whenever I observe during day time, it's hen and sometime in the night, it's the hen again. I've never seen the cock doing the duty. I want to catch him doing that.

One more doubt, suppose when the hen is busy doing the duty and doesn't eat much then whether the cock feeds the hen?
If he is not sitting on the eggs, she needs a break, and make sure she has access to food and water close by her.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you checking in the middle of the day? My boy sits on the eggs for a few hours by midday. ~11am - 2pm. Then my hen gets up and takes a massive crap, usually in the grit bowl.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah the smelly poop is normal. I've never had pigeons that didn't have smelly droppings during breeding. Not just smelly, massive also. I dont think they were ever smelly to the point where i'd throw up though. Also the cock probably sits on it for a couple hours when you're not there and I dont think the cock feeds the hen when she's on the eggs??? Never heard of this before. I may be wrong, i've just never seen it done.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you checking in the middle of the day? My boy sits on the eggs for a few hours by midday. ~11am - 2pm. Then my hen gets up and takes a massive crap, usually in the grit bowl.
I check in the morning between 6am to 9am then later in the evening between 4pm to 7pm and after that 10pm to 11pm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... Also the cock probably sits on it for a couple hours when you're not there ...
I'll wait till Saturday and then I'll try to catch him red-handed :)

... and I dont think the cock feeds the hen when she's on the eggs??? Never heard of this before. I may be wrong, i've just never seen it done.
Oh ok ... then I'll have to observe her health if she doesnt eat much. Anyways I'm leaving some food and water for her but there is a chance that the male might eat all her share :-(

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
It seems they(cock birds)take over around mid morning, then the hen returns in the afternoon sometime...it is not always like this, but that is how alot of pairs of mine do it. the sun may tell them something.... not sure.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I check in the morning between 6am to 9am then later in the evening between 4pm to 7pm and after that 10pm to 11pm.
MOST cock birds sit the nest from near 10 am to up to 5 pm The hen sits the nest through the night to about 10 am. NOW when sitting the often hold things in And then tke a big dropping when they get off the nest. NOW feed types make for size and more oder Peanuts are high carb also Just i few a day As a treat Say 3 peanuts is all you need Unless you are working the birds Such as racing. Might look at you mix and Remember cocks sit from 10 am to 5 pm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all,

My homer pair has recently laid eggs... Before laying eggs their droppings looked healthy. After laying eggs, the hen's dropping has become really smelly (noticed it since the first dropping after first egg).
Good question, anandcholli! I was wondering the same thing this morning, after noticing the large smelly poops. :D Good to hear that it's normal.

Thanks for sharing the tip about alfalfa tabs, Treesa. I might have to get some to try out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One quick question... Shall I remove those egg shells? I heard that some pigeons do eat their egg shells after the hatching. Pl. confirm.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Remove it, the stained liquid on the egg shells can attract ants and other bugs. You can wash, dry and powder the shells and put it back in the loft as a calcium supplement if needed.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
they are sweet. remember to not let the parent birds outside just in case something may happen to one of them. They need to be there to feed their babies... I only say this because your first post mentioned it.. not sure if you let them "outside" to feed or if you meant let out in the loft. you can put a crock of feed in the nest box with the parents so they do not have far to go to eat...:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts